Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being a detention officer and being in the military reserves.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a detention officer and being in the military reserves.

Hey there, I have a quick question, I might be getting a job as a detention officer, within the next month or two, but I was also looking into going into the reserves(branch of the military undecided). I was just looking into the reserves to get the experience and training and basically as a resume booster. What I was wondering is should I try to get in the reserves before becoming a detention officer or would I be able to join the reserves after atleast completing my probationary period as a detention officer or would the sheriff's office frown upon me leaving for the training? Thank you for the replies.

Good luck, if you go into the reserves or guard there is a great chance you will be deployed to Iraq. Just some info for ya if you want to keep your corrections job.

Comment

Yes, even assuming you don't get deployed, you still will need to go to basic training with can be 8 to 16 weeks depending on your MOS (Military Operational Specialty).

If your serious about the reserves and haven't gone through any application processes yet to get hired as a detention officer, I'd go ahead and sign up. Who knows? You may even enjoy military life and decide to go active.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Corrections and Military

Reserve/Guard deployment "over there" is actually down by a few thousand, at last count. That's subject to change, however. Check with your agency to see if they offer military leave. Fed BOP will give you 15 paid days of military leave per fiscal year, state of California gives 30 (last time I checked). It might be a net loss to you if you had to take an unpaid time off to do your military drills. Length of boot camp depends on what branch of reserve/guard you look at. If you have equivalent skills, Naval Reserve will send you through a two-week "orientation" and give you paygrade E4 (if they need your skill). Shop around to several different recruiters before you decide to "enlist".
        Ken
        I must go down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life, To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover, and quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Comment

Join the reserves first so u can get the basic training out of the way. I dont know if you are talking about MCSO, but there are DO's there that are in the reserves; my sergeant in the Academy was.

Comment

I can tell you that actual job employment is more critical or worth more than military specialty. But on the other hand, if you join any reserve and have to leave before you complete your probationary period, whatever agaency you work for will have the option to retain you or let you go. By law, if you are deployed to active duty status, they MUST retain you regardless of your probabtionary status.

I spent 3 yrs active duty in the US Army as a Military Police Officer, and 6 in the Army Reserve as Military Police Officer. That time has paid off for me in promotional testing because the active military experience counts along with my actual work experience. So I got a jump on a lot of people and became promotable earlier than most.

It's something that you need to figure out for yourself. But the main thing you need to concentrate on is your employment in the civilian world. Some agencies don't take much stock in military job specialties, while some hold it at a very high level.

You also need to be aware that military recruiters will tell you just about anything to get you to sign. About 5% of a Military Policeman's job is law enforcement, with the rest being Battlefield Combat Control, Physical Security, etc...I spent more time in a foxhole then I ever did in a MP Car. What you see on TV is not what you will most likely being doing. Be very careful in what you decide.

-Rick-
            -Rick-

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6149 users online. 334 members and 5815 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X