300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for seasoned CO's:

I've asked another officer this question and said it was up to me whether or not I later on chose to do so. But do any of the correction officer's on this board carry while off duty? I've noticed the few days I've been at work and listened and it seems quite a few do. Just curious as to everyone else's opinion on this.

- J
    - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

seems like this was answered.....

your badge and i.d. card are yr c.c.f permit in fla ,

unless yr agency licenses and bonds you for any action

you take.

I lived in your area and the chances of running into these clowns

off duty is great, study the law, in ref to use of force....

and the use of deadly force.

www.schackdaddy.com
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Just like any other cop, its our choice. In California we have to qualify with whatever weapon we carry on a quarterly basis. Inmates get released from prison everyday and most can spot off duty cops, especially if they seen you in prison before. The phrase: "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" may sound stupid to some people, but its true. If you've ever been in an off duty situation where you needed your weapon, you later wonder what would have happened if you didn't have it. Personally, I carry when I go out of town. I live in a small city with a low crime rate, and most the people here are good citizens. I've been told I should either carry all the time or not carry all the time. Bad habits, we all have em'
      BACK THE BADGE

Comment

Ive never met a CO that was allowed to carry a gun. In Fact the thought scares me. Half the CO's here belong on the other side of the bars.
        Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
        Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

I carry while off duty, but it has nothing to do with whether or not my agency allows it by regulation. Has everything to do with the fact I do, on a regular basis, run into former 'residents' and some are not exactly fans of mine.

I do not think your agency can prohibit you from doing so, as long as you state, county, whatever laws allow anyone to apply for and possess a concealed permit. Best thing would be to check with the local sheriff, etc. to see what the law is about carrying concealed.

I went to my county sheriff, applied for a concealed permit, got one and carry everywhere I go that a handgun can legally be carried in PA. This is what any citizen can do, at least in PA provided you are clear. We also have reciprical carry with several surrounding states so if I travel to one I am covered. If I go somewhere where we are not then I simply do not carry it on me.

As for off-duty powers, none here. Probably a good thing although in a limited capacity, for events similar to 9/11 should they occur, it would make sense to be able to utilize up to 10K more sworn officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballen0351
            Ive never met a CO that was allowed to carry a gun. In Fact the thought scares me. Half the CO's here belong on the other side of the bars.
            ????????????????
            Last edited by unroxy; 07-30-2005, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unroxy
              ????????????????
              You'd have to see Maryland correctional officers to understand. There is an infamous one at Central Booking who openly tells prisoners how to file false complaints on officers and get away with it. When I first came on an older and much wiser officer told me the only difference between Co's and prisoners is one goes home at night. Being in jail for 1/3 of your life (8 hour day) is bound to do something to your head.
              In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

In NC we have no law enforcement responsibility outside the facility. We are considered Peace Officers and do have the power to detain a subject but not to arrest. (Nc definition of peace officer I know its different elsewhere) We are not authorized by our dept to carry off duty.
                If we wish we could obtain the same permit to carry as anyone else.
                While I don't know any MD correctional officers, I'd have to agree that there are many correctional officers out there that shouldn't be carrying off duty or any other time for that matter. But lets not paint all C/O's with that brush. There are many fine officers working for my dept and they far out number the jackasses. Many like myself are former police officers and military. But due to a weak-hiring policy sometimes all it takes is a clean criminal record to be hired. And it is for that reason that the many outstanding officers out there will NEVER receive the respect they deserve from the general public, news media or even our LEO brethren.
                Be sure you're right, then go ahead
                Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
                If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

Im not trying to Disrespect any CO I would never Want that job i just did not know they were even allowed to carry a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowles
                    But lets not paint all C/O's with that brush.
                    I should say Maryland Department of Corrections which includes the Division Of Pretrial Detention and Services who staff Central Booking. Even then I know it's not the majority but the ones that do the stupid s*** are the ones we usually remember. I deal with Anne Arundel County Corrections and Baltimore County Corrections routinely and they are way more squared away than the state employees.

I've had them do really boneheaded stuff. Assault my prisoner and want me to take him to the hospital. I was in the back doing paperwork, wasn't there when it happened and you've accepted him as a prisoner so I'm not taking the liability. That's happened on two occassions. Routinely enter my information on the booking papers as being with another agency. Wouldn't get my summons then so they have to rebook. That happens at least twice a month as well as entering the wrong CC# on booking papers. Results in ASA not being able to get evidence in a case.

