Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you think all police should work jails first?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you think all police should work jails first?

theres a lot of police officers who dont know how to talk to people and i think if they where in a situation where they needed to get 60 crooks to follow orders and they talked that crap and got knocked out,,,they might change their approach to people.All im saying is that there is a way to talk to people.

i mean theres times when i get to cursing and it works as long as you dont show the fear of 60 crooks around you..sometimes you take a chance in talking ****,,,but you cant be scared.

as far as being an officer on the street,,,all civilians arent bad and all civilians arent civilians,,,,,so i think police officers should know how to talk to people.

ive seen female cos run a cell block better than any males,,,,,,the job is mental more than physical.

so the question is,,,,,,,,do you think all police should work jails first?

i say yes
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing

I say no, 95% of the jail guards I know would have no business on the street whatsoever. I don't know how it is out by you but here most of the deputy sheriffs cause more problems than they are worth.
    "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

I don't think it would be a bad idea to allow (new) police officers to spend some time working the jail. Mainly because new officers will have the opportunity to learn many of the BS stories they will encounter on the streets.
      Be sure you're right, then go ahead
      Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
      If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowles
        I don't think it would be a bad idea to allow (new) police officers to spend some time working the jail. Mainly because new officers will have the opportunity to learn many of the BS stories they will encounter on the streets.
        I agree. I hear lots of stories from both ends. I see no reason unless they need the bodies. In referance to the communication skills we have ours, you have your's.
        When I started the jailers used to **** me off because I'd bring in total ******* and the jailers would pretty much kiss thier *** and tell them the bad man who brought you in will leave soon. After time I understand.
        Inside the "block" I see who you need to *****-foot around with them since they out number you, on the street we out number them.

TGY
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by mz248
          I say no....there are plenty of ways to learn communication skills besides working in a jail. I worked in the largest jail in this region for a couple of years before working the streets and it was great experience but there are other ways to learn how to deal with people.

I definitely agree with you. You don't have to work as a CO to learn all the BS, you'll get plenty of that on the street. However, that depends on the kind of town or city you work at. As for me, I work in the city where you get to deal with a lot of sh*tbags and BGs, and they'll give all the colorful BS and stories - not just that even regular civilians will tell you BS. So, it all depends on the person, on how (s)he deals with the BS and learn to pay attention on what people are saying, and how (s)he analyze and reacts to it.

Actually, in my honest opinion, the street environment is better to learn communications compare to jail, since you get to deal more with a variety of people - from little kids to teens, and adults of different of background, culture, and language. Now, talking about communication - that's a challenge - you know what to expect if you're in the jail, the kind of people you have to deal with. But in the street, you have to be more like a chameleon - be able to adapt to your surroundings and its people, because it changes constantly.

Whether you work on the street or in the jail, it doesn't matter, it all depends on the individual on dealing with people.
          "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

You learn a lot. I think in a prison rather then jail where you are in among the inmates and have to earn respect and learn how to treat people.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
              I agree. I hear lots of stories from both ends. I see no reason unless they need the bodies. In referance to the communication skills we have ours, you have your's.
              When I started the jailers used to **** me off because I'd bring in total ******* and the jailers would pretty much kiss thier *** and tell them the bad man who brought you in will leave soon. After time I understand.
              Inside the "block" I see who you need to *****-foot around with them since they out number you, on the street we out number them.

TGY
              Your statement above is a prime reason why I think any street cop should have to work inside a state or county institution for at least 90 days, perferably in a maximum level setting.

How many felons do you, on average, come in contact with on a daily basis?

Try anywhere from 200 to 2500.

Behind the fences, the population is entirely comprised of convicted felons.

Different world from dealing with a population that is, vastly law abiding and not requiring any intervention by LEO.

Only advantage we have over any LEO on the street is that we know what we are dealing with on a daily basis.

Corrections Officers manage, by and large without any weapons aside from perhaps OC if they are lucky, to control what are basically self-contained cities with, unlike outside the fences, a totally criminal population and those Corrections Officers manage to do so on a daily basis without major incident.

