300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other Facilities Direct Super.

Just wondering if how many facilities out there are true direct supervision?
    Our Ratio is on average 1 CO to 70 inmates per unit but most of the time it is higher. we have 4 units minimum, medium, max,and female. minimum ratio is about 1CO to 68 inmates, medium is 1CO to 75 inmates, max is 1 to 16, and female is 1 to 50. with 1 floater and Booking Officer and Supervisor. Always outnumbered lol
    Last edited by Fergie; 09-22-2005, 06:50 PM.
    If your Scared, you can get in my pocket!!

We have both blocks and Pods. The Pods are direct supervision with a ratio of 1 CO to 56 inmates. From 57-70 inmates there are 2 CO's.

Comment

We have celled units and dormitory style units. Essentially both are direct supervision, one staff for up to 96 inmates.
      People who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us who actually do.

Comment

We have 2 buildings Alpha/Bravo with 4 dorms housing 62 inmates each. We have 3 other dorms (62,40, and 22 inmates) plus a segregation unit (40 inmates)that are separate from other buildings. Depending on the shift, day of the week, and short staffing it could be 1 officer to anywhere from 62 to 248 inmates. I have actually reported to work and be one of only eight officers on duty that day.

Our max capacity is 652 inmates on the facility.
        Be sure you're right, then go ahead
        Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
        If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

Eight Officers for how many inmates? We currently house around 500 and we have more than that on our midnight shift when they are all locked in. Doesn't NC have minimum staffing standards?

Comment

The standard is for day shift: one officer two dorms or 1 : 164
            Second shift one officer per dorm or 1 : 62

That's how its supposed to be. But with short staffing, having to send the few officers you do have off on trips etc. it never works out that way.

When I said I was one of eight in line up. What I mean is there was 1 LT. 2 SGT's and 5 officers to manage 652 inmates. 8 : 652

As far as minimum standards, when no one else shows up what are you going to do? send everyone else home?
            Last edited by Bowles; 09-23-2005, 10:09 AM.
            Davy Crockett

Comment

We force people to stay from the previous shift. What do you guys do if something happens?

Comment

They used to make us stay but with the mess the state's budget is in now they will not authorize any over time only comp time. We usually make due with what we have. I haven't heard of anyone being asked/told to stay over in a long time.
                Davy Crockett

Comment

We are forced to stay if we have any shortages. The union makes sure that every post is filled at all times.

Comment

We are a medical facility. We have all levels. We also have different style units. Two dormitory with 2 levels . 2 celled unit that they can go out on 15 min moves. We have SHU (lock up), part of one of the units is for the mentally ill and part of the hospital is for the terminally ill. The part that sucks is the Dorm style units during day watch. These units hold around 250-285 inmates and with all the cuts we only have one officer during day watch (normally one on A floor and one on B floor. So it really sucks big time if you are stuck in one of these units during this time. You are running around between the floors all damn day trying to make sure no one is either dead or killing each other and this is between handing out passes and doing census and sending i/m to visits.
                    "Alright, when I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane."-Ignignokt

Comment

This is gonna sound crazy but when dealing with the State, crazy is the norm.

We are a medical/work institution. We have mental health, and all manner if illness and injury mixed in with otherwise perfectly healthy inmates. Of the 650 + convicts we send about 250 off the facility to work different jobs in the community. Another 150ish are assigned jobs on the institution. The rest just kinda hang out, go to school etc... And did we receive or were we offered any additional training on how to deal with mental health inmates? Nope.
                      Davy Crockett

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3077 users online. 153 members and 2924 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X