300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend BOP?

Hey folks, I was just wondering if and of you BOP guys/gals would recommend the BOP as a career. My friends from college are using me as a go to guy for finding info on jobs, sympathy is appreciated. From what I have read on here you guys sound about as happy go lucky as most of us working for the gov. Just wanted your thoughts. I've looked up the BOP website and have seen the actively recruiting institutions, any places to specifically avoid ie. worse than usual for the feds. lol
    Thanks for any input
    Tac

On a positive note, the BOP pays very well and the benefits are good.
    "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Originally posted by tacmedic141
      Hey folks, I was just wondering if and of you BOP guys/gals would recommend the BOP as a career. My friends from college are using me as a go to guy for finding info on jobs, sympathy is appreciated. From what I have read on here you guys sound about as happy go lucky as most of us working for the gov. Just wanted your thoughts. I've looked up the BOP website and have seen the actively recruiting institutions, any places to specifically avoid ie. worse than usual for the feds. lol
      Thanks for any input
      Tac
      It's a great career man, it's worth checking out, good retirement, good pay.
      "I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight"

- General George Patton Jr

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the heads up! I know it's a long shot but do you know anything about these places.
        Actively Hiring:
        - FCI Dublin
        - FCC Coleman
        - FCC Forrest City
        - FCC Tucson
        - FCI Herlong
        - FCI Victorville Med II
        - USP Atwater
        I saw that most of them were actively hiring over a year ago when I graduated from college, just wondering what your thoughts were. Good wardens/good CO's to work with? or places people would kill to transfer from.
        Thanks
        Tac

Comment

Tucson

I am interested on any info on Tucson as well.
          Also, did anyone get on with the BOP via courtesy interview at a location far from the facility. Is it normal for that process to take much much longer than the regular interviews?

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the heads up! I know it's a long shot but do you know anything about these places.
            Actively Hiring:
            - FCI Dublin
            - FCC Coleman
            - FCC Forrest City
            - FCC Tucson
            - FCI Herlong
            - FCI Victorville Med II
            - USP Atwater
            I saw that most of them were actively hiring over a year ago when I graduated from college, just wondering what your thoughts were. Good wardens/good CO's to work with? or places people would kill to transfer from.
            Thanks
            Tac

"or places people would kill to transfer from." = See Victorville in the dictionary.

As others have said already, the benefits are very good, the retirement with your 401K (Thrift Savings Plan) is tough to beat. I get five weeks of paid vacation a year and 12 hours of sick leave a month. You won't start out with that but of course, I've been in awhile and have seen many changes.

Other than that, if you can stomach political correctness, should have no problem in this "woman's bureau."

I'm out when I'm fifty, not a day more.

Comment

I did a few weeks out at Tuson for some training.It was pretty laid back, now the USP will be a different story. All new USP's will get nothing but "buttheads" for a while as all new USp's are dumping grounds.

Comment

I've heard a rumor or two.

Actively Hiring:
                - FCI Dublin = expensive.
                - FCC Coleman = hug-a-thug, worse even than the typical BOP.
                - FCC Forrest City = cheap living, friendly people.
                - FCC Tucson = borderline expensive.
                - FCI Herlong = expensive.
                - FCI Victorville Med II = expensive.
                - USP Atwater = expensive.
                Thanks
                Tac
                "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Originally posted by USPKY
                  I did a few weeks out at Tuson for some training.It was pretty laid back, now the USP will be a different story. All new USP's will get nothing but "buttheads" for a while as all new USp's are dumping grounds.
                  All new prisons are dumping grounds, whether it's a FCI, Camp, or USP. The problem with the new USPs is that the majority of BOP administrators are too weak to handle real criminals. Most do okay in Camps or FCIs, but the thugs will be running a new USP before the end of the third quarterly rotation.

Comment

i

Out of that list I'd go with tucson. Cheapest cost of living and a decent town. In the midwest I'd apply at Terre Haute. Over all its one of the best joints in the bop from what I've heard and also from the recent bop morale survey. You could live in the burbs of Indy and the cost of living is fantastic compared to were I'm at. At one of the desperate joints the courtesy interview would probably work. At a joint with low need I'd suspect face to face is the better way. But you could at least do your physical at a nearby joint. Overall I would not recommend the bop as a life long career. The hug a thug/KGB mentality drives me nuts 8 hours a day. But the pay and bens are pretty good in lower cost of living parts of the country. They suck in high rent areas like nyc and CA. That is the reason why so many CA joints are on that desperate need list. Everybody there works for the CDC.

Comment

Originally posted by hankrearden2000
                      The problem with the new USPs is that the majority of BOP administrators are too weak to handle real criminals. Most do okay in Camps or FCIs, but the thugs will be running a new USP before the end of the third quarterly rotation.
                      Thats a solid truth..

Comment

Actively Hiring:
                        - FCI Dublin
                        - FCC Coleman
                        - FCC Forrest City
                        - FCC Tucson
                        - FCI Herlong
                        - FCI Victorville Med II
                        - USP Atwater
                        Thanks
                        Tac
                        Go to the BOP website, it will tell you what facilities are hiring.
                        "I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight"

- General George Patton Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Christine74 View Post
                          I am interested on any info on Tucson as well.
                          Also, did anyone get on with the BOP via courtesy interview at a location far from the facility. Is it normal for that process to take much much longer than the regular interviews?
                          Yes, you can get on with a courtesy interview at another location. Tucson is a decent town, sits in a valley surrounded by mountains. There is a USP, FCI and a camp. May be harder to get on right now as they have slowed up on hiring, but there will be openings as soon as some of the new staff quit or the activation is completed and other staff start transferring to other new institutions.

The FCI was activated in 1982, the camp in 2006 and the USP is just beginning to fill up. Probably 1/4 of the total expected USP population as of now.

Last edited by 20YearsinBOP; 06-02-2007, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Can't wait for a bad warden to go away, or for a good one to show up. Wardens and execs come and go, everybody else pretty much stays the same.

Comment

Great pics!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4272 users online. 249 members and 4023 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X