300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully Starting a career in corrections

Hello everyone.........First time posting.....I just was informed that Im on the list for correction officer in northampton county (Easton pa.) They are looking for 42 new officers and Im high on the list. Anyone out there with some helpful advice? This would be my first time working as a correction officer........... thank you

With all these PA officers on this forum you'd think I could find one to swap patches with.

lol, seriously good luck.
    Be sure you're right, then go ahead
    Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
    If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

I went to a PADOC training with a couple of guys from North Hampton. I've been in contact with them. From what I gather they are hurting for staff. They have been running below there min for awhile. Are you doing your training there or in the DOC? If you want to tour a nice facility, tour Pike County Correctional. There website should be up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by aroddakoda
        Hello everyone.........First time posting.....I just was informed that Im on the list for correction officer in northampton county (Easton pa.) They are looking for 42 new officers and Im high on the list. Anyone out there with some helpful advice? This would be my first time working as a correction officer........... thank you
        Not sure what the starting salary is for Northampton is, but the DOC starts you out at $12.95 except at Graterford and Chester where it is $13.62. Benefits are still pretty good, and our contract is currently in the hands of the arbitrator so it is expected that wages will increase, and hopefully benefit costs will decrease.

The DOC is always hiring.

Comment

Sure?

Originally posted by aroddakoda
          I am recommending you not start a career in corrections unless you can stomach being called a MF,er by staff and inmates. On a daily basis. Does that appeal to you?

Comment

correction officer

Originally posted by breakweak
            I am recommending you not start a career in corrections unless you can stomach being called a MF,er by staff and inmates. On a daily basis. Does that appeal to you?
            Yes that does appeal to me.....as Im a security officer for a high school presently and Im often called worse names than that for less pay. so yes im ready for all that!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I might as well introduce myself as well. Monday will be my first day of orientation with Washington DOC.

Comment

Originally posted by tanikir
                I might as well introduce myself as well. Monday will be my first day of orientation with Washington DOC.
                lots of luck to you on Monday!!!!!!! I cant wait for my call.......let me know how everything goes.

Comment

Wondering

Originally posted by BillP
                  Not sure what the starting salary is for Northampton is, but the DOC starts you out at $12.95 except at Graterford and Chester where it is $13.62. Benefits are still pretty good, and our contract is currently in the hands of the arbitrator so it is expected that wages will increase, and hopefully benefit costs will decrease.

The DOC is always hiring.
                  Why they are always hiring? A message there I suspect.

Comment

PA is, like most Departments, severly understaffed. Just had one class leave the academy that had 145 CO Trainees in it. One currently there has around 220.

We had some major changes with our health care and requirements for reaching retirement and the veteran CO's with over 15 years state service and qualifying age are bailing left and right to avoid the changes.

Not to mention two new facilities came on line in the last 2 years and one of them can not get anyone to move out in the middle (even for PA) of BFE to work. Add to that we still have 2 in the Philadelphia region that have never been, and never will be properly staff based simply on location.

So yes, PA DOC is always hiring and the wait, provided you are a veteran, is not long at all. If your not a vet it is a tad harder as you start out 10 points down on the test.

Comment

No Breakweak no hidden reasons I also work In Pa I just transfered over a year ago from a Prison that closed to one of the "New Jails" that they opened that is in BFE it takes me an hour everyday to get to work and then again home and with the price of gas thats not to appealling to some. PA starts out at like 13.45 an hour then go to 14.25 after there first year but times are tough with getting qualifiled people hired. These areas that the "New Jails" are in are areas that work as gone with the wind due to the mines and steel mills closing and the avg local income is like 1900.00 a year but finding folks without a crim background or something else that turns them away......

Comment

[QUOTE=paturnkey]No Breakweak no hidden reasons I also work In Pa I just transfered over a year ago from a Prison that closed to one of the "New Jails" that they opened that is in BFE it takes me an hour everyday to get to work and then again home and with the price of gas thats not to appealling to some. PA starts out at like 13.45 an hour then go to 14.25 after there first year but times are tough with getting qualifiled people hired. These areas that the "New Jails" are in are areas that work as gone with the wind due to the mines and steel mills closing and the avg local income is like 1900.00 a year but finding folks without a crim background or something else that turns th
                        em away......[/QUOwhat prison in pa. do you work at? Im looking to get into Northampton county soon.. just waiting for the call...... do you know anything about that prison? working conditions? thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=aroddakoda]
                          Originally posted by paturnkey
                          No Breakweak no hidden reasons I also work In Pa I just transfered over a year ago from a Prison that closed to one of the "New Jails" that they opened that is in BFE it takes me an hour everyday to get to work and then again home and with the price of gas thats not to appealling to some. PA starts out at like 13.45 an hour then go to 14.25 after there first year but times are tough with getting qualifiled people hired. These areas that the "New Jails" are in are areas that work as gone with the wind due to the mines and steel mills closing and the avg local income is like 1900.00 a year but finding folks without a crim background or something else that turns th
                          em away......[/QUOwhat prison in pa. do you work at? Im looking to get into Northampton county soon.. just waiting for the call...... do you know anything about that prison? working conditions? thanks

Sorry No I don't I work at SCI Fayette in well you guessed it Fayette County....But If your a Vet try to come over to the State.....just a thought though

Comment

hopefully starting a career in corrections

I think you'll like this job, I work in the prison as a correctional officer almost four years, I like it, It's a good job.

Comment

Wow, I like my job but I don't think I could do it for $13 an hour. Remember we are exposed to every disease known including Hep A,B,C, Aids, MRSA, lice, scabies, etc..! This job is not for everyone that is for sure. Recently I was involved in an ERT cell extraction with an inmate that had smeared feces all over his cell.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4948 users online. 298 members and 4650 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X