Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy co-worker

Ok, not going to sugar coat this.

I have been working in corrections now for almost 4 months. I have a fellow officer who has been working there for 7 or 8 months. And she acts like she owns the place. I don't mind if she was a Cpl. cause there usually doing some paper work and also they earn that right. She is on the computer non-stop surfing the web which we aren't allowed to do. She gives this attitude why the hell do you need the computer. She doesn't get out on the unit to make rounds. She also has a friend from work who is on the same shift, there always talking on the phone back and forth. I am about ready to tell her to stop wasting taxpayers money. Cause that is what she does best. What is my best action?

Who else has this problem?

Damn, thay promote them mighty fast around there.

Do you know your agency's policies and applicable laws? If not, learn them. If so, use them. They are your sword and your shield. If she's sitting on her *** in a leadership position, then she's either wrong or everyone gets to sit on their asses too. Follow the example set by your leader.
    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

I have a similar problem, and this guy is my back-up officer atleast once a week. I pulled him aside one day after work, and told him if he was going to be working as my back-up, that he was going to have to start pulling his load. I work the ag/seg tank in a county jail, so it gets demanding sometimes. He just stands there, doing a crossword puzzle, oblivious to anything that may be going on. He hasn't been my back-up since we had the talk, he asked to be removed.

Not sure how that would work in your situation though. You would need to be very tactful.

Comment

Originally posted by hankrearden2000
        Damn, thay promote them mighty fast around there.

Do you know your agency's policies and applicable laws? If not, learn them. If so, use them. They are your sword and your shield. If she's sitting on her *** in a leadership position, then she's either wrong or everyone gets to sit on their asses too. Follow the example set by your leader.
        I don't think she is a cpl Hank. He said he wou;dn't really mind if she was, but I don't think she is. But, you are right, even if she was a cpl she would still be dead wrong.

Comment

Yes, I missed that. She's still a senior officer and therefor has a responsibility to help train a younger officer. Look up to her. Ask how she would handle such & such situation. Do it frequently. Call her out to where the inmates are and ask her to help handle little things because you value her judgement. If she doesn't rise to the ocassion, pull up a chair and follow her example.
          "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

When I am working, I like be up moving around non-stop and then take a break every now and then. It makes the time go by quick. If there is count and we are overstaffed on one unit, she will be the one to sit on her ***. Never fails. It's against state law to use the computer for personal issues. We can only check weather, local news and go onto state websites of our own. I am very careful as to even touch the internet due to this. I don't wanna get into a situation, and I have internet at my house anyways. (they don't need to know what sites I visit anyways.)

Other officers I guess have already complained to the Lt's about this behavior also. So I may go in and request not to work with her. And if they ask why, I will be upfront with them. She said last night I cause her so much stress. LOL. Then lead by an example and do your job then.

Comment

Dang, things aren't any better in South Dakota than they are here with lazy co-workers??? :-( We call them SLUGS here in NY.
              New York State Corrections: Home to the whiniest inmates in the country!

Comment

I personally wouldn't follow her lead. If she wants to sit on her rear and not help, do what you think is best but, do your job first and foremost paying particular attention to Officer Safety issues. Seeing as how she doesn't have your back (or hers), you are going to have to be extra vigilant on the rock.

You get one paycheck for one Man's work so do your bit, not hers. I would let it be until and unless she starts farming her work and responsibilities out to you. Then, we would have a nice face to face and private discussion about her lazy ***. Of course for me, this might be easier to do as I would be senior to her if she worked with me.

As for going to your Lt., that's your call but some here and in the biz would call you a snitch. Cheese eaters aren't welcomed in our business and find themselves on the outside quick. I personally think that the only exception to that rule would be if you saw her giving items to an inmate, bringing in dope or hooch or having sex with a thug. Being lazy unfortunately isn't an offense and would be hard to prove unless the Lt. walked in on her or, your computer experts busted her frequent surfing habits.

Whatever you do, don't follow her lead. She's wrong and you would be wrong for following her lead (or lack of it).

Comment

We have a fellow officer who is pretty lazy too. One of us went to the Major about her, and have found nothing but grief from it. We warned him that it would just boomerang. It seems that happens with the female officers here. They can do no wrong since the brass is afraid of getting an EEO right up.

Comment

I think I may just talk to a CPL. and tell them my problem. Like someone said, a snitch is a terrible thing in this biz. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. CO
                      Ok, not going to sugar coat this.

I have been working in corrections now for almost 4 months. I have a fellow officer who has been working there for 7 or 8 months. And she acts like she owns the place. I don't mind if she was a Cpl. cause there usually doing some paper work and also they earn that right. She is on the computer non-stop surfing the web which we aren't allowed to do. She gives this attitude why the hell do you need the computer. She doesn't get out on the unit to make rounds. She also has a friend from work who is on the same shift, there always talking on the phone back and forth. I am about ready to tell her to stop wasting taxpayers money. Cause that is what she does best. What is my best action?

Who else has this problem?
                      Depends on if your a rat or not. I would not say a thing. Eventually she will get caught up in her own misdoings. And if your facility has any kind of a "Computer Services department" I would bet the computer would be her nail in the coffin.
                      Last edited by grunt11b; 04-05-2007, 12:01 AM.
                      "I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight"

- General George Patton Jr

Comment

Originally posted by hankrearden2000
                        Yes, I missed that. She's still a senior officer and therefor has a responsibility to help train a younger officer. Look up to her. Ask how she would handle such & such situation. Do it frequently. Call her out to where the inmates are and ask her to help handle little things because you value her judgement. If she doesn't rise to the ocassion, pull up a chair and follow her example.
                        I wouldn't exactly follow her example, but pull your weight, don't pull hers. She is counting on you to pull both because she is your senior, dont do it. The Department will can her lazy butt for not doing her job before they would you for doing yours and not hers. And remember man, do not rat a fellow officer out for anything unless it's a crime. Laziness is not a crime. Stay safe brother, and god speed.
                        Last edited by grunt11b; 04-05-2007, 12:00 AM.

Comment

You say she only has in 7 or 8 months?? Is she on any kind of probationary status due to her time in? Just wondered if they are watching hoping she'll get better and if not they won't give her status. Or do they seem to be completly oblivious to her lack of work ethic? We had one like that once. See if they fired her on probation the union still could step in but by waiting until her probation was up and not giving her status they didn't fire her so union couldn't do anything. She shortly after got herself in trouble and got her wish to work in a prison, probably a porter or something not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewelsb
                            You say she only has in 7 or 8 months?? Is she on any kind of probationary status due to her time in? Just wondered if they are watching hoping she'll get better and if not they won't give her status. Or do they seem to be completly oblivious to her lack of work ethic? We had one like that once. See if they fired her on probation the union still could step in but by waiting until her probation was up and not giving her status they didn't fire her so union couldn't do anything. She shortly after got herself in trouble and got her wish to work in a prison, probably a porter or something not sure.
                            Everything is messed up nowadays brother. Most states are so short handed they look past people like this woman. They don't want to fire anyone because they are so short staffed.

Comment

I am still undecided what I will do. it my be one of those things where I am so ****ed off, I may just let her have my piece of mind. I have worked with her before at another job and she was the same way there. And yes like any other facility we are not really short staffed, but every officer there is another one that takes up a post.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2998 users online. 168 members and 2830 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X