Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaining rank with BOP

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gaining rank with BOP

    How hard is it the gain rank and increase your salary once you gain your GL-7.

  • #2
    Well getting your 8 is competitive. If you are willing to move around the BOP you can get rank fast. All depends.

    Comment


    • #3
      BOP doesn't have rank per say. You gain increase in responsibility past the GL 8 range as far as custody but the responsibility far out reaches what pay increase you get. GL 8 is just at the top of the pay chart as far as being an Officer what counts more is seniority. You could have 7 years in and get your GL 8 but a 10 year GL 7 still beats you on what job, vacation and O/T they want.

      To be promoted to GL 8 you use to have to be able to work every correctional post however theses days that is not always the case. Some cry and complain if they don't get their 8 in 3-4 years where when you look at old stand alone homestead joints 12 or more years was the norm before getting your GL 8.

      So if GL/GS levels is what you seek move around every 18-24 months loosing or damaging your household goods and your there
      Last edited by in625shooter; 09-19-2014, 08:31 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        @in625shooter what I mean what is the best way to gain rank woth BOP

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tazz7210 View Post
          @in625shooter what I mean what is the best way to gain rank woth BOP
          knee pads
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tazz7210 View Post
            @in625shooter what I mean what is the best way to gain rank woth BOP
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            knee pads


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tazz7210 View Post
              @in625shooter what I mean what is the best way to gain rank woth BOP
              Most folks got their promotions faster by traveling around, they put in for an activating institution after they had their 7 for a year to get their 8 (activating institutions have more GL 8 spots and are the only way you can get a paid 8 moove or anything below GL 9 usually)
              Others have did their couple years in custody and then crossed over as a Case manager which goes up from GL7 to GL9 to GS11 every year. Then they are an 11 for a couple years and transfer out as a 12 unit manager etc. The problem is while they might be exposed to different institutions they still don't know what they should for their grade. The problem is a lot of folks that transfer around have never been anyplace long enough (like 18 months and they are moving on) to see a lot, especially if they have never been to a USP which are the most active type of Federal prisons.

              There are a couple other ways but let me state what I have stated here before, the most powerful person in BOP is not the Warden or AW or Captain its a GL 8 step 10 Senior Officer Specialist with seniority. Everything is done by seniority and GL8's generally (at older institutions anyway) have the years in that they know the institution, who to handle things, get the days off they want, vacation they want and first dibs on O/T.

              Also Being a LT or anything else above GL 8 is not all that but good luck if thats what you want.

              Comment


              • #8
                My opion is that.BOP union suck a reguler officer should go up automatically to at less gs9. Theres othrr agencys that go to gs12 in 4 years and they bust there asses less the u guys. Its easy to lock them up but u guys have to basically live with them gettin paid crap.. In order to.move up to gs9 you guys have to.move thats ****ty. You guys will spend more money doing that. Findind a house or apartment and other expenses in order to get paid acouple of bucks. Not worth it..I,respect CO's. I always say that you should get paid more the police...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LEO2010 View Post
                  My opion is that.BOP union suck a reguler officer should go up automatically to at less gs9. Theres othrr agencys that go to gs12 in 4 years and they bust there asses less the u guys. Its easy to lock them up but u guys have to basically live with them gettin paid crap.. In order to.move up to gs9 you guys have to.move thats ****ty. You guys will spend more money doing that. Findind a house or apartment and other expenses in order to get paid acouple of bucks. Not worth it..I,respect CO's. I always say that you should get paid more the police...
                  The grade or GL/GS levels in BOP has nothing to do with the Union. BOP has the largest number of non supervisory positions in any FED LE Agency. There are GL 9 LT's that hold supervisory responsibilities and there are GS 11 Teachers, Case Managers and such that do not hold Supervisory responsibility.

                  Also While everyone in BOP has statutory powers of arrest you would be hard pressed to find the last time a non inmate was arrested. Where other agencies that is more of their mission.

                  If you transfer with BOP and it's paid the GOV gives you so much in allowances for the move, they buy your house and there are some other perks. If you do a lateral then it is on you to get yourself there. Most paid moves are at the GL 9 LT or higher. The exception to that is for an activating institution. Activating ones will have paid moves for folks GL 7 ish and up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Shooter I knew all this but it still sucks man. You guys do the hard work and get paid crap. Anybody can arrest a perp but not everybody can be locked up with one taking all the bs..


                    Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                    The grade or GL/GS levels in BOP has nothing to do with the Union. BOP has the largest number of non supervisory positions in any FED LE Agency. There are GL 9 LT's that hold supervisory responsibilities and there are GS 11 Teachers, Case Managers and such that do not hold Supervisory responsibility.

                    Also While everyone in BOP has statutory powers of arrest you would be hard pressed to find the last time a non inmate was arrested. Where other agencies that is more of their mission.

                    If you transfer with BOP and it's paid the GOV gives you so much in allowances for the move, they buy your house and there are some other perks. If you do a lateral then it is on you to get yourself there. Most paid moves are at the GL 9 LT or higher. The exception to that is for an activating institution. Activating ones will have paid moves for folks GL 7 ish and up.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LEO2010 View Post
                      Shooter I knew all this but it still sucks man. You guys do the hard work and get paid crap. Anybody can arrest a perp but not everybody can be locked up with one taking all the bs..

                      Many that have worked in BOP (and some Sheriffs have this practice) believe that it should be required for anyone wanting to be a LEO for any FED agency should be required to spend a couple years working for BOP. It builds a lot of character and besides if someone thinks they are too good to do all aspects/jobs within LE they probably shouldn't be in LE. More to it than being in a patrol car on parade and simply arresting folks.

                      I sorta have the same view but every FED agency is overrated really. If folks want any kind of progressive LE career they are better off avoiding every Federal agency and getting on with a good State Police agency somewhere but even then that is iffy as several are good and several worry about nothing but traffic.

                      No LE job is like the movies and folks getting into it with visions of grander are deeply disappointed when reality catches them.
                      Last edited by in625shooter; 09-28-2014, 08:10 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LEO2010 View Post
                        In order to.move up to gs9 you guys have to.move thats ****ty. You guys will spend more money doing that. Findind a house or apartment and other expenses in order to get paid acouple of bucks. Not worth it..I,respect CO's. I always say that you should get paid more the police...
                        When you are promoted to GL-9 you get a paid move if you have to move.

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 4624 users online. 280 members and 4344 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X