Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDCR applicants and social media

Hello all,

I am entering the backgrounds phase with CDCR and I've been told that having any type of social media account such as Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc... can greatly affect your chances of being hired. Is there any truth to this?

I have a Facebook account which I check from time to time. Should I delete it? Does anyone know what CDCR's policy (if any) is regarding social media?

Deleting it will seem very suspicious. I'm not sure who told you that, but as long as it doesn't depict anything bad, social media is alright.

Comment

They didn't check mine or ask me to open it. I met with my background investigator in March. I have my fb all 100% private. Just make sure you don't have inappropriate posts including private messages that would make you look bad.

If you want a career like this you have to live a life that will represent you as profession both on duty and off.

Comment

They never checked mine and I'm just very careful of what I post and basically I just do it to keep in touch with family.

Comment

That's what I figured. I just thought it was bad in general and could affect their decision to hire you.

Comment

If you're honest with your background and your FB page matches up with your actual lifestyle..you should be ok. If you're dishonest about your lifestyle/conduct and someone tells the your BI to look at your FB page to see the "real you" they can ask to see your page.

Comment

The issue is simply, do you have anything posted on your FB account that would reflect unfavorably upon you as a peace officer or upon state employment?

In doing backgrounds for California state service there is a catch all DQ factor I will quote verbatim:

All candidates for, appointees to, and employees in the state civil service shall possess the general qualifications of integrity, honesty, sobriety, dependability, industry, thoroughness, accuracy, good judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, courtesy, ability to work cooperatively with others, willingness and ability to assume the responsibilities and to conform to the conditions of work characteristic of the employment, and a state of health, consistent with the ability to perform the assigned duties of the class. Where the position requires the driving of an automobile, the employee must have a valid state driver's license, a good driving record and is expected to drive the car safely. The foregoing general qualifications shall be deemed to be a part of the personal characteristics of the minimum qualifications of each class specification and need not be specifically set forth therein. The board may prescribe alternative or additional qualifications for individual classes and such shall be made a part of the class specifications.

Look carefully at the words of integrity, honesty, sobriety, dependability, industry, thoroughness, accuracy, good judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, courtesy, ability to work cooperatively with others. Is there anything on your FB page suggesting you may have engaged in conduct that shows you lacked any one of those traits? That's where FB get's folks in trouble.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by stevenseq View Post
                Hello all,

I am entering the backgrounds phase with CDCR and I've been told that having any type of social media account such as Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc... can greatly affect your chances of being hired. Is there any truth to this?

I have a Facebook account which I check from time to time. Should I delete it? Does anyone know what CDCR's policy (if any) is regarding social media?

I have numerous friends from officers to a recent retired Warden that chat with me on facebook. Some are retired and some are still working at their perspective institutions around the state.
                Should be a worry or concern with it.

good luck and stay safe.

Graydog
                Retired CDC
                With Strength and Power We Will Prevail......

Comment

Dont worry about it so much. I cleared backgrounds 3 weeks ago. They never asked to see my facebook or social media. Just have privacy settings on max and dont post stuff that you wouldn't want your boss to see. Backgrounds is easy if you are honest with them up front from what they ask you in the packet. If you answer all questions in the packet truthfully they wont even contact you until they send you an email that you cleared.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5757 users online. 328 members and 5429 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X