Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOP Announcements on USAjobs

Hello all,

I recently applied to USAjobs posting for the GL-05/06 CO position. I spent years working as a CO for the CDCR in Cali and for the last 6 years have been a VA Police Officer serving from Officer-Sgt-Detective-LT-and now Cpt. While its nice, its really low pay, and even worse practices (you have Med Center Directors managing a Police Dept).

I am 35 and need to get into FLEO retirement so I'm thinking I'll go into BOP. I was good at Corrections and dont mind it like others.

When I applied, I was told to pick two (2) preference locations listed out of about 40 or so facilities. I picked FCP Pensacola and FCI Englewood.

What are the odds of getting those? If they are listed to pick from does that meant they are hiring?

Also, I am currently a NON-FLEO VA police Cpt at the GS-09 level. Will I get stepped out?

How long is the process?

Will I be expected to travel to FCP Pensacola for an interview?

Thanks for any insight.

You won't hire in Pensacola off the street. And Englewood is iffy. I would suggest putting in for any FCC with a USP in they are hiring a lot at USP's right now because they have to add staff very soon (long story) If Florida is of interest Coleman has 2 USP's and 2 FCI's for you

Comment

What's the story

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rcplaneguy View Post
        What's the story

The story?

Comment

All I will say publicly is BOP is adding staff at USP's Hence the hiring fest's at most all USP's.

Comment

I work for bop and haven't heard anything

Comment

ugh i hate that.... if i wasn't about to start this other job in a few weeks id put in for coleman
              officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

Englewood needs people. Wether or not they will hire or run short staff is the question. Soon, say next three months they will have to hire due to staff attrition.
                The front range area is very expensive and hurts Englewoods ability to get good help at the entry pay. It is an easy place to work for the most part, inmates are compliant usually. When shots are written, sometimes nothing is done but that is the nature of the Feds I suppose, upper level decision makers seem to have a social workers outlook of forgive and forget, they need more commissary and visits!

The hard part is not knowing if you are Going in for an 8 hour shift, or a sixteen hour shift. Lots of bang ins, no extras.

Comment

Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                  Englewood needs people. Wether or not they will hire or run short staff is the question. Soon, say next three months they will have to hire due to staff attrition.
                  The front range area is very expensive and hurts Englewoods ability to get good help at the entry pay. It is an easy place to work for the most part, inmates are compliant usually. When shots are written, sometimes nothing is done but that is the nature of the Feds I suppose, upper level decision makers seem to have a social workers outlook of forgive and forget, they need more commissary and visits!

The hard part is not knowing if you are Going in for an 8 hour shift, or a sixteen hour shift. Lots of bang ins, no extras.
                  Good info. Thank you. We are currently in Cheyenne and my wife works in Fort Collins. We are aware of the costs of living but will be fine. Are housing units manned appropriately? Or are you stuck with no partner on most occasions?

I know nothing of how BOP runs. Back when I was a CO for CDC in California we were very well manned and equipped as far as Use of Force options, I'm guessing not so much with BOP? Although, as most in this business know, my mind and communication will do wonders over a tool on my belt, either way its nice to have the option.

Comment

Originally posted by meastt View Post
                    Good info. Thank you. We are currently in Cheyenne and my wife works in Fort Collins. We are aware of the costs of living but will be fine. Are housing units manned appropriately? Or are you stuck with no partner on most occasions?

I know nothing of how BOP runs. Back when I was a CO for CDC in California we were very well manned and equipped as far as Use of Force options, I'm guessing not so much with BOP? Although, as most in this business know, my mind and communication will do wonders over a tool on my belt, either way its nice to have the option.
                    They are adding Manning to USP's. They started having #2 officers in USP housing units on evenings about 2 1/2 years ago. Now it is going around the clock at USP's. Before that and on Days its 1 officer to 120 ish inmates. At FCI's you are usually by yourself and depending on the layout. At an old USP that is now a FCI the units hold 130 to a couple hold 150 plus and you are by yourself.

As far as use of force FCI's have very little but at USP's you will see a lot more. Not that bad things dontbor can't happen at FCI'S they just are not as often or nearly as bad as what you will see at any given USP's.

Good luck

Comment

One Officer per unit of 150 to 200. FCI population is quite mellow. It is a low. The Detention Center also has one Officer per unit. Not at all ideal in my opinion, but staff have never been hurt. It is a very low stress place as prisons go. You will not have a partner. The Feds are not big on staffing, or aggressive, proactive work. Compared to CDCR we are stuck in the 70s as for use of force options. We recently got OC, and they (upper management) act like they are cutting edge light sabers or something!
                      CDCR is way better trained (16 weeks vs 3, yeah, 3 weeks of training). Don't even ask about Tasers, that is for the next century!
                      We do have very good and experienced staff here, they make up for the short comings with lots of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                        One Officer per unit of 150 to 200. FCI population is quite mellow. It is a low. The Detention Center also has one Officer per unit. Not at all ideal in my opinion, but staff have never been hurt. It is a very low stress place as prisons go. You will not have a partner. The Feds are not big on staffing, or aggressive, proactive work. Compared to CDCR we are stuck in the 70s as for use of force options. We recently got OC, and they (upper management) act like they are cutting edge light sabers or something!
                        CDCR is way better trained (16 weeks vs 3, yeah, 3 weeks of training). Don't even ask about Tasers, that is for the next century!
                        We do have very good and experienced staff here, they make up for the short comings with lots of experience.
                        Yeah CDCr was great training and fun place to work. However my wife was military and we had to move so I needed a job that could transfer between states so the VA Police fit the bill. Being that the VA Police will never foreseeably get 6C I need to get into an agency that has it and good transfer options, insert BOP.

How does the hiring timeline work? I submitted through USAjobs but don't really know what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by meastt View Post
                          Yeah CDCr was great training and fun place to work. However my wife was military and we had to move so I needed a job that could transfer between states so the VA Police fit the bill. Being that the VA Police will never foreseeably get 6C I need to get into an agency that has it and good transfer options, insert BOP.

How does the hiring timeline work? I submitted through USAjobs but don't really know what to expect.
                          It depends on the institution but say there are openings where you applied. IF all the planets line up I have seen some streamlines hiring where right at 2 months. However in reality you doing better than average if your in the door in 6 months from app to IF.

Comment

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                            It depends on the institution but say there are openings where you applied. IF all the planets line up I have seen some streamlines hiring where right at 2 months. However in reality you doing better than average if your in the door in 6 months from app to IF.
                            Thanks for the info!

Comment

Englewood will be hiring. Put it as first choice for a bit. We just lost a couple more staff this week, and there will be more vacancies created by up coming promotions. When I see HR I'll ask, but seem to seldom see them. It is a slow, but interesting place to work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10359 users online. 381 members and 9978 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X