300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one else been this situation?

As alot of you know im a new correctional officer about a month now and i love it. But last friday i was doing my last cell check before i got off, and everyone was locked down. I did the womens pod last that night and something caught my eye from one of there cells. So i went to look at again and noticed the inmate was hangining there, so i quicked called control busted in there and grabbed her and heald her up so there was no pressure on her neck. After like 5 secondes she started kinda choking and and color came back to her face. by that time someone came behind me with the cutters and cut the sheet ends and i lowered her to the ground. The paremdics came in and revived her and she is ok now. I dont know i always thought i was looking for fights and stuff lke contraband that would be fun to bust them for I never thought Id come across something like this. I just wanted to know if anyone of you have been threw something like this or a comment or anything. BE SAFE WATCH YOUR BACK,AND THEIRS!

Good eye.
    It can happen to any departments that have cell blocks. It's a perfect example of why we have cell checks. I'm glad you caught it b/c you don't want to experience IA...especially in your first month lol.

Comment

Originally posted by johnychipp
      As alot of you know im a new correctional officer about a month now and i love it. But last friday i was doing my last cell check before i got off, and everyone was locked down. I did the womens pod last that night and something caught my eye from one of there cells. So i went to look at again and noticed the inmate was hangining there, so i quicked called control busted in there and grabbed her and heald her up so there was no pressure on her neck. After like 5 secondes she started kinda choking and and color came back to her face. by that time someone came behind me with the cutters and cut the sheet ends and i lowered her to the ground. The paremdics came in and revived her and she is ok now. I dont know i always thought i was looking for fights and stuff lke contraband that would be fun to bust them for I never thought Id come across something like this. I just wanted to know if anyone of you have been threw something like this or a comment or anything. BE SAFE WATCH YOUR BACK,AND THEIRS!
      Have had a couple attempt to hang-up, in our Restricted Housing Unit. Neither was successful, and were actual attempts. Have had a couple of faked attempts as well. But number one rule here is to never, no matter how dire the situation, enter a cell without at least one other officer present.

Comment

Agreed:

Originally posted by BillP
        Have had a couple attempt to hang-up, in our Restricted Housing Unit. Neither was successful, and were actual attempts. Have had a couple of faked attempts as well. But number one rule here is to never, no matter how dire the situation, enter a cell without at least one other officer present.
        I agree, I won't enter a cell in a situation like that without backup. As the whole scenario could be a setup of some sort.
        - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

Good Job Chip keep your eye out it can save your job..... if ya didn't see it the cornor inquest will tell all......

Comment

Hi, Just spent 7+ years working with female prisoners and had several of these attempts....cut a couple down myself but also had a couple of prisoners who died (not on duty myself at time).The thing is, suicide is a very selfish act that is designed to make everyone involved feel guilty....you "could I have done anything"....."it's all my fault" that sort of thing.
            We are issued personal Ligature Cutters in my prison and would I go in alone if I found another one? .....depends on the situation at the time.Our management would support an Officer who made a decision to go in and it was just a 'bluff'.....could you leave her/him hanging....I don't know if I
            could.
            " Always a pleasure..........Never a chore"

Comment

Hanging

We actually had the same thing happen tonight. I wasn't in the building when the CO saw the guy hanging there but they got to him just in time they said or he would have been dead. It's amazing how they can find a way to hang themselves out of almost nothing.

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone hanging themselves yet. But we get our fair share of wrist slashers. They break open the disposable razors and go to hacking, I know one inmate who used his locker key to stab his own wrist.
                Be sure you're right, then go ahead
                Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
                If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

We had one lady do it the day before she was going to get out of jail. Figure that one out.
                  Dont think of it as losing, think of it as being beat by a girl!

Comment

I responded to my first real attempt after being on the job for about 4 years. When we pulled him out of the noose he looked like he was dead. He actually coded while being moved to the ambulance. Luckily he made it. The guy was nice enough to repay us for saving his arse by being involved in the majority of tobacco and pot smuggling for the next 3 months. Sometimes you have to wonder why we try as hard as we do.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing a good job being alert and watching everything around you. I work around both men and women, and I have seen anything from bras to socks to bedsheets tied off around necks to attempt suicide. None have succeeded, but you never know what you will encounter. Keep up the good work.
                      “Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.” - Erwin Rommel

Comment

I have had a couple but the worse ones are the slash ups skating around in crims blood is not fun and the smell stays with you for a while especially when it is congealed

Comment

We recently had a male who had been trying to kill hmself drinking cleaners, and past time tried to hang hmslef. Had just returned from out State mental facility for eval, while he was there, he had somehow gotten a kids plastic pencil sharpener, swallowed it, Well sooner or later it came out, but at our jail... I have never seen so much blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looked like someone gutted him in the toilet, and all over the walls and floor... HE tore himself appart excreating the razor, then boke it and began to slice himself up... Needless to say, he ended up tied down when he returned from the hospital.

Comment

Nice work, with our agency she would have hung for a while as we cannot enter a cell like that without back up. We usually have a hanging once a year or so. I had a guy OD on me and I had to take him to the hospital and we get lots of guy slashing up.

Comment

No hangers. Lots of guys who ran full speed into their cell wall and knocked themselves silly. A few who tried to cut their wrists, one even did it with the sharp point of his big toenail that he tore off with his teeth. The best bleeder was the guy who tried to castrate himself with a pair of fingernail clippers. He said he was doing great until he passed out.
                              People who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us who actually do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4700 users online. 305 members and 4395 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X