Then there is the work slowdown they have been doing to protest staffing cuts. Central Booking was designed to book dozens of prisoners at a time. Up to 8 at the windows being entered into the system. Two at a time being searched. Three at a time being photographed. They will do one at a time through the whole process on the busiest nights just to cause a line out the door. Will see BPD, MTA, MDTA, Sheriff and University police lined up down the entire sallyport with up to 100 prisoners. Due to this they have had at least three escape attempts that made the media.

The lines are so bad that BPD deputy chiefs come down and count the number of officers off the street waiting to enter Central Booking. Been there when it's been as high as 35.
                    In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

with the booking process, same thing down here,
                      they over load the booking process with dumb stuff, so keep adding
                      a minute to the process per prisoner in 10 yrs along with a increase
                      in crimes, having the same staffing levels from 20 yrs ago....
                      and now ya have ****ed off govmental employee's.....the same as in the
                      road patrol.....guys who do nothing all night or milk call's or hide.
                      ya get the rookie who wants to arrest everyone and make a name for himself, or ya get the seasoned veteran who is retired on duty.
                      seems like ya get a pay check whether ya get do a half *** job
                      or bust yr butt....it's the same way in every aspect of goverment.
                      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I rolled up on a high way cleaning crew from DOC and the guard was kicked back in the van sleeping while the prisoners were cleaning the road. That was scary.

Another time at the county jail I was bringing in a prisoner and there were to inmates walking up the street and as I was comiing in the door the guard was walking out and i heard her Yell "There you two are where have you been" I thought it was there job to know where they were. But I know alot of messed up cop to so I dont think all CO's are bad just there the ones I am fearful of getting hold of a gun

Comment

Yeah:

Originally posted by ftlaudcop
                          seems like this was answered.....

your badge and i.d. card are yr c.c.f permit in fla ,

unless yr agency licenses and bonds you for any action

you take.

I lived in your area and the chances of running into these clowns

off duty is great, study the law, in ref to use of force....

and the use of deadly force.

www.schackdaddy.com
                          Yeah you covered it early as did others. I was just curious how many other CO's carried while off duty. Appreciate the input guys
                          - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Comment

Jbrim.....................

I concure with CDC Cop. As a former CDC officer and now retired, I've carried since I first started with the prison system. Planning and training are cheap insurance. Always be ready for the unexspected. Also, don't get caught up in the fancy T-shirts and hats depicting police or other cop pictures and slogans. You may as well wear a sign on your back saying I'm an off duty officer. Be discrete while off duty out and in the public.
                            If your dept. has a specific policy on carrying, you should follow it. But it is your choice to do so if you are allowed to. I did run into a parolee in a gas station once. It was no problem, but next time could be differant.
                            I have qualified with 4 or 5 differant weapons, so I can choose what to carry in differing sistuations, Re: dressed up, long pants, shorts, under a jacket or in a fanny pack, etc. Carrying is good. But no good at all unless you practice, practice, practice.
                            CDC Cop and I work or have worked with the most high profile and some of the most dangerous inmates in Ca.
                            I was at Corcoran and saw plenty, from Manson, Sirhan, to petty druggies.
                            They all would take you out in a heart beat if you met outside. It's not being parnoid, it's being safe and smart to carry.

Graydog
                            Last edited by Graydog; 07-31-2005, 03:38 PM.
                            With Strength and Power We Will Prevail......

Comment

I was checking back on this topic and saw a lot of negative thoughts regarding Correctional Officers carrying off duty firearms. I agree that there are some bad C/Os in the U.S. that make us all look bad. But we aren't all bad. In California as well as other states, we have excellent training, strict rules and regulations with serious penalties if violated, and a fair salary.

I saw a lot of reference to Maryland C/Os. I have no knowledge of the way things work there, but I know that in some states, C/Os aren't considered peace officers, there isn't much training, there are no uniforms, and the pay is less than 25K a year. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. I'm not saying it's right, but thats just the way it is. These states need to require higher standards in the hiring process, offer better training and pay, and have repurcutions for officers that do things with complete neglect and disregard for safety. I have my own opinions about why some states don't do this, but it would take up a lot of space. I just hope that C/Os start getting looked at a little better. Us good cops don't care to work with those who break policy, law, or moral.
                              BACK THE BADGE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5863 users online. 325 members and 5538 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X