Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this be a problem?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently applying for both state and county corrections in my area, and am scheduled to begin the application process for several state facilities on June 17th.

I will soon be starting law school on a part-time, evening classes basis. Class will go from 6-8 in the evening, Monday through Thursday. The time and work commitment is kept low because the program in designed for those with full-time jobs. School will last for approximately 4 years, and it could be another year after that for me to find a position in a local Prosecutor's Office.

My question is, will I still be a possible candidate for Corrections while still attending law school? Other than the actual time spent in class, I would be offering open availability, including split shifts and coming in on short notice.

That is unlikely, but possible. Shift assignments, after the academy, are, in ADC, up to individual units. If you tell them what you want to do, to attend class, not only will they work with you AFTER you get there, but ADC has an educational benefit. See if your system does, too.

Comment

The answer rests with the scheduling policies of the agency you wind up working for, which is usually governed by the union contract. Most agencies have shift bidding by seniority. Some (but not many) offer preferential scheduling (over seniority) for those attending school.

In most law enforcement jobs, one of the mimimum qualifications is that you must be available for work when required by the employer. If there is no preferential treatment and you are unable to work assigned shifts because of school, then you will have to decide between keeping your job or going to school.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13115 users online. 480 members and 12635 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X