300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• california department of corrections

I want to apply for the CO's position in CA, who can tell me, is it difficult? what does the CO'' carry on the duty? and the CO's wear vest? Thanks.

I can tell you this. I saw Explorer last night a special on Correctional Facilities.. I forgot which one it was.. But This one the had batons,walkies,Tasers, and OC. This was a max though.. I'd imagine all the counties are different too. Somone will probably be able to help you better then me.

Comment

if you are wondering if it is difficult to apply, the answer is no. just go to

www.joincdcr.com

it will cover everything.
      "Hell is other people."
      - Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

u

Check out Paco. He has got your back in the CDC.

www.pacovilla.com

Comment

Originally posted by heikki
          I want to apply for the CO's position in CA, who can tell me, is it difficult? what does the CO'' carry on the duty? and the CO's wear vest? Thanks.
          We need plenty of good people out here. What? With 180,000 I/m's and growin' every day! Process takes a little time but worth the wait. I've mentioned before what every Correctional Peace officer (i.e. C/O, SGT, LT, Correctional Counselor I) carries inside the gate in other threads but here goes again. At a minimum each carries an expandable baton, OC (usually MK-9) & handcuffs. Most carry a radio. If you're inside a housing unit you'll have a personal alarm also & maybe some sort of chemical agent grenade (usually o.c but maybe blast disperse cn) on your person or in close proximity. Level III & IV prisons have leathal and less leathal weapons coverage in housing units and on the yards at all times. Level II's have it within minutes if there is an incident. By now all should have an issued stab vest. It's even written in the contract that it must be worn if issued. Anyway, at 16 weeks the academy is too long. When I went through it was 6 weeks too short, 10 weeks would be optimal. The hire process includes written exam (easy), interveiw, physical (easy), psyc. exam, background. The pay isn't bad almost all the over-time you could want at most prisons and then some, at least for the foreseeable future. Contrary to popular belief most of the 34 prisons are located in fairly reasonable areas housing price wise for a CA C/O salary. The exceptions include: San Quentin, Correctional Training Facility & Salinas Valley S.P booth of the last two are on the same piece of state land in Soledad (lowest I ever made for the year was 60k when I first started) If you're looking for some place in the sticks with great hunting/fishing/camping look at High Desert S.P. & California Correctional Center Both in Susanville, Pelican Bay S.P. in Cresent City, California Correctional Institution in Techachapi or Sierra Conservation Center in Jamestown (hard to get in to). SGT promotion is available after 2 yrs. Anyway, with the shortage of staff we have right now you can write your own ticket career wise. Beyond the prisons there are fire/conservation camps & parole agent opportunities after your first two years.
          Last edited by cccsgt; 03-31-2007, 01:24 AM.

Comment

california department of corrections

Originally posted by cccsgt
            We need plenty of good people out here. What? With 180,000 I/m's and growin' every day! Process takes a little time but worth the wait. I've mentioned before what every Correctional Peace officer (i.e. C/O, SGT, LT, Correctional Counselor I) carries inside the gate in other threads but here goes again. At a minimum each carries an expandable baton, OC (usually MK-9) & handcuffs. Most carry a radio. If you're inside a housing unit you'll have a personal alarm also & maybe some sort of chemical agent grenade (usually o.c but maybe blast disperse cn) on your person or in close proximity. Level III & IV prisons have leathal and less leathal weapons coverage in housing units and on the yards at all times. Level II's have it within minutes if there is an incident. By now all should have an issued stab vest. It's even written in the contract that it must be worn if issued. Anyway, at 16 weeks the academy is too long. When I went through it was 6 weeks too short, 10 weeks would be optimal. The hire process includes written exam (easy), interveiw, physical (easy), psyc. exam, background. The pay isn't bad almost all the over-time you could want at most prisons and then some, at least for the foreseeable future. Contrary to popular belief most of the 34 prisons are located in fairly reasonable areas housing price wise for a CA C/O salary. The exceptions include: San Quentin, Correctional Training Facility & Salinas Valley S.P booth of the last two are on the same piece of state land in Soledad (lowest I ever made for the year was 60k when I first started) If you're looking for some place in the sticks with great hunting/fishing/camping look at High Desert S.P. & California Correctional Center Both in Susanville, Pelican Bay S.P. in Cresent City, California Correctional Institution in Techachapi or Sierra Conservation Center in Jamestown (hard to get in to). SGT promotion is available after 2 yrs. Anyway, with the shortage of staff we have right now you can write your own ticket career wise. Beyond the prisons there are fire/conservation camps & parole agent opportunities after your first two years.
            May I lateral transfer here?

Comment

I just moved to So Cal and I am going to apply for CDCR. I have found out that CDCR will not give you a lateral. I was a gang sgt /safe prison coordinator with TDCJ and I still have to go through the whole process, which I don't mind.

Comment

california department of corretions

Originally posted by Tx_Bossman
                I just moved to So Cal and I am going to apply for CDCR. I have found out that CDCR will not give you a lateral. I was a gang sgt /safe prison coordinator with TDCJ and I still have to go through the whole process, which I don't mind.
                ggod luck! if you get good news, tell me please. Thank you!

Comment

i am currently going through the CO process. i have my PAT on April 17th. they said if all goes well then i should be able to make one of the July academy dates.

Comment

Was just curious, but are you P.O.S.T. Certified after the academy? As in, if you wanted, you could lateral to say a sheriff or police agency without having to attend an academy of their own? I know every agency is different and some may swear you in as a police officer while others have you attend the academy anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisfnrb7
                      Was just curious, but are you P.O.S.T. Certified after the academy? As in, if you wanted, you could lateral to say a sheriff or police agency without having to attend an academy of their own? I know every agency is different and some may swear you in as a police officer while others have you attend the academy anyway.
                      Nope. You must go through a certified POST course in order to do that. After CDCr Academy you are C.P.O.S.T. ceritified. Don't quote me but I believe that the O.C., baton, chemical agents and a few more things are P.O.S.T. equivelent, but at CDCr there is not much emphasis on the Penal Code and is more in line with what you'll do in the prison rather than the street. After all, I cann't remember when the last time I performed the P I T manuver on the main line.

Comment

Nope. You must go through a certified POST course in order to do that. After CDCr Academy you are C.P.O.S.T. ceritified. Don't quote me but I believe that the O.C., baton, chemical agents and a few more things are P.O.S.T. equivelent, but at CDCr there is not much emphasis on the Penal Code and is more in line with what you'll do in the prison rather than the street. After all, I cann't remember when the last time I performed the P I T manuver on the main line.
                        Yea really lol. Makes sense.

Comment

yes, we are P.O.S.T certified, the lowest level of P.O.S.T, and that allows us to make Peace Officer Status arrest while we are on duty. It covers arrest and evidence proceedures, firearms. You get a P.O.S.T certificate and also, when I went thru, a C.P.O.S.T certificate. But, we are not qualified to lateral to P.D or Sherrif because we are not full P.O.S.T cerified.
                          Last edited by quentin3434; 04-06-2007, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Hey Bigjohn,

How long did it take you from when you got your background letter till the time you are doing your PAT test?

Thanks,
                            roadtripjoe

Comment

Originally posted by quentin3434
                              yes, we are P.O.S.T certified, the lowest level of P.O.S.T, and that allows us to make Peace Officer Status arrest while we are on duty. It covers arrest and evidence proceedures, firearms. You get a P.O.S.T certificate and also, when I went thru, a C.P.O.S.T certificate. But, we are not qualified to lateral to P.D or Sherrif because we are not full P.O.S.T cerified.
                              Good lookin' out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6247 users online. 346 members and 5901 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X