Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOP with college degree?

Hey everyone,

I want to make it in the BOP for my career. I want to start as a correctional officer and work my way up the ladder. I do not want to do anything else. I am worried about not getting hired or responded to when I apply because I have 6 months unitll have to start paying back my student loans. Did anyone get in the BOP with a bachelors / no work experience? Did the process take long?

I have a bachelors in criminal justice and I am accepted into a CJ masters program.
    Should I complete my masters before applying or just apply. -- I am single and willing to move anywhere for a promotion. (Also comfortable on the fact that I work a lot of 16 hour shifts)
    I would rather hold off on the masters degree because I will be requiring more debt.

Thank you for your help.

I would be better if you had some work history but you will get hired..........................there are a few BOP officers on this forum but I would suggest joining www.prisonofficer.org where there are a lot of Feds.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Bop football View Post
      Hey everyone,

I want to make it in the BOP for my career. I want to start as a correctional officer and work my way up the ladder. I do not want to do anything else. I am worried about not getting hired or responded to when I apply because I have 6 months unitll have to start paying back my student loans. Did anyone get in the BOP with a bachelors / no work experience? Did the process take long?

I have a bachelors in criminal justice and I am accepted into a CJ masters program.
      Should I complete my masters before applying or just apply. -- I am single and willing to move anywhere for a promotion. (Also comfortable on the fact that I work a lot of 16 hour shifts)
      I would rather hold off on the masters degree because I will be requiring more debt.

Thank you for your help.
      Not me personally, but yes I do know someone who was hired by the BOP with absolutely no prison experience and a college degree. However that person did have work experience, just not in corrections.

My suggestion if you want to work for the BOP is to apply at the large FCCs (federal correctional complexes) and USPs. For example Coleman, Beaumont, Pollock, Victorville, McCreary, etc. The larger the facility, the more job opportunities that will open up in that area. Also be aware that we have several new facilities that will be coming online soon and they will be doing a lot of hiring for them. Berlin, Mendota, and Aliceville.

Now I know you are very optimistic about joining the BOP, but there are a lot of good agencies out there, and I suggest you keep your options open and don't focus solely on the BOP.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Thanks guys. This is comforting. I will check out prisonofficer and when the time comes apply to the larger facilites.

Comment

Good luck, any questions, shoot me a PM. I've worked for the BOP as a CO for nearly 2 years.
          What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I would look into facilities with large turnover like Brooklyn, Chicago, LA, etc. to get your foot in the door. You can look to get promoted from there if you choose to move around the country (at Gov't expense).
            I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
              I would look into facilities with large turnover like Brooklyn, Chicago, LA, etc. to get your foot in the door. You can look to get promoted from there if you choose to move around the country (at Gov't expense).
              Keep in mind those facilities have high turnover for a reason. Besides, I would rather not start at an MDC, especially in a high cost of living city since the pay at the BOP isn't that great.
              What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Whats wrong with Brooklyn? I just finished my medical there and hope to get an EOD date any time now.
                Well maybe the high cost of living in an urban setting with BOP pay could make it unattractive, especially if you are not from the area. But is there something else wrong?
                CBPO
                TO - 05/08 JFK
                EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                  Keep in mind those facilities have high turnover for a reason. Besides, I would rather not start at an MDC, especially in a high cost of living city since the pay at the BOP isn't that great.
                  I've seen staff at those facilities leave for other jobs, get fired, or get promoted. Yes cost of living is high, but if you shine at one of those facilities, you're likely to get noticed.

The OP was wanting a quick way into the BOP and I think those facilities would be the quickest.
                  I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Old thread, bring her back for information purposes.
                    Over the past year, out of our 20+ rookies, 80% had bachelors and experience. The rest had Military and work experience but we rarely hire. We have no turnover except for 1 that left for oil fields.
                    “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6123 users online. 342 members and 5781 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X