X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer negligence

Hi everyone
    A newbie here,,,
    Can anyone give me an example report on how to write a Officer's negligence.
    This Officer observed two inmates fighting, he intervened to try to break it up, more inmates came on the scene and they tossed him around a bit and now he;s claiming he got hurt, He never used his radio and he didn't wait for help.

Thanks

Originally posted by CO55 View Post
    Hi everyone
    A newbie here,,,
    This Officer observed two inmates fighting, he intervened to try to break it up, more inmates came on the scene and they tossed him around a bit and now he;s claiming he got hurt, He never used his radio and he didn't wait for help.

Thanks
    Talk to him about what happened. See if you can make him understand his errors.

If you can't make him understand what he did wrong..................go speak with your supervisor and take direction from the supervisor as how to continue.
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

A couple questions first

I pose these questions not to be answered here in this forum, but for you to ask yourself before you do anything.

What does written departmental policy call for in this situation, how did the officer violate it and how do you know this to be true?

How do you know he didn’t radio for assistance and didn’t wait for help? Is it possible he radioed for help but his transmission did not get out? Did you witness this event? If so, did you radio for assistance and then come to his aid? If not why? Or, are you basing this on what you heard from someone? (Hearsay)

Do you hold a position of supervisory authority over this person? Are you responsible for the quality and quantity of his work? If not, did his actions in this matter endanger you? If you are not his supervisor, why are you taking action in this matter rather than his supervisor?

If the officer is claiming injury, his supervisor will have to do an injury review and accident prevention report. As part of that, isn’t it his job to look at whether the officer followed department policy and proper safety protocols? By making a separate written complaint, will you be publicly suggesting that his supervisor is incompetent, or covering up any misconduct by the officer, or will you be attempting to undermine the supervisor by trying to show his managers that you can do the supervisor’s job better than him?

FWIW, if it were me and talking to the officer didn't work, I would verbally pass whatever information I had onto the officer’s supervisor and allow him to do his job. If he asks you to put it in writing, do so, explaining what you know and how you know it. If you were not there and did not personally witness it, be careful about spreading rumors and assumptions. If you were there, be prepared to explain what sssistance you did or did not provide and why.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Those are excellent questions.... and without going into a lot I can sum it all up. survellience vidoe revealed the actions of the Officer, they had a working radio which was checked.... there were another oFiicer and Supervisor nearby that he did not report it to........ And most importantly.. yes I am their Supervisor and they signed a statement stating those exact facts.

I am a new Supervisor and wanted an exmaple on how to write this without messing it up.
        Thank You

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        I pose these questions not to be answered here in this forum, but for you to ask yourself before you do anything.

What does written departmental policy call for in this situation, how did the officer violate it and how do you know this to be true?

How do you know he didn’t radio for assistance and didn’t wait for help? Is it possible he radioed for help but his transmission did not get out? Did you witness this event? If so, did you radio for assistance and then come to his aid? If not why? Or, are you basing this on what you heard from someone? (Hearsay)

Do you hold a position of supervisory authority over this person? Are you responsible for the quality and quantity of his work? If not, did his actions in this matter endanger you? If you are not his supervisor, why are you taking action in this matter rather than his supervisor?

If the officer is claiming injury, his supervisor will have to do an injury review and accident prevention report. As part of that, isn’t it his job to look at whether the officer followed department policy and proper safety protocols? By making a separate written complaint, will you be publicly suggesting that his supervisor is incompetent, or covering up any misconduct by the officer, or will you be attempting to undermine the supervisor by trying to show his managers that you can do the supervisor’s job better than him?

FWIW, if it were me and talking to the officer didn't work, I would verbally pass whatever information I had onto the officer’s supervisor and allow him to do his job. If he asks you to put it in writing, do so, explaining what you know and how you know it. If you were not there and did not personally witness it, be careful about spreading rumors and assumptions. If you were there, be prepared to explain what sssistance you did or did not provide and why.

Comment

Wasn't all this " paper work" to be completed by the end of your shift? How can anything be written now without your supervisor writing you up as well???

Comment

Those are excellent questions.... and without going into a lot I can sum it all up. survellience vidoe revealed the actions of the Officer, they had a working radio which was checked.... there were another oFiicer and Supervisor nearby that he did not report it to........ And most importantly.. yes I am their Supervisor and they signed a statement stating those exact facts.

I am a new Supervisor and wanted an exmaple on how to write this without messing it up.
            Thank You
            confer with YOUR supervisor...................you haven't been trained very well
            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Ummm. In your interview for your supervisor position I'm guessing you didn't tell the powers that be that when you are unsure of your next course of action you will seek the advise of Internet strangers on a message board?
              Formerly "TheAxolotl"

Comment

Since this is a potential workplace injury issue – you NEED to ensure you are on point with what the department policy is and that any action/allegation/inflection you make is supported.

What does your SOP say about an officer going solo into a fight/cell?

Is this a federal, state or local facility? I ask because each workplace has similar- but also importantly different procedures for not just documenting post-incident injuries, but also supervisory/witness information regarding potential employee fault.

This cryptic and scant post begs so many questions that it is just silly.

That said- I wrote a memorandum for you.

MEMORANDUM

To:
                Chain of Command

Subj: Negligence Memorandum

This memorandum is being issued to bring forth allegations of negligence. Because this is only a memorandum it is not grievable.

It is alleged that CO55 has failed to attain the requisite level of supervisory skills needed to effectively discharge his responsibilities. While this may be due to a lack of oversight and management, it is a serious matter that must be addressed.

Effective immediately - CO55 shall review the department/agency policy manuals, shall consult with his immediate supervisor for guidance, and shall ensure he becomes well acquainted with the procedures tied to subordinate discipline.

CO55

//s//
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Hi everyone
                  A newbie here,,,

Thanks
                  You are one heck of a supervisor.................
                  Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                  Me: you really want an answer to that
                  Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    confer with YOUR supervisor...................you haven't been trained very well
                    Which suggest they train their line staff even less.................
                    Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
                    Me: you really want an answer to that
                    Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

If he or she is nyc doc, very typical idiotic ways are set in stone.

Typical stabbing in the back dooshbaggery.
                      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing brother.

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                        If he or she is nyc doc, very typical idiotic ways are set in stone.

Typical stabbing in the back dooshbaggery.

Comment

You guys are so brutal lol. Always speak to a seasoned officer that has experience writing these reports. And like they said on here, check your rules and regs. You can explain anything in writing as long as you know what governs you.

Comment

A better answet would have been stop flexing your muscles. You never know if that person will be your boss one day.

Talk to the officer first.
                            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

You seem to have no concern about the Officer who was in an altercation with inmates, did not receive backup, and was injured. You do, however, seem far more concerned with reducing liability and getting him into trouble. I hope doing things like this isn't how stripes and brass are earned in your agency.

If you get a chance, send the officer my best regards and let him know I hope he recovers from his injury soon.

Good luck in your new supervisory position, I hope it's everything you dreamed it would be.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4143 users online. 273 members and 3870 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X