Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading to the NYSDOCS Academy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Heading to the NYSDOCS Academy!

    Hey all,

    This is my first post here but I have been reading a lot on these forums and have to say there is a lot of information here that I couldn't find anywhere else. I'm 23 and from the Watkins Glen area in upstate NY. I got the call from my investigator to report to the academy in Albany. Been waiting a long time to get into this kind of field. I have a few questions that I've been wanting to know, sorry if these have been aksed before. I have heard what the final PT test is like but what is the daily PT training like? How much running, situps and pushups-I'm sure PT consists of more than these three things what else is there? Do you train for any of the 7 events that are in the final PT during the daily PT? I'm almost 6' tall but very very thin-probably gonna be the thinnest guy there I'm sure lol, I have confidence in myself but is my lack of weight gonna have any set backs? When we're not doing PT what is the rest of the day like what kind of courses do they make you take besides the weapons training and self defense?

    Thanks in advance

  • #2
    The daily PT goes like this....The first week, you take the practice course...Depending on how good you did they group you into 1 of 3 groups,A-being in good physical shape,B-being in average physical shape, and C-below average physical shape. The first week also goes through instructional PT of most of the excercises you will be doing. Everyone basically does the same excerises, but the reps vary. In C group ,you may do 200 side straddle hops(jumping jacks), in A group you might do 1000. As far as the academic stuff, some courses are cool like,contraband and frisk and transportation, but then there are a lot of snoozers,especially in the final week. You will get like 4 classes just on sexual harrassment. Chemical Agents was cool,painful....but cool. If you have any other questions, dont hesitate to ask.

    Comment


    • #3
      Congrats.& Good Luck.

      Hey - I too am waiting on the call, WAITING.... took the test april 06, when did you take the test? What was your score.I dont mean to sound forward but i think you know how some of us are feeling any information would be greatly appreceated. Tmanj.

      Comment


      • #4
        tj i too took april 06 test just got call feb 16 to report march 11 took awhile

        Comment


        • #5
          Congrats Whiplash 747

          Great, I am 947 on the list, Did they call you or send you a letter?
          Thanks for the info.... Stay safe Stay Alive. Tmanj.

          Comment


          • #6
            Congrats. Most police academies have since changed to a different model. With all the lawsuits and injuries/deaths in police academies, they have gone to a softer model which looks for overall improvement. You might not find this in black and white, but that's mainly what they are looking for. Good luck, and be ready. Running, Situps, Pushups, Pull Ups, Mountain Climbers, etc.
            LT's Challenge Coins and Promotional Items.
            LT's Challenge Coins on Facebook
            Custom Challenge Coins, Dog Tags, Key Chains, Wristbands, and Patches.

            **I was an NJPrisonCop when I joined this forum. I am now a NJPrisonLt**

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tmanj
              Hey - I too am waiting on the call, WAITING.... took the test april 06, when did you take the test? What was your score.I dont mean to sound forward but i think you know how some of us are feeling any information would be greatly appreceated. Tmanj.

              I took the test in april too. I know how you guys that are waiting are feeling. I thought they'd never call me in. I got the call two weeks ago, enough time to give my current employer notice. I'm sure you'll hear something soon. They're opening up another academy at Willard in April too so some people that are still waiting may be sent up there.

              Comment


              • #8
                How much running do they start you off with, a few miles more/less? How many situps and pushups do they want new recruits to start off doing? As of now I can do roughly 35 pushups and about the same or a little more situps which is more than most people I know can do but it still doesn't seem like much.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Do as many as you can...they can yell at you all they want... There are only a few ways you can fail out of the academy.
                  1.Fail 2 written tests
                  2.Fail the PPT test in your seventh week
                  3.Miss 3 consecutive PT sessions
                  4.Not Qualify with the revolver

                  There are no sit-ups or pull-ups in this academy. There are a lot of push-ups,flutter kicks,Jane Fondas,mountain climbers,side straddle hops,sqaut thrusts,muel kicks,ski jumps, and many more....

                  Depending on what PT group you are in the running varies. The C group will jog around the academy like 3 times, The A group sometimes runs up the academy stairs holding big wrestling mats over their heads. Remember,as long as you show an effort they will not hassle you.

                  Also, try to get very good at the Front Lean and Rest Position. Its the UP part of a push-up. Thats what they make everyone do when the class gets in trouble. They will make you stay in that position for quite some time.
                  Last edited by WarpedJoeSI; 02-27-2007, 02:49 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hey Warped, thanks for all the great info, I've been maxing out on my pushups lately, I'm at about 35-40 right now. I really should have focused on running a little more I ran about a mile yesterday but it was all up hill and it just about killed me, lol. What exactly is a mountain climber? I've never heard of it before or is it exactly what it sounds like? I'll definitely start working on the Front lean and rest position now. Thanks again for all the great info.

