Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, hoping to become UK Prison Officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello, hoping to become UK Prison Officer

    Hi everyone

    I'm new and I hope it's OK for me to post here! I have spent ages trying to find some forums to ask for advice.
    I've applied to become a UK prison officer as it's something I'd really love to do. I am waiting to hear back from my application but I'm hopeful I will be invited to the next stage. I'd just really appreciate any tips or advice regarding the assessment centre, numerical tests, ect. Any idea of the pass rate on these? I'd love to hear what the training is like too if anyone here has trained in the UK
    Here is a little bit about me...I'm Irish, living in Essex in the UK, am 36, have been self employed for several years, owned a retail shop, managed staff. I was a member of the Samaritians in my spare time. I'd like to have a career in which I can make a difference to peoples lives. I know it won't be a bed of roses but I think I would make a good prison officer. So any help you can give me while I'm applying would be much appreciated!

    Looking forward to getting to know you all.

    Carol

  • #2
    Welcome to the board.

    I am going to be bluntly honest with you, because it's the right thing to do.

    If you are looking for a career where you will "make a difference" in peoples lives, being a CO is a bad choice. Cons will take advantage of your goodwill, and they will regard you as an easy mark to be manipulated and played. At best your co workers will regard you as inneffectual, and at worst they will consider you a liability.

    Sorry if this bumms you out, but it needs to be said.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi,

      Thanks for the reply. Its true I would like to be involved in a career which involves dealing with people, but believe me I'm well able to stand up for myself and be assertive. I won't be walked on and am very capable of taking charge. I've managed 20 staff of young men in my past job and before that worked in a factory of 500 people as a machine operator, 99% of them being male - I was the only female. I did my job very well and am confident I am no pushover. I know it's hard to tell in a few lines of a forum how I am coming across, and I may have sounded like a "do-gooder" so I will forgive you for thinking that
      Having said all that I would still love to hear from anyone that is working in UK prisons.

      Thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by effinggoof
        Welcome to the board.

        I am going to be bluntly honest with you, because it's the right thing to do.

        If you are looking for a career where you will "make a difference" in peoples lives, being a CO is a bad choice. Cons will take advantage of your goodwill, and they will regard you as an easy mark to be manipulated and played. At best your co workers will regard you as inneffectual, and at worst they will consider you a liability.

        Sorry if this bumms you out, but it needs to be said.
        I disagree. I think we can make a huge difference in lives. Inmates on my unit are respectful, for the most part. Even when I'm not there, they treat other officers well. Of course there is always the exception. Those are the ones that get the 'extra attention.' I challenge others to come to my unit to shake down, and rarely is anything major found. I know they are still going to gamble and run stores. They are criminals. But, they learn to show respect and become somewhat more humble.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Stinking Badges
          I disagree. I think we can make a huge difference in lives. Inmates on my unit are respectful, for the most part. Even when I'm not there, they treat other officers well. Of course there is always the exception. Those are the ones that get the 'extra attention.' I challenge others to come to my unit to shake down, and rarely is anything major found. I know they are still going to gamble and run stores. They are criminals. But, they learn to show respect and become somewhat more humble.


          If you truly believe what you've posted you have some of the most manipulative inmates I've ever heard of. "Most" inmates are career criminals, going to jail is a job hazard. Their main goal while incarcerated second to getting released is to make their stay at the State hotel as comfortable as possible. Sometimes this includes compromising staff, other times its just a matter of convincing officers they're reformed.

          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.
          Last edited by Bowles; 09-25-2006, 10:52 PM. Reason: Flubbed up my "Their" with "There" duh
          Be sure you're right, then go ahead
          Davy Crockett

          Never pick a fight with an old man.
          If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you
          .


          PM me if you wanna swap patches.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bowles


            If you truly believe what you've posted you have some of the most manipulative inmates I've ever heard of. "Most" inmates are career criminals, going to jail is a job hazard. There main goal while incarcerated second to getting released is to make their stay at the State hotel as comfortable as possible. Sometimes this includes compromising staff, other times its just a matter of convincing officers they're reformed.

            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.
            Exactly what I thought when I read that.

            Comment


            • #7
              I am applying to work in a mainly young offenders instution.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by UKgal
                I am applying to work in a mainly young offenders instution.
                Juveniles!!!!!!!

                Did that for two years (and only as a relief officer) and never, ever, ever again would I consider it.

                I'll gladly take a unit with 100 Level 5's over a pod with 20 juveniles, any day.

                Spent more time, in those two years, ducking punches and other nice items, than I have in the rest of my time as a CO.

                What do you tell a 15 year old doing double life that is going to make him want to change his ways?

                Comment

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 4417 users online. 211 members and 4206 guests.

                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                Welcome Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X