300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOP interview

So I finally had my interview with BOP. Everything seemed like it went well however I'm curious about veterans preference. I'm just curious if you guys know how the system works. I took the 30 question test (60 answers), video, report writing, panel interview and then Glynco/P.A.T. Video. Human resources then told me to call in two weeks and check if I hadn't heard anything from them yet. But then she advised again about Vet. Preference. Just don't know what to think.

Any info is appreciated.

Originally posted by itlbtu2 View Post
    So I finally had my interview with BOP. Everything seemed like it went well however I'm curious about veterans preference. I'm just curious if you guys know how the system works. I took the 30 question test (60 answers), video, report writing, panel interview and then Glynco/P.A.T. Video. Human resources then told me to call in two weeks and check if I hadn't heard anything from them yet. But then she advised again about Vet. Preference. Just don't know what to think.

Any info is appreciated.
    Congrats on the interview. Seems like it went well for you. BTW, where did you interviewed?

What exactly do you mean by the veterans preference? Are you referring to the "age waiver" us veterans must get?

Comment

Thanks...I interviewed in Greenville, IL. I am referring to her meaning that any veteran would be hired first regardless of score or qualifications......maybe I misinterpreted that. I guess that is my question.

Comment

Originally posted by itlbtu2 View Post

Any info is appreciated.
        You should be getting a call back to schedule a physical, the Core values assessment test is the 1st thing you do if you fail you're not allowed to continue on to the video, report writing, panel interview and then Glynco/P.A.T. Video.

Comment

Should I expect a phone call for the physical or is that something that everybody goes through and then will I have the opportunity to be hired or should I just forget about it because of the veterans preference? The only reason I keep bringing it up is because I talked to a friend that works there and he said not to hold my breath due to them only hiring vets. Please don't take me wrong, I am pro vet...I just don't know if I'm wasting my time or not.

Comment

Btw thanks for the responses guys.

Comment

Veterans Preference just adds 10 points to your aggregate score. Years ago veterans preference meant you had first opportunities for jobs regardless of test scores. Nowadays the point system is used. I could be wrong at the Fed level, but for for local/county/state jobs you just get 10 points added to your score. Personally, I think vet preference should be abolished.

Comment

Does anyone here have knowledge as to C.O. Age waivers for vets? I am a prior BOP employee, retired LE, seeking a return. I have passed all hiring events, and am awaiting an age waiver.
                How often are they approved, or why are they denied? In great shape, crossfit 3 to 4 times a week, great employment history and references. Also what are the approval criteria?
                Any direct knowledge would be great. In the end whatever happens happens. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Last I knew, vets got 5 points for regular service. Wounded or disabled vets got 10. I don't begrudge that a bit. Laying in dirt with metal in your body and blood leaving deserves some reward period.

Comment

Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                    Does anyone here have knowledge as to C.O. Age waivers for vets? I am a prior BOP employee, retired LE, seeking a return. I have passed all hiring events, and am awaiting an age waiver.
                    How often are they approved, or why are they denied? In great shape, crossfit 3 to 4 times a week, great employment history and references. Also what are the approval criteria?
                    Any direct knowledge would be great. In the end whatever happens happens. Thanks in advance.
                    I am in pretty much the same boat. From what I heard in another forum, it make take something like 2 months or so. This is coming from someone waiting on the age waiver in order to EOD, so it should be pretty accurate, but who knows. It seems like something new in BOP and there are no definite answers. I hope someone can shed some light.

Comment

itlbtu2 your interview question was also answered on prisonofficer.org

As for the Veterans issue. For BOP (and most FED's) there are 2 types of VET preference. There is the Points you get for being a vet which is either 5 points for just serving and then the 10 points for a 30% service connected disability etc. While yes they have to give someone with the VET points a preference they are still required to be rated as "Best Qualified" to get an interview. The 5 and 10 point Veterens preference is totoally different than a VRA announcement.

BOP does make the VRA job announcements (especially for Corrections Officers). VRA is a Veterans Recruitment Appointment. Those announcements are the ones where you DO NOT have to have the experience to be Best Qualified. Everyone that fits the veterans criteria
                      will be referred for an interview. The downside is instead of coming in as a GS 6 all VRA appointments come in at GS 5. Not a big deal since everyone gets their 7 automatically anyway just take you a year longer.

As far as the age waiver, that is totally new (within the last 18 or so months) and my institution does a ton of hiring and has only hired 1 staff member that was retired military under the waiver program. So while it is in place not really sure on the ins and outs of it.

One would think the military waiver wouldn't be rocket science since BOP give waivers to medical and clergy staff (that are not military) since they started the whole LE retirement coverage but then again it is the Government.

Comment

Vet Pref gets you in the door with BOP. If you were interviewed, and if everything passes you will have a job. Vet Pref for BOP is what is pulled on the cert list. Such as the warden says pull me a GL-05 list and hire ten of them. The HR person will request from Grand Prairie a list of 30 eligibles. In that list the top people will be 30% disabled vets, then 5 point vets then Highly qualified US Citizens. Sometimes a list never has US Citizens on it, just Vets, if there are a lot of vets in the area of the prison.

So if you were interviewed, you were on the cert list, you will be called for a physical if you passed the interview. Then a urine test, then EQIP and then all that gets reviewed by Grand Prairie and then they authorize the institution to hire you.

So can a US Citizen be hired over a vet, YES, if the vet does poorly on the interview. Vet points are NOT added to your overall score on an interview with BOP. Interview mostly is pass or fail, unless they have a ton of applicants and they want to weed through them and select the best. But the HR manager can select anyone that interviewed to move on with the process.

Comment

Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
                          itlbtu2 your interview question was also answered on prisonofficer.org

As for the Veterans issue. For BOP (and most FED's) there are 2 types of VET preference. There is the Points you get for being a vet which is either 5 points for just serving and then the 10 points for a 30% service connected disability etc. While yes they have to give someone with the VET points a preference they are still required to be rated as "Best Qualified" to get an interview. The 5 and 10 point Veterens preference is totoally different than a VRA announcement.

BOP does make the VRA job announcements (especially for Corrections Officers). VRA is a Veterans Recruitment Appointment. Those announcements are the ones where you DO NOT have to have the experience to be Best Qualified. Everyone that fits the veterans criteria
                          will be referred for an interview. The downside is instead of coming in as a GS 6 all VRA appointments come in at GS 5. Not a big deal since everyone gets their 7 automatically anyway just take you a year longer.

As far as the age waiver, that is totally new (within the last 18 or so months) and my institution does a ton of hiring and has only hired 1 staff member that was retired military under the waiver program. So while it is in place not really sure on the ins and outs of it.

One would think the military waiver wouldn't be rocket science since BOP give waivers to medical and clergy staff (that are not military) since they started the whole LE retirement coverage but then again it is the Government.
                          I have to correct you here, in 2010 I was hired for FCC Tucson under a VRA announcement. I was hired as a GL-06 for having prior experience. I did not have to do the 2 year probation required by VRA and was promoted to 07 after a year. VRA was replaced with veteran direct hire. Meaning agencies do not need to pull you on a list of eligibles they can just take your DD-214 and resume and hire you. Most institutions do not know about this or are to rigid and just get a cert of eligibles.

Comment

Originally posted by Wentwest View Post
                            Age waivers are approved with regularity as long as your physical is good. Grand Prairie approves them, it does take up to 2 months sometimes.

Comment

That pretty much is what I was wondering....Thank You ALL for the quick replies!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5694 users online. 297 members and 5397 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X