300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• personal protection?

in GA we get absolutely no personal protection items at all.. no pepper spray, or batons or anything. in other states do you all have any sort of protection of this nature?

When I worked as a Florida detention deputy in the jail we carried pepper spray. We were also stun gun certified and they were only issued in case of an emergency or cell extraction. We were also firearm certified and carried to and from work.

Comment

I hate to say this but working as a Corrections Officer with the Georgia Department of Corrections sucks ! I have the right to say that because I used to work for them . All they give you is a flash light and a radio they dont even issue out handcuffs . You are expected to go to and from work in uniform but not allowed to carry on the way . The whole department needs to be revamped . Like I have said before they are not Pro Law Enforcement they call you a Peace Officer but treat you like a Security Guard . Look I learned a lot working there this not a personal attack but I think it is a dam shame that Officers dont have the basic equipment to protect themselves .
      STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

NC officers are authorized to carry cuffs, OC, and baton on the institution, and at most units they do. However at my facility our superintendent has forbidden us to carry these items except for officers working segregation. Only a Sgt. or above is allowed to carry OC or cuffs in general population. When we are transporting outside the facility or working escapes we do carry cuffs, OC, and a firearm.
        Doesn't really make sense to me, but what can you do.
        Be sure you're right, then go ahead
        Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
        If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

Originally posted by MattCO
          in GA we get absolutely no personal protection items at all.. no pepper spray, or batons or anything. in other states do you all have any sort of protection of this nature?
          In PA they give you a nice new shiny 95 cent whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by BillP

Bill I had to buy my own whistle due to budget issues.....But we carry our own personal Handcuffs and the Issue radio if you can get one before there all gone. Oh ya don't forget the stab vest thats 4yrs overdue its shelf life that was fitted by an Inmate and dosen't fit.......

Comment

Shucks, forgot to mention that!
              Be sure you're right, then go ahead
              Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
              If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

My agency gives everyone pepper spray, and tazers to those whom are certified in its use. I'm a new hire, so just had measurements and stuff taken for a custom fit vest. They provide us with pretty much everything we need, minus boots and a duty belt. But most people just wear a normal belt and attach their gear to that seeing we don't lug around that much stuff. Plus, they give us new hires $1250 to pay for anything else we may need right off the bat. Sounds like we have it a lot better than a lot of yall out there.
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah:

They provide us with everything but a (1) flashlight and holster, (2) duty boots or shoes which some people choose to wear and isn't my first choice. They don't require or provide body armor unless you'r transporting an inmate. Heard some people buy shank resistant vests but I haven't actually saw any officer wearing them. Once we're certified they provide the spray and holster. Theres been talks about stun guns but I doubt we'll seem anytime soon if ever.
                  - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

Originally posted by pateshane
                    I hate to say this but working as a Corrections Officer with the Georgia Department of Corrections sucks ! I have the right to say that because I used to work for them . All they give you is a flash light and a radio they dont even issue out handcuffs . You are expected to go to and from work in uniform but not allowed to carry on the way . The whole department needs to be revamped . Like I have said before they are not Pro Law Enforcement they call you a Peace Officer but treat you like a Security Guard . Look I learned a lot working there this not a personal attack but I think it is a dam shame that Officers dont have the basic equipment to protect themselves .
                    my thoughts exactly.

Comment

In aus wing officers carry a set of keys and a radio with a duress button fixed into it. No firearms are allowed into the centre only when a riot is happening and then only accredited persons can carry and use. As a dog handler I have a a General Purpose Prison Dog which I am allowed to take into the centre in any place that I as a CCO would go, we are also issued a duty belt that has cs gas (as os is bad for dogs), radio with duress button built in, extendable baton, cuffs, we are issued personal weapons which are 9mm semi autos (but stays outside in a gun safe when inside the centre), we used to be able to take our firearms home with us as we are on call 24/7 but the head honchos stopped that when a firearm went missing from a central armoury, but alas we are still on call 24/7 so we have to come back to our centre and get our weapon out then respond to a job. The same happened to the QLD police Special Emergency Response Team but they only got a slap on the wrists, this is typical as we are considered the lowest on the law enforcement food chain.

Comment

After nine years and a promotion I realized that what started as a temporary job has become a career I enjoy. so, I've been starting to look at the conditions of corrections in other states. yesterday I found this site, saw this thread and my jaw dropped. out here in this liberal bastion of CA I still have the whistle the state issued me at the academy. on the job depending on custody level we have mini-14 coverage, many times this includes 40mm direct impact and indirect "knee knockers", and cn. on our person many of us (soon to be all) have stab vests. at a minimum we all carry: oc MK-9, expandible baton (new just changed out of side-handle), handcuffs, personal alarm or radio (sometimes both). then depending on postion, oc & cn grenades, gas mask. to all of you brothers and sisters with only a whistle, your brains & hands on. my hat is off to you you have my prayers. its a long tough battle but maybe its time to start organizing today. check out ccpoa & pacovilla.com for ideas.
                        Last edited by cccsgt; 09-14-2005, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cccsgt
                          check out ccpoa & pacovilla.com for ideas.
                          Whats your username at PV. I am RiderWannabe over there.

Comment

C/o

I WORK FOR CORRECTIONS IN NH , WE GET CUFFS, NO PROTECTIVE BODY GEAR, I'M CERT. IN OC BUT ONLY A SUPV. CAN CARRY IT. WE ALSO HANDLE FEDS FROM ALL OVER. MOSTLY EVERYONE'S CASTOFFS, WEALSO AREN'T INFORMED OF THEIR BACKGROUNDS.
                            READY, AIM...OH! THAT'S GONNA LEAVE A SCAR !!

Comment

We are issued Cuffs, pepper spray, and given posc training every year... We also were trained with shot guns (for riot situations), but then the County took that away.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4451 users online. 226 members and 4225 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X