300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get foot in the door?

when a person wants to become a police officer they can always get peeks of what it is like on the job with things like ride-alongs to a cadet job. Are their any programs to work with or watch and see how things are done and ran. Besides what i see on TV and read online here i really dont know what it is like to be a CO, and what i see on TV i doubt they are accurate.

I know of no programs within the NC DOC, but I can't speak for other states. If you watch "Lock Up" or "The Big House" they can give you some idea of what its like. What you'll never understand until you do it is the first day you walk thru that gate and the hairs on the back of you neck stand up when hundreds of inmates are eye balling you.
    Be sure you're right, then go ahead
    Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
    If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

got to love it

My explanation of the job is that you have to be 60% sane and 30% crazy and you will be just fine. How many people besides c/o's and the devil would put up with some of the stuff we do?
      If your Scared, you can get in my pocket!!

Comment

Hey Bowles got a question. I've applied with a couple of pd's been placed on some lists for hire. I'm in the process of applying with the jail here in TX. In regards to the inmates, I know how to somewhat handle criminals on the street (military police) but within the confines of a correctional facility how does one hold himself. I know you dont show the fact your afraid, always be fair, do what you say you are going to, watch your back. Got all of that stuff down. But like you said earlier, when you walk thru the gate and they are all eye ballin' you. Do you just walk with you head facing forward, do you eye ball them back. Myself I would just walk thru them like they didnt exist. What are your thoughts.
        "evil doers beware, where ever you may be"

Comment

Depends on who they are and whats happening. I usally pull them aside and ask them whats up. They say what you talking about, and I say There must be a problem with them staring me down whenever I walk by. They usually say there is not, and I say ok lets change the looks.... It USUALLY takes care of it. Then they also see you are not affraid to confront them for little things. If not you have ways you can take care of it LOL

Comment

Just depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll walk up and ask them what they need. Sometimes I just keep trucking. What I was referring too in my other post was the uneasy feeling you get when you first start to work in a prison system. Unfortunately the feeling does go away somewhat which allows many officers to become complacent.
            Be sure you're right, then go ahead
            Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
            If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

I agree with Fergie. You definitely cannot be a quiet or shy person to do this job. You need to be very vocal and sometimes have more guts than brains. Don't get me wrong, you need intelligence in the job becuase alot of thinking and planning is required. Just be very alert, and confident in your abilities. If you are scared or nervous, they will eat you alive. Stand firm and go by the book and you'll do fine. Just never become a bully. You do however have to show them you are not scared to jump right in the middle of a situation and take charge. Look them in the eye. Always. The more you work the job the more you'll learn. Period. I enjoy my job and hope to retire as a Captain someday.
              “Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.” - Erwin Rommel

Comment

Exactly:

Originally posted by Bowles
                I know of no programs within the NC DOC, but I can't speak for other states. If you watch "Lock Up" or "The Big House" they can give you some idea of what its like. What you'll never understand until you do it is the first day you walk thru that gate and the hairs on the back of you neck stand up when hundreds of inmates are eye balling you.
                Bowles hit that one right on the head. Some of the A&E and Discovery channel shows they show about prisons/jails are quite interesting but they don't compare at all to the jail I work at. If you want to work corrections you need to check whatever ego you have at the door and realize the badge isn't a bulletproof vest. You can be friendly with the inmates but do not ever be their friend (Cute one huh?). And whatever way you treat the inmates whether its fair and to the book or loose and easy stay that way. Don't alter the way you treat them or they will see it and use it against you.
                - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

Be FAIR, FIRM and CONSISTENT. Keep your patience and watch your back. NEVER EVER EVER Trust them. They will stick you in a second.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2776 users online. 157 members and 2619 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X