                    Originally posted by WarpedJoeSI
                    Do as many as you can...they can yell at you all they want... There are only a few ways you can fail out of the academy.
                    1.Fail 2 written tests
                    2.Fail the PPT test in your seventh week
                    3.Miss 3 consecutive PT sessions
                    4.Not Qualify with the revolver

                    There are no sit-ups or pull-ups in this academy. There are a lot of push-ups,flutter kicks,Jane Fondas,mountain climbers,side straddle hops,sqaut thrusts,muel kicks,ski jumps, and many more....

                    Depending on what PT group you are in the running varies. The C group will jog around the academy like 3 times, The A group sometimes runs up the academy stairs holding big wrestling mats over their heads. Remember,as long as you show an effort they will not hassle you.

                    Also, try to get very good at the Front Lean and Rest Position. Its the UP part of a push-up. Thats what they make everyone do when the class gets in trouble. They will make you stay in that position for quite some time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A few more questions I forgot to ask. Where does the PPT take place is it inside or outside. The dummy you have to drag for 40' is it laying on a blanket or is there something wrapped under the arms and you pull it. What is the floor like that you pull it on, does it move real easy like on a wooden floor? I can pull my brother on a sleeping bag 40' in less than ten seconds but its easy cause the sleeping bag has a slick surface running across a carpeted floor. Also the flight of stairs how many steps are there in one direction? Sorry for all the questions just wanna be prepared. Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mtdodgethis02
                        A few more questions I forgot to ask. Where does the PPT take place is it inside or outside. The dummy you have to drag for 40' is it laying on a blanket or is there something wrapped under the arms and you pull it. What is the floor like that you pull it on, does it move real easy like on a wooden floor? I can pull my brother on a sleeping bag 40' in less than ten seconds but its easy cause the sleeping bag has a slick surface running across a carpeted floor. Also the flight of stairs how many steps are there in one direction? Sorry for all the questions just wanna be prepared. Thanks
                        I have the same question...I am taking my agility on may 17th...they said i have to pull a 160 pound dummy but it says it will be laying on the blanket...what is the floor like and do they time it?
                        It's Blue Against Green...These colors dont run French boys do...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have been checking the posts here for a while to get a feel for the process. I took the Sep O6 test and am ranked 33. I am grouped with a bunch of other guys who scored a 90 on my exam. I did my BI/Physical/Agility yesterday. Seems to have went well I was totaly honest about everything. Wondering if anyone has heard when guys from my group will get called to academy. The head of investigations said that some guys/gals have already been called from my exam.
                          "I'm not racist or prejudice I hate everyone equally."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by aqfyn3st
                            I have the same question...I am taking my agility on may 17th...they said i have to pull a 160 pound dummy but it says it will be laying on the blanket...what is the floor like and do they time it?

                            During the agility the dummy has the blanket rolled up and wrapped under its arms and around its back, so you're pulling on the two ends of the blanket and most of the dummy is directly touching the floor. The floor is very smooth so its easy, even me being very underweight had no problem moving it-the only problem is everything in the agility is in one tiny room so when you're dragging the dummy you have to maneuver around a bunch of people that are doing other aspects of the agility. The agility exam is very easy-the stairs you climb are on a small portable staircase and you only go up three steps and come back down, the ladder bolted to the wall is about 5'. It isn't timed during the agility. I'm hoping that dragging the dummy in the PPT is the same as pulling it in the agility. Hope this helps. Anybody know how many steps are in the PPT? I'm trying to time myself on this and would have a better idea how I'd do if I had a certain number of stairs to climb.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The Agility and the PPT are quite different. As MTdodge said, the agility is in a tiny room,but it is ridiculously easy. The PPT at the academy is in the gym, its a standard slick,wooden gym floor. The dummy has a handle on it,so you can pull it easier. The trick with that is you have to use your legs,thats where all the strength is. The stairs are a little hard because you are already tired at that point.There are about 15-20 stairs. The hard part is that the staircase is very narrow and the stairs are small and steep. The Mountain climber is kinda difficult to explain,but basically the starting position looks like when track runners crouch down to get ready to race,with their feet apart and their hands touching the ground,then, without moving your hands,you move your feet back and forth. Also,remember this, all the exercises are counted mainly with a 4 count. So, its counted 1-2-3 1 1-2-3 2. You are doing twice as many of the exercise. They do different variations of push-ups also Diamond,8 count,4 count,2 count. It depends on the instructor that day. Trust me, it sounds crazy. but dont sweat it. The one thing to remember, they will try and scare you out of there from the Sunday you get there up until your 3rd week. They pretty much lay off you after the chemical agents portion.

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8236 users online. 253 members and 7983 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X