300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDCR questions for a new guy

I just applied for the CDCR and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the process. I haven't even taken the first test and I wanted to know what to study for. Thanks alot guys.

i'll bite. i'm pretty far in the process. the test is essentially a basic skills- reading comprehension/interpreting, punctuation and sentence structure, spelling and math- assessment. honestly, i can't understand how one couldn't pass it. if you got at least a C average throughout school, you should ace it. none of the work is college level.

the math is basic multiplication, addition, subtraction and division- no decimals or fractions, really not complicated at all. while they tell you it could take four hours, it took me two. after that, if you pass, you will take the psych test in the same day- just the test. this consists of approximately 800 yes or no personality profile questions. you are allotted 4 hours for this also. it took me 1.5.

in short, don't approach it with too much anxiety. it was really pretty easy. the challenging part of the process is the psych interview. if you get that far be honest and forthright about everything and, if your background clears, hope for the best.

i apologize in advance if any of my comments seem inflammatory. i do not intend to be disrespectful to any officers or potential candidates. i am just being honest in my assessment of the basic skills test. it really was basic.
    Last edited by cirrus; 02-22-2007, 09:23 AM.
    "Hell is other people."
    - Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Hows it going

How does it work out there guys? When you are applying do you get a choice in where you work? Or is it a dream list you make out? Do you know prior to taking the job where you'll be at and how long do you have to stay at your first joint before you can transfer? I've always wondered about the cdc.

Comment

thanks alot cirrus. i got pretty good grades so it shouldn't be a problem. do they do an oral interview i/e did you wear a suit to the test?

SHU- i hope you get a choice of were you go but i have 3 or 4 facility's only about an hour or closer from me the web site said that you make a "top 3" list and the try to place you there.

Comment

hey john,

no need for a suit at the test. i just wore jeans and a t shirt. it is actually monitored by a couple general employees who really offer very little in the way of advice about the process. they are strictly proctors who are present during testing periods. there are no officers present. if you do the psych interview then a suit is a good idea.

and to follow up on Shu's question- john is right and if you refuse 3 offers you are thrown out of the process. i'm not sure about length of time and transfers yet. you are first offered work at a particular institution and if you accept an academy date is set.
          "Hell is other people."
          - Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

When I took my test it was all reading. Alot of grammer questions and incomplete sentences. I did not have any math problem just a whole bunch of reading. In general just be stress free and there no dress code.
            It's Blue Against Green...These colors dont run French boys do...

Comment

Originally posted by SHU
              How does it work out there guys? When you are applying do you get a choice in where you work? Or is it a dream list you make out? Do you know prior to taking the job where you'll be at and how long do you have to stay at your first joint before you can transfer? I've always wondered about the cdc.
              Usually, when they offer you an academy date they give you a choice. I and most everyone I know had one choice. So, no choice. But I know some who had three or four choices. We're so short C/O's right now I think you almost have your choice where to go. I've heard some new hires say that they called first didn't like any of their choices, said, "Let me think about it." Then called back later, talked to someone else and had a whole different list to choose from. As far as transfering once you get in, it varies so much it's almost impossible to give any general rule. I've seen some transfer in months and some in 1 or two years going to the same joint. Like everything else its all about timing, persitence and who you know.
              Last edited by cccsgt; 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM.

Comment

nb

Thanks for the info cccsgt. You guys really that bad off. What happened? Have they had a hiring freeze on or are you just getting so many new admissions. I hear your over crowding is real bad. Watch your six with the stakeholders and thanks again for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU
                  Thanks for the info cccsgt. You guys really that bad off. What happened? Have they had a hiring freeze on or are you just getting so many new admissions. I hear your over crowding is real bad. Watch your six with the stakeholders and thanks again for the info.
                  SHU,
                  It's not just CDCR. It's all of California. My last background update class I attended in November, the instructor stated CA has 17,000 LE vacancies. More and more departments are their lowering standards and paying to put cadets through the academy. The pool of good qualified applicants is very shallow for all agencies. If a good applicant applies with our department, you can bet that that there are several other agencies looking at them as well.

Comment

just wanted to let y'all know that I passed my written and I have my PAT on April 17th. thank you for all the comments

Comment

see, john. told ya it was easy.

can't tell you anything about the job yet. that will be a-whole-nother gig, i'm sure.

did you take it in rancho cucamonga?
                      "Hell is other people."
                      - Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

k

17,000 slots! What the hell is going on out there? Nobody wants to be the poleece anymore in CA? I here the LASD is hiring a lot. I thought about applying with them but they don't have a out-of-towner testing program

Comment

yes i did take it in rancho cucamonga, not to far for me but there were like 200 people there and i would say at least 1/4 were out of state. they had to cut it off at 100 and there were alot of ****ed people. they only give the test once a day so...

Comment

Another update: I passed my PAT today and now am waiting for the BI to call.

Comment

Good luck hearing anything from your BI. I have been in the hiring process since last July, been in backgrounds since Oct. 23 of last year. So yeah, its been a long road thus far. After my PAT and background interview, I didn't hear anything for several months until I took it upon myself to call and find out who my BI was. I had to call and bug her. Now had my medical three weeks ago, my original BI quit, so now I have a new BI, called him on Monday and he told me I have been pushed back until July 27, and that he has to finish 20 backgrounds ahead of me, lol. So unless Southern California is different than Northern California, I say hang in there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5360 users online. 309 members and 5051 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X