300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-service classes

Does anyone know of any good in-service classes. Not general police but specifically for corrections.

Also, any good books..

Thanx
    10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Are you speaking of annual trainings?

Comment

We always had a block on Gangs, on Blood Borne Pathogens , Major General Order updates,

Read this outloud to everyone at least once a year

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ning+of+a+duck
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-10-2011, 07:59 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yes sir, I am speaking of annual training or classes you can take to improve
        10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

"Games Criminals Play" I believe is the title of a book I read years back that was a great tool for me.
          The con who is responsible for the "Downing of a Duck" link above has also written books that show it form the other side

Comment

I attended two "Gang Awareness Seminars" a few years ago that were put on by the United Way Foundation of Sullivan County and several local law enforcement agencies. Might want to check and see if your area has something similar... not specific to Corrections, but VERY informative and helpful regardless.

I second FormerTeacher's suggestion - it's a great book.

Iowa - thanks for posting that... it's an eye-opener!
            Last edited by ladyExaura; 04-13-2011, 12:38 AM.
            Be the change you want to see in the world...

Comment

In a typical in-service training year (40 hrs mandatory) we will have a legal update, cpr/ first aid, officer survival, gangs and security threats, mental illness in corrections, defensive tactics, knife defense, PPCT tactics, and a day where we wear our gear and a helmet and run through several scenarios with actors. Some end up in a use of force while others you may be able to defuse verbally. We also do a day where we interact with the community in uniform; we can choose between an elementary school, rec center, animal shelter, or cleanup project. It is kinda nice to interact with the public and remind them of our existence ;0)

As part of our CIRT team, I also do an additional 40+ hours of annual firearms, cell entry, riot control, and less lethal weapons training.

Scenario based training that is specific to corrections has been very valuable to the average officer in my agency. We run them through all types of situations and dissect it all afterwards so everyone can improve the way they handle themselves when shizz gets 'real'.

Comment

Originally posted by FormerTeacher View Post
                "Games Criminals Play" I believe is the title of a book I read years back that was a great tool for me.
                The con who is responsible for the "Downing of a Duck" link above has also written books that show it form the other side
                Downing of a Duck is included in Games Criminals Play..............................
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I recommend reading Verbal Judo. It will help improve IPC skills. IPC skills are probably the most fundamental tool we have.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5709 users online. 362 members and 5347 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X