Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal Corrections Officers No Badges Whats Up With That .

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Corrections Officers No Badges Whats Up With That .

I Just Found Out That The Bop Does Not Give Badges To The Federal Corrections Officers . Can Anybody Give Some Feed Back On This Any Bop Officers Out There .
    Last edited by pateshane; 08-01-2005, 09:06 PM.
    STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

* * * * * Former BOP - Now Back in the Navy * * * * *

I know it's not the answer you probably want, but I quote my former GS-11 Ops LT from a Max Sec USP: "Badges, We don't need no stinking badges!".

Don't know the official reason behind it, but it might have to do with the fact that off-duty BOP weren't authorized by the Bureau to carry off-duty. Several did, however, once the CA State AG (Dan Lundgren) issued an opinion that Fed BOP officers, permanently stationed in CA, were exempt from the portions of CPC that required a permit to carry concealed.

As a sidenote, I do know that when we went on details off the compound (med trip to Dr Office or Hospital), everyone that was packing (i.e. EVERYONE) was supposed to carry a badge. In reality, only the LT (OIC) did. Now the FCI right next to us sent out a badge with every CO that packed (on their details).

Several BOP CO's from my USP bought their own badges, NYPD style, using their ID number as the badge number. Specifically prohibited by BOP reg.

Maybe someone still active with BOP can give you a better answer.
    Last edited by KC2GYV; 07-29-2005, 05:01 PM.
    Ken
    I must go down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life, To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover, and quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Comment

Well, I am a current BoP'er and I don't know the exact reason. But if you speculate you can probably come up with some reasonable answers. Such as, we really don't need badges, the "thugs" inside the fence know we are the police, we can now carry off-duty under the LEOSA, and to qualify all we need is our government ID. But probably the number one reason is with 35,000 employees that are LEO's, that would come to approximately 2 million dollars for badges, right now with the BOP budget the way it is, that would probably be the main reason now. That would cut into the EXEC staffs QSI's.
      Don't worry...all bleeding stops eventually!!

Comment

Why do you want a badge? Will that somehow make you a better person?
        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Centurion 44 Have You Ever Heard Of Officer Presence .

Comment

Originally posted by pateshane
            Centurion 44 Have You Ever Heard Of Officer Presence .
            Is that like having "POLICE" or "SHERIFF" written across your back or having a badge embroidered on your shirt? Then yes.

It also means taking charge, being in shape and being able to project yourself. Have you heard of that?

What it doesn't mean is wearing a badge while working for a sheriff's dept when your not police certified out in public, Shane. Tread carefully, my friend.
            You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

What did shane do to get fired
              press hard-5 copies

Comment

Let Me Set The Record Straight I Never Wore A Badge Off Duty In The Street I Dont Know Where That Is Comming From Centurion 44 Is Misinformed . It Seems That When I Was Terminated That Was A Ugly Rumor That Someone Stated As For The Reason I Was Terminated . Simply Put I Was Wrongfully Terminated Ive Explained My Suiation In A Thread I Started Called Attention All Ga Law Enforcement Officers In The General Lawenforcement Forum . Yes I Purchased A Badge To Wear In The Jail Just Like A Lot Of Other Deputies In The Jail I Asked Permission And Was Granted It . Furthermore My Official I.d. Card Read Deputy Sheriff So If I Wore It In The Jail I Was Not Inpersonating Anybody . Off Duty I Kept It In My Wallet And Completely Out Of The Publics Sight . I Never Was Involved In Any Off Duty Law Enforcement Matters Nor Was I Ever Questioned By The Gwinnett County Sheriff Office Concerning My Badge . Also If Gwinnett County Does Not Want Their Uncertified Deputies To Announce Themselves To The Public As Deputy Sheriff Dont Give Them A I.d Card That Reads Deputy Sheriff What Kind Of Sense Does That Make .

Comment

if ya work for a sheriff....what other title is he authorizd to appoint ?

we have bailiff's who fill the need of a deputy sheriff to be

present in the courtrooms, some were butch, bakers and candle stick makers.

anyway that said, hope ya get yer job back and a nice pay back check.

just glad our late sheriff in 1997 had special legislation for our county

where we do not serve at his pleasure anymore..!
                  " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                  " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

