300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at these states

Hello fellow CO's. Im a correction officer in Michigan for the past 11 years. I like my job but really hate Michigan. Im looking for a warmer climate. Problem is I am blind in one eye spent over 3,000 (flight, hotel, food, 2 trips) to do all the testing in Arizona only to find out there is a 20/40 vision test for each eye. So here is my question....Im looking at Flordia, Arkansas, Mississippi, Utah and what Im really wanting is Texas......any input on any of these states would be helpful.

YOu would be ok in Iowa---------------but the climate isn't much better than Michigan.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Texas - TDCJ won't care about your vision. There's no kind of physical. PAT though...
      sigpic
      Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Come on down to Texas. I just finished my first week of the TDCJ academy. The Physical Agility Test isn't hard at all to pass, there's a lady in mine that has to be 80 that passed it.

Comment

Im going to call Texas tuesday. Heard some pretty good things about it there. Another important factor would be if they let me carry some of my 11 years toward my pay. Arizona was going to recognize 8 years so I would have been at max pay. Im not worried about the PT, im in decent shape. Im mainly looking for a place thats warm, accepts some of my 11 years and a decent retirement. Thanks for the responces.....keep em comming.

Also when I called the Texas department, I talked to the HR department and they were not too sure about my time rolling over......is there a recruiting department I can call and if so, does anyone have the number? HR did not seem to know alot.
          Last edited by ball9shooter; 05-28-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

If you would like Information on Arkansas give me a pm.
            sigpic

Comment

PM sent...thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ball9shooter View Post
                Im going to call Texas tuesday. Heard some pretty good things about it there. Another important factor would be if they let me carry some of my 11 years toward my pay. Arizona was going to recognize 8 years so I would have been at max pay. Im not worried about the PT, im in decent shape. Im mainly looking for a place thats warm, accepts some of my 11 years and a decent retirement. Thanks for the responces.....keep em comming.

Also when I called the Texas department, I talked to the HR department and they were not too sure about my time rolling over......is there a recruiting department I can call and if so, does anyone have the number? HR did not seem to know alot.
                The recruitment department is dead. Cause of death - FY 2011, 2012, and 2013 budget cuts.

As far as your time rolling over, to roll retirement into your ERS pension, you'd have to be employed by a government entity that participates in ERS, the Texas Municipal Retirement System, the Texas County and District Retirement System, or the City of Austin Retirement System. Now ex-military can buy their military time for the pension. However, we are allowed to also participate in a 401(k). The State will let you enroll in it, but they don't contribute since they're already matching your ERS and LECOS contributions.

As far as prior LE service helping you with your paygrade, it won't. To start at CO-III status, you have to have 2 years ACTIVE duty military or a 4 year degree, otherwise you start off as a CO-I. You can use your prior service though for rank consideration. There was a guy recently that finished the academy and OJT and promoted to SGT because of prior service. You can also attempt to hire directly in as a SGT. I don't know anyone who has done it, but Iowa #1603 says a former IDOC CO went straight to TDCJ as a SGT.
                sigpic
                Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
                  The recruitment department is dead. Cause of death - FY 2011, 2012, and 2013 budget cuts.

As far as your time rolling over, to roll retirement into your ERS pension, you'd have to be employed by a government entity that participates in ERS, the Texas Municipal Retirement System, the Texas County and District Retirement System, or the City of Austin Retirement System. Now ex-military can buy their military time for the pension. However, we are allowed to also participate in a 401(k). The State will let you enroll in it, but they don't contribute since they're already matching your ERS and LECOS contributions.

As far as prior LE service helping you with your paygrade, it won't. To start at CO-III status, you have to have 2 years ACTIVE duty military or a 4 year degree, otherwise you start off as a CO-I. You can use your prior service though for rank consideration. There was a guy recently that finished the academy and OJT and promoted to SGT because of prior service. You can also attempt to hire directly in as a SGT. I don't know anyone who has done it, but Iowa #1603 says a former IDOC CO went straight to TDCJ as a SGT.
                  Well that kinda sucks. Its hard finding a place that will accept other states time served. I would not like to lose my 11 years already put in. Thanks for the info. Im still gonna submit my app......I like the retirement program Texas has. But still looking at other states. Still have not heard anything from Arkansas......

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
                    I don't know anyone who has done it, but Iowa #1603 says a former IDOC CO went straight to TDCJ as a SGT.
                    It surprised the crap out of me when he told me that........................But he worked for/with me for close to 20 yrs before he left and move to Texas----------I know he lives in San Antonio------& drives about 1.5 hrs to work.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6600 users online. 356 members and 6244 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X