And in this day of diminishing staffing it is being accomplished on a daily basis by a group that generally knows that if the doo hits the fan your hanging by yourself for a while.

I have the utmost respect for what LEO's on the street do, go through and deal with when it comes to their career. I have 2 friends who are PA State Troopers and another who is a local Township LEO. I know what they do, and what their day, for the most part consists of. They also know what I do, and what my day, for the most part, consists of.

Please do not try and minimize what a CO does, or paint it as we have to "*****-foot around because we are outnumbered". If that were remotely true then what control is exercised on a daily basis inside the fence would simply not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by BillP
                Please do not try and minimize what a CO does, or paint it as we have to "*****-foot around because we are outnumbered". If that were remotely true then what control is exercised on a daily basis inside the fence would simply not exist.
                Didn't mean to offend anyone, trust me I wouldn't want your job. But on the same side you are out numbered inside. Many people I bring know the rules "inside" and are living out thier fantasies. They don't midn the COs. They don't care for us because we caught them and brought them there.

In the same breath qoutes like this:
                theres a lot of police officers who dont know how to talk to people and i think if they where in a situation where they needed to get 60 crooks to follow orders and they talked that crap and got knocked out,,,they might change their approach to people.
                Get a reaction like mine.

TGY
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I agree with most of the above. Working inside can certainly be an education for a new guy or gal......It's definately not for everybody though.
                  I think it should be a requirment for 90 days or so.
                  One thing to remember if working inside a jail or prison, you usually have barrier between you and them, but not always. Bottom line is, don't let your mouth overload your brain, epecially in a county jail. You just may see them on the street later, or worse yet, their friends with them in a car load you have stop. Ca. as some states now has a 3-strike law, and alot of these clowns you'll be stopping have nothing to lose if they take you out. The Don't want to go back inside.

Graydog
                  With Strength and Power We Will Prevail......

Comment

Seems like a disagreement is erupting on this thread over who has the most dangerous job. The short answer is they are both dangerous. I've done 'em both so I'm not just talking out my ***. As for cops working inside a prison or county jail for a while, like I said above I can't see it being a bad thing. I wouldn't require it of them, but if they wanted and I were ruling the world I wouldn't object too it. My reason is that IMO the (new) officer would benefit from the exposure to these dirt bags. Likewise the CO could benefit from a few ride a longs as well.
                    Be sure you're right, then go ahead
                    Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
                    If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

I have to agree both sides..get the respect they deserve,

my agency has 1200 or so road patrol
                      1200 assigned to jail

I'd have to say 65 % went thru our jail system 1st,
                      and turned out career wise 10 star rated cop's

the local agencies, who hired our jail deputies after the 2 yr
                      " we promise you, do 2 yrs in the jail and you can go to the road"
                      those guys are doing great as well.

I can only speak for my agency , where it has worked well.......
                      different area's of the county are affected by, the demograpghics, economies
                      etc....nowadays, all l.e.o. agency's have a difficult task on hand.

they have inevnted course's on how to effectively recruit, and motivate
                      the gen x crowd, "fast and furious" cop's....

yr gonna get a rude awakening for sure if you start out in corrections,
                      put on yr boxing gloves or put on yr panty hose.

www.schackdaddy.com
                      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

No way. Corrections is a completely different job than law enforcement. If you want to be a jailer, be one. If you want to be a cop, be one. It's like asking if you should work at McDonald's first before working at WAL-MART.

Comment

I say NO - the 2 jobs are very different but the skills needed are similar.
                          I'm sure if coppers wanted to work in prisons they would have done that instead, I have no doubt they would make a good job of it.....I don't fancy a Job swap.......too much running around at least my cons are in 1 place!!!
                          " Always a pleasure..........Never a chore"

Comment

I thought it was a good learning experience when I worked in the jail before getting out on the road and in the courts. I got to learn who I would be dealing with on the streets.
                            THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

I spent 12 months working in a large max/Security gaol whilst waiting for a position in the police. I thought it was a great leaning experience listening to all the tricks the cons try and pull on police. I think it gave me a little edge over some of my friends when I first when out on the road.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4429 users online. 303 members and 4126 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X