300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protective custody?

Do incarcerated close family members of LEO need to be in protective custody?

Any special precautions the LEO should take when visiting to protect the family member?

HUH???? WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT???

I don't know of ANY LE who would visit anyone in jail PERIOD!! A family member incarcerated is in my opinion,disowned. And HOW would the facility know you are related to an LE??? If you do the crime..do the time..don't throw your LE's family member's name into it.
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 12-07-2005, 11:04 PM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkin
      Any special precautions the LEO should take when visiting to protect the family member?
      DOn't know how its done now but years back if you id'ed yourself ahead of time to the correctional officers, they would pull the inmate out and tell him that the police were here to interview him. That way if another inmate spotted you with him and knew you were a cop, they would never connect you as a relative.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I know they don't do that here. I've got a couple cousins with the same last name as me (not a very common name either) But they never got spesial treatment. And I've got quite a few familly members in corrections.

To say the least we are well known. I always find it funny when an offender from one prison seens my name and asks if I'm related to another officer. Then when I say yes they tell me what a ***** that guy is. I always say, "Thats funny, he's the nice one in the family, the rest of us are the *******s"!

Comment

When I worked in the prison system.... If you had a family member in the system... you were never on the same unit together....
          Here in the jail house.. we have had family members come in and they were keep in the booking area/holding area seperated from the other criminals so as to not be taken advantage of. Alot of times, the oncall magistrate judge comes in al sets a bond so that the family member is not there long, if they can be bonded. If not then they are held in holding.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
            HUH???? WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT???
            An honest attempt to get info by a relatively new LEO who needs to know.

I don't know of ANY LE who would visit anyone in jail PERIOD!! A family member incarcerated is in my opinion,disowned.
            Actually, I know of several LEOs who visit incarcerated family members. One is a very high ranking official. But I don't know any of them well enough to ask this.

And HOW would the facility know you are related to an LE??? If you do the crime..do the time..don't throw your LE's family member's name into it.
            I'm NOT the BG.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkin
              An honest attempt to get info by a relatively new LEO who needs to know.
              Actually, I know of several LEOs who visit incarcerated family members. One is a very high ranking official. But I don't know any of them well enough to ask this.
              I'm NOT the BG.
              My response was not intended to say you were the BG. Apologies if you felt attacked.

I would hope that any individual who was in LE and had a family member incarcerated would realize that visiting them would be a conflict of interest, not to mention a slap in the face.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Why would visiting an incarcerated bona fide relative be a conflict of interest?

I understand about not (knowingly) aiding and abetting the criminal activity, participating in any cover-up, or benefiting from such activity...

When considering the visitation question, does it make a difference whether the person is in jail awaiting trial with the presumption of innocence, or incarcerated after being found guilty and the sentencing hearing? What about a first-time offender vs. repeat? Or the type of crime? Juvenile vs. adult? Or the type of facility (Fed vs. State, max vs. med vs. min security)?

And what do you do after the incarcerated family member is released? Especially if the relationship is such that you can't just cut him/her out of your life.

Comment

As a C/O working the jail I have had nephews incarcerated in general population. As I did rounds on these PODS they treated me as any other C/O. They addressed me as C/O or by my last name. I treated them as any other inmate. As a Booking/Intake Officer I have Booked in a nephew. I never give them any special treatment or anything they shouldn't have. The only thing I have ever done is call my sister when her son had been extradited from PA to MD to let her know he was here and ok. I did this for her only.
                  None of my nephews ever asked for or had been given P/C because of me being an Officer here at the jail.

Comment

I have a BIL who is in prison in Illionois. I have gone to see him. My husband is Legally blind and cannot drive, so I take him. I follow all the rules like anyone else. I do not ask for special favors. First it is differant state and they would tell me to f$^* off anyways LOL I also do not have to state where I work or what I do when I go see him...

I also have had 2 ex boyfriends in custody and almost all my cousins. My brothetr and I are the only ones who have never been in trouble like the rest of the cousins. I turned my one cousin in to P & P for being in a bar. best thing that ever happened to him. He went to prison, and has been sober ever since. Been out 5 years now. When he was in the Co jail, I wrote a matter of to my cpls, and advised them I could do my job professionally , couldnt say he wouldnt try to get me to do things. I had a talk with him, telling him, I had him out in here, so while he ws here, if he messed up with me, I would have no problem placing him in Seg. He was fine. He was also told to keep it between me and him that we were related. I am still allowed to run the dorm they are in, and talk to them like I would anyone else there. BUT if I could not be be profesional, or it was a closer person like a brother, I would have to step back.

Just because people have relatives in jail, or prison, does not mean ppl cannot continue to love thier family and keep things on the up and up.My relatives know I will not do anything to jepordize my job...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4013 users online. 201 members and 3812 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X