Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDCR Pelican Bay Questions

Hello,

I am currently in the background process. On June 17th, 2014 will mark my 90 day period for the background process. I should pass, I have a clear background not even a ticket. I have passed the physical and written. I received a fast track offer if I chose Pelican Bay or 2 other prisons in Nor Cal. I chose Pelican Bay. I currently work Public Safety and am a certified TASER instructor.

A few questions I have if anyone could answer would be great:
    -Is there a good amount of openings at Pelican Bay currently?
    -How is it working at Pelican Bay?
    -I would have to relocate to work there, where is a good area to live near by where there wont be a long commute? I herd crescent city is a stay away area because there is an abundance of prison families that live/stay there.
    -If I chose to stay at Pelican Bay and not transfer anywhere else, are promotional abilities pretty good at this prison?

If anyone could answer any of the questions would help a lot! Cant wait till this waiting game is over and begin my career.

Can't help with most of the questions, but have stayed at a Holiday Inn express! Seriously though, a lady I knew that had lived there said when looking for housing to be extra vigilant for signs of black mold. She made it sound as though mold is a big issue up there.
    Best wishes!

Comment

Not a lot up there except Crescent City....unless you want to live in a camper in the woods. You could always try a bit farther north and live in Oregon possibly.

There is a reason its hard to keep people working in those places. It is very remote. If you like the redwoods and ocean though it would be alright.

Comment

I was thinking maybe brookings Oregon. I love remote areas and oceans. I'm not a city person at all. My favorite type of conditions are rain and clouds.

Comment

It is a good amount of rain and clouds for ya, but you'll pretty much be far from everything. A friend of mine is going through the process and is pretty much done with it all. They offered him Pelican Bay or two other locations in the proximity of Susanville, but he says they are hiring a lot for Pelican Bay; just what I have heard from him.

From what I've read as well is that those who have fast tracked up the ladder (Warden; Captains) have started or worked there. I guess when you get to deal with the baddest inmates in the State--that is yr reward for a better career. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas View Post
            It is a good amount of rain and clouds for ya, but you'll pretty much be far from everything. A friend of mine is going through the process and is pretty much done with it all. They offered him Pelican Bay or two other locations in the proximity of Susanville, but he says they are hiring a lot for Pelican Bay; just what I have heard from him.

From what I've read as well is that those who have fast tracked up the ladder (Warden; Captains) have started or worked there. I guess when you get to deal with the baddest inmates in the State--that is yr reward for a better career. Good luck.
            Thanks for the heads up! Good luck with your LASD process.

Comment

I'm a County C.O. from Far Nor Cal (albeit not as far north as Del Norte County, where Pelican Bay is).

Crescent City is alright, but fairly small with the nearest metro areas being Eureka in Humboldt County, and Grants Pass, Oregon.

It's got a nice little bit of coast, but is rainy most of the time. Cost of living is low.

If I were you, I would also consider High Desert and CCC in Susanville. Based on my knowledge of CDCR, those were likely your other options for "fast-track." Susanville is about an hour out of Reno, NV.

The only thing you'll have to get used to living up here is nature (which is nice), and rednecks.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about things up here in Far Northern California. I grew up here and work in the LE/Corrections field.

Comment

Just an update in my process:
                -Written test passed
                -Physical test passed
                -Background interview passed
                -Background cleared
                -Psych written taken
                -Vision test passed

Awaiting phone call for psych oral interview and medical screening to finally finish the hiring process.

Comment

hey good luck man
                  i have my PAT next week (hopefully if i can find my birth certificate) I am very much OK with going to Pelican Bay. Looking forward to the hiring process.
                  how long from written to right now has it taken for you?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4386 users online. 227 members and 4159 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X