Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Correction Officers during the Hiring Process

Hey everyone,
    Just took the NYC Correction Officer Exam and did well on it. I am wondering about the hiring process and how it relates to my situation. I wonder if applicants like myself get disqualified for prior usage of an SSRI for anxiety in the past. I used to take paxil for some gastrointestinal problems and doctor prescribed Paxil. At the time I was 20 and in college and had a hard time eating because of inflammation. It had a big toll on my social life and i was depressed about that so I went to the doctor and he stated that I am suffering from symptoms of anxiety and prescribed me some paxil. For me it was a miracle, because bad stomachs run in my family and for the first time in my life I had no stomach pains or any stomach issues. Anyway, i was on the med for 6 years and been off it now for 2 years. I am wondering when I get called up for the hiring process, will this disqualify me? I also took the exam for the NYPD and FDNY and I understand that a past use of an SSRI for a cop and Firefighter is a serious red flag and most likely than not they disqualify candidates because of past use of a prescription psyche medication. Is the psych review any different for a correction officer? I am sure it will raise a red flag but will it totally disqualify me? currently i do not have any stomach problems or no need for any SSRI's but just want to know what you guys think. Thank you forum, and I am willing to take advice from anyone, current correction officers and retired ones too.
    -Peace

Do not let this deter you from pursuing your goals. Your post reminds me of the anxieties I was experiencing before pursuing my career in law enforcement. If you can demonstrate that you are of good character, and that you can make sound and ethical decisions then I think you have a fair shot. It may be a red-flag to agencies, but don't let it encapsulate you as a person and control your decisions. I asked the same question, and received some positive and negative feedback. Now,five years later my career is going well. I enjoy putting on the uniform and walking behind the razor wire.
    However, this is in a state in the western U.S. I cannot be certain when it comes to NYC.

FYI-Current State Correctional Officer with 5 years experience. (Was previously prescribed an S.S.R.I.)

Comment

God Bless you dude. You are the only man that responded to me in this forum. I am not the type to easily get discouraged but I have to say I did have my doubts in regard to being accepted as a C.O. considering my past use of an S.S.R.I. I will not take your advice and encouragement lightly- thanks bro. I know that NYC may be different but I cant help but think, did your past use of a prescribed drug cause a red flag and an extra psych evaluation? thanks again.

Comment

Wouldn't be a problem in TDCJ as they don't do psych evals... county jailers do have them though, and it would be agency dependent...
        sigpic
        Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
          Wouldn't be a problem in TDCJ as they don't do psych evals... county jailers do have them though, and it would be agency dependent...
          that sounds cool but i cant move out of NYC- got a family to support. thanks for the info though

Comment

I'm a co for NY state. Only during the medical exam did they ask about prescription drug use and never about ones previously used. During the background and psyc evau. they did ask about present and past illegal drug use. And believe it or not, they were more concerned about how much I drank. A response of six beers aweek is bad. If you were arested in the past for a minor drug charge, you just had to explain it. Your's was medical from a doctor. Be honest with your BI and psych. Doctor and if they ask just explain it. Be yourself in these interviews. I had some similar issues and they were no problem. The city is hiring, just be patient, future CO !!!!

Comment

So they only ask about current prescription drug use and not previous ones? is that what you are saying? You had similiar issues? interesting...Thanks man i appreciate it. I am in the process right now of getting my license and I just took the exam like several months ago so I have atleast a year or two before they call me up. I feel like I went to college for nothing because I actually completed an advanced degree and using it for a job that pays crap and weak benefits. I'd rather become a CO and make decent money with good benefits like yourself. Peace and thanks for the advice.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8556 users online. 409 members and 8147 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
              X