Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOP Lodges

Any other FOP members out there from Corrections-LEO's:

Just checking with my fellow county, state, federal brothers out there who have joined FOP Lodges in your local area. I am in the Bureau of Prisons in Illinois we have joined the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 98. We have the AFGE for our Union but joined the Local FOP lodge to meet other LEO's in the area and support the FOP. The FOP gives you a FOP Active Membership card and legal resources to use if needed. I know from joining the FOP you have to:

ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP

Any full-time, sworn law enforcement officer with arrest power who is employed by a government entity may become a member of the Fraternal Order of Police.

Rhode Island FOPs

Rhode Island FOPs are a joke, comprised to attend conferences and funerals so members can get drunk and talk about how tight they are. Bull****.
    Here is part of a message I have sent to my FOP lodge, the state and national lodges, all ignoring my correspondence - not surprising:

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
    I am writing to make you aware of my circumstances. My name is Jeffrey Scott Hornoff. I became a sworn Warwick, Rhode Island police officer on December3, 1983, and rose to the rank of detective in 1988.

In 1989, a woman I had had a brief relationship with was found murdered in her Warwick apartment. Because of our relationship, I was questioned by my department, requested and passed a polygraph, and was eliminated as a suspect.

Certain unsatisfied officers in our department took it upon themselves to go to the state attorneys general office and say, 'Here's your guy. Go get him.'
    A single and focused investigation by the Rhode Island State Police, complete with threatened witnesses, coerced and manipulated statements, as well as lost, missing and destroyed evidence, led to my indictment. With no evidence or witnesses, the prosecution put forth a case based on speculation and conjecture, supported by the false testimony of Dr. Henry Lee.

On June 19, 1996, I was found guily of first degree murder, and subsequently sentenced to life in prison. I spent six years, four months and eighteen days wrongfully imprisoned for a terrible crime I did not commit, being freed and exonerated on November 6, 2002, after the true killer finally came forward and confessed. I lost over six years of my life with my three sons (one was born three months after I was imprisoned), my home was foreclosed on and my Mom sold hers far below its value to pay legal and investigator fees.

While in prison, I would occasionally learn through the media of officers in other towns and states being accused of criminal misconduct, where their FOP came out vocally and in force to support them. My FOP was silent.
    Once free, I was sought out by Warwick FOP Lodge #7 President (Uniform Sergeant) Peter Johnston, who promised the FOP's support to help me in my fight for reinstatement, backpay and medical benefits. Sgt. Johnston and the FOP have done nothing since. Perhaps the fact that his FOP position is now a paid one has been an incentive for the FOP body to cow to political pressure.

My family continues to struggle and endure. My attorneys have won my reinstatement, which is being appealed by the City of Warwick to the RI Supreme Court. I'm almost as nervous now about how they will rule as I was when my criminal conviction was appealed before them. And I am disheartened that my city and state FOPs, and the Grand Lodge have turned their backs on me, but I guess I should be used to it by now.

Today I showed up for an arbitration hearing in support of a fellow officer. FOP Lodge #7 President Peter Johnston was there, but he refused to look at me or acknowledge me. He should be ashamed of himself and he should step down as president. He is not interested in anyone's best interests but his own career, and in pleasing the mayor and the chief of our department. Not only has he and the FOP been non-existent in my ordeal, but the same has happened with other officers, and with one widow of a fallen officer.

Lots of boasting and bragging, but no substance; a sad bunch.
    www.npdf.org
    www.truthinjustice.org (wrongfully convicted cops)

Comment

Sorry

Originally posted by ScottFree94
      Rhode Island FOPs are a joke, comprised to attend conferences and funerals so members can get drunk and talk about how tight they are. Bull****.
      Here is part of a message I have sent to my FOP lodge, the state and national lodges, all ignoring my correspondence - not surprising:

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
      I am writing to make you aware of my circumstances. My name is Jeffrey Scott Hornoff. I became a sworn Warwick, Rhode Island police officer on December3, 1983, and rose to the rank of detective in 1988.

In 1989, a woman I had had a brief relationship with was found murdered in her Warwick apartment. Because of our relationship, I was questioned by my department, requested and passed a polygraph, and was eliminated as a suspect.

Certain unsatisfied officers in our department took it upon themselves to go to the state attorneys general office and say, 'Here's your guy. Go get him.'
      A single and focused investigation by the Rhode Island State Police, complete with threatened witnesses, coerced and manipulated statements, as well as lost, missing and destroyed evidence, led to my indictment. With no evidence or witnesses, the prosecution put forth a case based on speculation and conjecture, supported by the false testimony of Dr. Henry Lee.

On June 19, 1996, I was found guily of first degree murder, and subsequently sentenced to life in prison. I spent six years, four months and eighteen days wrongfully imprisoned for a terrible crime I did not commit, being freed and exonerated on November 6, 2002, after the true killer finally came forward and confessed. I lost over six years of my life with my three sons (one was born three months after I was imprisoned), my home was foreclosed on and my Mom sold hers far below its value to pay legal and investigator fees.

While in prison, I would occasionally learn through the media of officers in other towns and states being accused of criminal misconduct, where their FOP came out vocally and in force to support them. My FOP was silent.
      Once free, I was sought out by Warwick FOP Lodge #7 President (Uniform Sergeant) Peter Johnston, who promised the FOP's support to help me in my fight for reinstatement, backpay and medical benefits. Sgt. Johnston and the FOP have done nothing since. Perhaps the fact that his FOP position is now a paid one has been an incentive for the FOP body to cow to political pressure.

My family continues to struggle and endure. My attorneys have won my reinstatement, which is being appealed by the City of Warwick to the RI Supreme Court. I'm almost as nervous now about how they will rule as I was when my criminal conviction was appealed before them. And I am disheartened that my city and state FOPs, and the Grand Lodge have turned their backs on me, but I guess I should be used to it by now.

Today I showed up for an arbitration hearing in support of a fellow officer. FOP Lodge #7 President Peter Johnston was there, but he refused to look at me or acknowledge me. He should be ashamed of himself and he should step down as president. He is not interested in anyone's best interests but his own career, and in pleasing the mayor and the chief of our department. Not only has he and the FOP been non-existent in my ordeal, but the same has happened with other officers, and with one widow of a fallen officer.

Lots of boasting and bragging, but no substance; a sad bunch.
      HI JEFF, THAT IS AN OFFICERS WORST NIGHTMARE. I AM SO SORRY THAT YOU HAD TO GO THROUGH SIX YEARS IN JAIL, AND STILL PUT UP WITH SUCH BULL ****. GOD BLESS YOU MY PAL, STAY STRONG YOU'LL WIN IN TIME. SGT TONY (RET C/O)
      Last edited by AJAILER1; 10-19-2005, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Jeff,

I am sorry to here about your injustice to you and your family. I did see your documentery on TV not to long ago, aired by A&E, I think. From what you stated the FOP should of been there for you from the start and to the finish. I am glad your name was cleared and your free again to be with your kids and family and move forward from the poor police investigation and courts that got you wrongly charged and convicted. Honestly when I saw your story it makes a person think about how many more cases like yours without the good ending are there in judicial system? God speed and prayers on winning your case.

Anthony Allison

Comment

Scott, I am truely sorry for what you were put through. It definately was an injustice. I was on the Warwick Pd from 89-96. So I saw firsthand the FOP's actions.
          It is good to see you are even stronger now, and fighting back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2974 users online. 136 members and 2838 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X