BOP vs State Prisons

The BOP does seem a little funny about things. I interviewed at a fed Prison in NYC a couple of weeks back and while I was in a waiting room before the interview, the CO who checked people in was not to busy so we talked a bit about the joint.He told me that COs don't carry a baton or pepper spray while they are on the block. I asked him why not and he said why have more weapons on the block? I was taken aback by this but didn't want to make a fuss and possible have this guy say something to his bosses about the guy interviewing being heavy handed with the clients. Then during the interview the panel was the HR lady, a Shrink and a Boss. Everybody was nice and all and asked pretty much the standard questions except the shrink. He was nice too but he asked me if I was watching a group of inmates work and one of the inmates was not pulling his weight as far as their jobs went, would I make him do the worst job all the time. I sad yes I would since he is not pulling his weight. The shrink then followed up with,"what if the inmates were all of different racial backgrounds? Would you still make that inmate do the hardest job all the time and possibly have that inmate feel he is being treated differently due to his race. I told him that I understood his position and I would rotate the workers jobs but that inmate who did the worst work would most likely get the worst job more often than not due to his poor performance on the job.The Boss on the panel give me smile and a nod and the with this being said the shrink was really worried about not offending this inamte.He said, "well you work in a prison now that has a different pop so I can see how you would handle it in that way. I currently work in what you could call a "old school" southern max prison in North Carolina. Inamtes feelings are not a consideration were I work and I got the impression that the feds seemed a bit to PC in my opinion. Where I work, if a inamte steps up to you, you deal with him quickly by any means and then write it up all nice like later without worry about feelings and PC B.S. But I played the game during the interview without totally selling out all self respect. I got a call about a week ago and the HR lady said the warden was reviewing my application and she seemed real positive about everything so I guess I didn't blow it during the interview. I don't like the idea of all the PC crap in a prison but its a big bump up in pay so I'll play nice if thats what it takes to get ahead. The other thing I noticed was the uniforms or I should say the lack of. They look more suited to those selling cell phones than that of a CO IMHO. But like I said, I'll roll with it for the bump and the matching TSP.

Comment

Thanks For The Feed Back .

I Appreciate All Of The Feed Back . I Think That It Is A Shame That A Agency Does Not Trust Its Officers And When It Comes Down To It That Is The Real Reason Behind This Department Not Issuing Badges . I Once Worked For A Agency Like That . Yes I Know That Their Are Alot Of Screw Ups Out There But The Majority Of Them Are Certified Police Officers Not Jailers Or Corrections Officers . You Dont See Police Departments Yanking Badges Because One Of Their Officers Crossed The Line They Deal With That Officer Individually . I Think The Officers Of The B.o.p Deserve More Respect And It Is Time That They Are Treated Like Law Enforecement Officers Instead Of Highly Paid Security Guards .

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop
                        if ya work for a sheriff....what other title is he authorizd to appoint ?
                        Detention Officer.

Here in Georgia, a P.O.S.T. Certified Deputy Sheriff has statewide Law Enforcement Jurisdiction. As I've said in some of my other posts, the Sheriff is a Constitutionally created office and as such is considered the most powerful law enforcement entity in Georgia.

Given the power of a certified Deputy Sheriff in Georgia, I don't think any non-certified officer should be referred to as a Deputy.
                        Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Well Atlcop That Is A Matter You Will Have To Bring Up With The Many Sheriff Departments In Ga . As I Have Stated Before When I Was Hired By Gwinnett County S.O. I Was Hired As A Deputy Sheriff Not A Detention Officer . If A Department Hires A Detention Officer The Department By State Law Only Has To Jailer Certify That Officer With In Six Months . However If A Department Hires You As Deputy Sheriff That Agency Has To Law Enforecement Certify You In 2 Years . Some People Are Confused Because In Ga Deputy Sheriffs And Detention Officers Both Work In The Jail , And If A Deputy Works In The Jail He Is Also Required To Be Jailer Certified As Well As Law Enforcement Mandated . The Reason Some Sheriff Departments Will Not Hire Detention Officers Is Because They Fill ,That Is Just A Warm Body Filling A Uniform And Their Is Little Room For Advancement . But If You Hire Deputy Sheriffs The Skys The Limit , Plenty Of Room To Advance And Plus A Step Up In Pay. I Will Give You A Example The Bibb County Sheriffs Office In Macon Ga Hires Deputy Sheriffs , Uncertified Deputies In Bibb County Are Firearmed Certified And Issued Take Home Weapons The Morale Of The Department Is Good Theese Deputies Will Eventualy Be Mandated , In The Meanwhile They Know That Their Department Has Trust In Its Deputies . On The Other Hand We Have Fulton County Sheriff Office That Department Hires For The Majority Detention Officers To Work In The Jail No Requirment To Law Enforcement Certify Them , no Real Advancement , Morale Is Low And If You Watch The News On A Constant Basis You Will See How This Affects That Department . Maybe The State Of Georgia Should Look To Its Neighbor To The South , Their Are No Jailers In Florida The Jails Are Run By State Post Certified Corrections Officers A Title One Can Be Proud Of And A Lot Of Room For Advancement . Ga Should Do Away With All Jailers, And Detention Officers And Have Certified Corrections Officers To Run The Jails But Thats Just My Opinion .
                          Last edited by pateshane; 08-05-2005, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Bop And Badges

BOP and BADGEs...................................

Here is a website form a Nationally recognized Law Enforcement Badge Manufacture that has available for HR 218 Officer's. It is called the HR218 Concealed Carry Badge. This badge has no inference or connection with the BOP it is only for HR 218 Officer's that want a badge to supplement what they carry that was made specifically for HR 218 Concealed Carry.
                            This is a law enforcement quality badge, size 2
                            Last edited by FEDLEO; 10-02-2005, 04:26 AM.

Comment

In Canada Fed C/O's used to have to bu their own, we are now issued a badge and wallet ID.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5030 users online. 269 members and 4761 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X