300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of attitude and personality:

Well since I started working at the jail complex I've noticed my attitude and personality has changed and it my opinion for the better. Before I was soft spoken and rarely raised my voice unless absolutley necessary. Now I talk louder as to be heard better and am more comfortable in possible argumentative encounters (Best way to described I suppose). Also I've noticed I have my hands on my belt even when I'm not wearing it (Quite funny to me but others just wonder what the hell I'm doing). As well I seem to be more upfront with people than I use to be. Anyone else notice changes in their attitudes or anything when they started correctional work?
    - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Yeah, I noticed a change and I've only been in corrections for a couple months. The words "Somebody should say something." are no longer in my vocabulary. This job definately makes you more assertive.
    Later,
    KC

Comment

Just wait until your views about people change.......
      THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

You a few years you will be just like ME .............. Shoot yourself tonite.

Comment

I noticed when my wife asks for tedious favors of me that she can do herself, I more easily and more frequently say, "NO."

Also, when she asks questions that require some sort of answer other than yes or no, I now keep my answers very vague and open for drastic change later on. I think I'm more critical too. I'm living up to the nickname she calls me. (*******)

In all seriousness, I should leave most of that at the gate along with the other b/s. I ain't trying to be Joe Cop at home.

One good habit I picked up, is whenever I'm in a resturaunt, I try and sit in the back with my back to the wall. I like to see everybody. I didn't know I picked up that habit till my father in law (now retired) pointed it out to me.
          Last edited by cdc_cop; 08-12-2005, 11:45 PM.
          BACK THE BADGE

Comment

Originally posted by cdc_cop

One good habit I picked up, is whenever I'm in a resturaunt, I try and sit in the back with my back to the wall. I like to see everybody. I didn't know I picked up that habit till my father in law (now retired) pointed it out to me.

This particular habit drives my wife crazy. She just can not understand why I do not like having someone at my back.

Another is that I find I do not just walk around corners, or step out of an elevator without hesitating. Must look odd to others but it is ahabit I do not plan on changing. Somethings you pick up, without even realizing it, will eventually serve you well be it either inside or outside.

Comment

Originally posted by BillP
              This particular habit drives my wife crazy. She just can not understand why I do not like having someone at my back.

Another is that I find I do not just walk around corners, or step out of an elevator without hesitating. Must look odd to others but it is ahabit I do not plan on changing. Somethings you pick up, without even realizing it, will eventually serve you well be it either inside or outside.

Another habit that I already had, but has grown since being in corrections is whenever I'm in a line such as the grocery store, It works my nerves so much when people keep edging closer and closer to me in line. I'd barely lean back and would find myself brushing up against the person behind me. On a few occasions, I told people to back up because I don't like people all in my space.

I also like to give the person in front of me some space along with privacy especially since most people use their ATM cards. One time, I could tell that the person behind me was in a hurry and he asked when I was going to move up in line. I said, "As soon as the guy in front of me is done, they do one transaction per line here. We aren't dating so how close do you want me to get to him?" I couldn't help being a smart ***, but everybody has certain things that works their nerves.
              BACK THE BADGE

Comment

[QUOTE=cdc_cop]Another habit that I already had, but has grown since being in corrections is whenever I'm in a line such as the grocery store, It works my nerves so much when people keep edging closer and closer to me in line. I'd barely lean back and would find myself brushing up against the person behind me. On a few occasions, I told people to back up because I don't like people all in my space.
                QUOTE]

I've noticed that about myself too. When standing in line I'm constantly scanning the crowd. Just a habit, I don't want any surprises.
                Be sure you're right, then go ahead
                Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
                If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

Yeah:

I noticed the restaraunt sitting fairly quickly when I went out to eat recently. The feeling of having people walk behind me continuously just made me uncomfortable. I've definitiley become more assertive and things that are tedious and trivial at home seem almost miniscule (sp) once I come home from work after the things I do and see. In the short time I've worked there I've gotten the ability and personality change: If there's a problem you deal with it, period.
                  - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

I noticed I listen more and talk less. After all these years , now I watch staff as closely as the offenders.

Comment

Same Here!!!

I know this is a old thread, however I have to agree, I have seen the same changes in myself.

I cant stand sitting with my back to the door or a resturant, ect. Have to see what is going on.

The personal space is a big one for me two. DO NOT GET IN MY SPACE.

I am very bossy at home. I did not used to be this way. My nick name is Tatar. As in dictator!!! I am trying to work on that one

In lawton Oklahoma, they have inmates that are on work release. Kinda like a half-way house, they live at the facility, but work in the public, I keep informed of where inmates work. Especially, in the food industry.
                      Last edited by okieconkicker; 02-04-2006, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah, another big one. I will not go anywhere, where they serve food and eat with my uniform on!!! If I do it has to be somewhere, where I can see them cook and serve the food. You never know if a ex-con is cooking or serving your food!!! This one drives my husband crazy!!! If I go to a drive through resturant, I take all ID's off and my coat or jacket, so they do not know I am a CO.

I do not leave food, or food containers in the icebox here at work, I do not trust inmate ordelies. I cant believe that some officers will do this. However they are supposed to be superivised, I still will not do it.

Comment

definitely. once you start to work corrections and deal with all those inmates, your attitude definitely changes -- tho i cant say for the better.

Comment

Occupational hazard I'm affraid, when you work in our enviroment you can't help picking up habits. You get to see a whole different side of human nature that the general public don't see and for that matter don't want to see. Mind you not all habits are bad, you just become more aware of whats happening around you.

Comment

Originally posted by okieconkicker
                              Oh yeah, another big one. I will not go anywhere, where they serve food and eat with my uniform on!!! If I do it has to be somewhere, where I can see them cook and serve the food. You never know if a ex-con is cooking or serving your food!!! This one drives my husband crazy!!! If I go to a drive through resturant, I take all ID's off and my coat or jacket, so they do not know I am a CO.

I do not leave food, or food containers in the icebox here at work, I do not trust inmate ordelies. I cant believe that some officers will do this. However they are supposed to be superivised, I still will not do it.
                              Here is a kicker for you, A well known Coffee outlet down here (GLORIA JEANS) has set up a shop in our new female jail to teach inmates how to serve coffee in there out lets so they can get employment when they are released from jail. Would you feel comfotable knowing the girl behind the counter serving your coffee was an ex-inmate?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5360 users online. 296 members and 5064 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X