300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inmate Dealings

I have a fellow officer that is being investigated for inmate dealings by IA. The situation is this....An inmate went to the unit manager and told him that the officer in question was buying the inmates drinks and collecting golf balls for money(he's a detail officer at a golf course). So the unit manager told the officer to write a witness statement and it would be investigated by Internal Affairs. The officer in question is a real good officer and never had anything like this happen before and says the inmate is lying. Only the officer knows for sure if he did it or not but I believe he didn't. My question is, when an inmate says something like that or accuses an officer...does it automatically have to be investigated? The officer told me the inmate had just got out of lockdown recently for not working when he was out on his detail and really doesn't like the officer in question. I know there is a lot of inmate dealings that goes on in prisons and is it just policy most places to investigate an accusation like this being that it's the officer's word against the inmates word? Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if IA investigates just b/c it's policy everytime they get a complaint like that?

Thanks
    Nathan

The majority of inmate complaints are garbage . I was investigated after a inmate filed a complaint against me the inmate was caught lying half way through the investigation instead of ending it their they kept going with it I was cleared in the end but because I was still under a probationary Period I was canned . If a officer has crossed the line then by all means nail his/her ... . But what upsets me his how you are treated during a internal affairs investigation . I was the last person to know that I was under investigation and then I was treated like I was guilty I was only told half the story . He seemed to be on the inmates side during the whole investigation . After the investigation I was just left hanging I did not know the out come every time I asked I was told that someone would fill me in . It was a month after the inverstigation was over that I found out I was cleared at that time I was In a Majors office being given my walking papers I was not even given or allowed to see the investigation report . I got my hands on it a month later through the open records act I had to pay for it . After reading the report I was highly ****ed the inmate who had filed the complaint against me had filed the very same complaint against another Deputy ofcourse I was never told this . Before I was fired I wanted to go after the said inmate in question for falsley accusing me which is a crime in this state I was denied that right and the inmate won he got away with it he also cost me my job in the end . The agency I was working for was the Gwinnett County S.O.
    Last edited by pateshane; 09-02-2005, 11:18 PM.
    STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

Hi, I read your post and this sort of thing goes on all the time.In the English Prison Service we used to have a disciplinary charge that covered this sort of allegation whereas the Prisoner could be charged for making a "False and Harmful Allegation" this charge was removed some years ago.
      We have a very good Union (sorry 'Association' not allowed to call it a Union ) called the Prison Officers Association and each Prison has an elected commitee and we also have a National Commitee, through our membership we are covered for free Legal representation by the POA's own team of Solicitors and they would have chewed your bitter,lying,cheating,no good prisoner for breakfast and then spat him out .

The nature of our job is that we are open to these problems because we are working with a group of people who, quite frankly, don't appreciate us and the care, understanding and genuine kindness we show them on a daily basis
      " Always a pleasure..........Never a chore"

Comment

If you have a good administration that dont forget where they came from makes alot of difference, alot of admin came from the line and moved up, Inamtes are well know to lie cheat do anything to get over on us, and if admin beleives a inmate before a officer they need to find another job

Comment

theres good cos and theres bad cos,,,the bad ones make the job horrible for the good ones.in ny when they investigate you,,,you have no idea until the end,,,and thats because they want to catch you in a lie.most of the time the allegation is false and the investigators know it.Sometimes you have some investigators that never worked the trenches and they want to mess with you,,,but theres nothing you can do about that.just know your job and know what your supposed to do and not supposed to do......
          All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing

Comment

Having worked both sides of the fence in this matter, I can honestly say that IA does not investigate every claim made by an inmate. That would be impossible, if you knew how many of these ridiculous complaints are made by inmates on a daily basis.

HOWEVER, if something just doesn't look right, or if there are other circumstances that cast a shadow of doubt over that staff members actions, IA will definitely be looking into it. The best way to deal with being accused of something you DID NOT DO, is to open yourself up for whatever the investigation might bring. If you cooperate and assist in the investigation, things will work themselves out. If you DID DO IT, save everybody the embarassment and quit. Nobody should have to work with people they don't trust...especially not in this business.

Our integrity is the only thing we bring with us inside these walls that even the inmates can't take away. In order to lose it, we must GIVE it away. The instant that is done, all is lost.
            People who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us who actually do.

Comment

Originally posted by InspectorGadget
              Having worked both sides of the fence in this matter, I can honestly say that IA does not investigate every claim made by an inmate. That would be impossible, if you knew how many of these ridiculous complaints are made by inmates on a daily basis.

HOWEVER, if something just doesn't look right, or if there are other circumstances that cast a shadow of doubt over that staff members actions, IA will definitely be looking into it. The best way to deal with being accused of something you DID NOT DO, is to open yourself up for whatever the investigation might bring. If you cooperate and assist in the investigation, things will work themselves out. If you DID DO IT, save everybody the embarassment and quit. Nobody should have to work with people they don't trust...especially not in this business.

Our integrity is the only thing we bring with us inside these walls that even the inmates can't take away. In order to lose it, we must GIVE it away. The instant that is done, all is lost.
              Here in PA the management motto, in regards to inmate claims against staff is, 'Guilty even if you prove yourself innocent'. Treatment rules the day here, and according to management no convict would ever lie about something just to set up a staff member, but staff lies all the time.

But then, when the head of the Department is a PhD in counseling, and his second in command is a PhD in Philosophy (sp) what can one really expect?

I will agree that if one is guilty they need to go.

Comment

In TX we are investigated by OIG, but the only time OIG is involved if it goes beyond the Supervisor inchrge of the Shift, or if the I/M is alleging assault. Then that I/M must prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it happened. The C/O's in TX are treated pretty good by OIG due to the fact that they know that the I/M's are always making false claims. But if OIG does get involved then you can bet that the C/O has done something wrong, and fixing to get fired or arrested. Just do your job, and you won't get into trouble. Go past the book and you screw up every time. Follow policy, it is there to keep you out of trouble, and to protect you. Can't get into trouble if you follow policy.
                sigpic

Comment

Well lets see I followed policy and was cleared however , I was still terminated go figure!
                  STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

That's the trouble (or the beauty) of probationary status. If the administration doesn't like the way you comb your hair... they can cut you loose. Sometimes it's not all that fair, sometimes it's best for everyone involved.
                    People who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us who actually do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4581 users online. 289 members and 4292 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X