Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you support changing sentencing guidelines?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you support changing sentencing guidelines?

I have been reading a lot about efforts to change sentencing guidelines and reduce the prison population to not only save state budgets money, but also change the way we deal with non-violent offenders. I will readily admit that I don't know enough about the subject to decide either way, but I do know that at least with the BOP we are dealing with what seems like an increase in the prison population that is never ending. I just don't see how it is sustainable in the long run. What are your thoughts/opinions?
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

really I thought the prison population has been decreasing in recent years? But that is based on no first hand knowledge.
    CBPO
    TO - 05/08 JFK
    EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

The war on drugs as it is being waged is a falure. Non-violent addicts are serving longer sentences than violent sociopaths and sex offenders. Someone doing simple car break-ins deserves more jail time than a person who chooses to poison their own body. Now I know many addicts support their need with criminal activity and they should be prosecuted for those crimes (like theft, robbery, burgs, etc.) but the actual use of the dope does not warrant lengthy jail sentences in my opinion.

Comment

The sentencing guidelines do need to be reviewed, but with the opposite effect from the way things are now. For violent crimes, the defendant needs to receive more time than a petty thief. At the work release beside our institution, we have two inmates who admit to killing someone because of a disagreement over drugs.They're both scheduled to be released within the next year or two. Inside the max shack, we have numerous inmates who were arrested and convicted of stealing from construction sites after dark. I know that at least one of them is going to be incarcerated for most of the next decade. It seems that the courts here have started taking a hug-a-thug approach when it comes to violent offenders with drug problems.
        http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member306.png

Some people are like slinkies. They serve no real purpose in life, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs. -Unknown

Comment

My biggest issue with sentencing is that (in NY at least) sex offenders are allowed to "plead down" to a "lesser" charge. One inmate who was just released from my housing unit is a prime example. His DOCS file includes his confession which states that when he was 24yo he posed as a Dr, bound, raped and sodomized 6 women between the ages of 74 and 89. However, he was allowed to plead down to one count of Burglary 2nd (class C) and one count of Attempted Burglary 2nd (class D). He served 11 years out of a 6-18 year sentence and walked out of the gates WITHOUT HAVING TO REGISTER AS A SEX OFFENDER - EVER!! If you look him up, the only charges you will see are the Burgs - he is not required to register as an S/O. In my eyes, this allowance is a crime against every community he sets foot in. The worst part is, there are thousands more cases like this walking the same streets as our families...
          Be the change you want to see in the world...

Comment

There will always be a controversy as to how much time is too much, how much time is too little.

Plea Bargaining has it valid uses, and often gets a person in prison where should they go to trial there is always a chance that they will get found not guilty. It is so much cheaper in the long run & makes the job load in the prosecutor's office lighter.

LIcoastie-----------------almost every state is building prisons and the BOP is ALWAYS building. BOP has a mandatory sentencing with no parole-----once you are in you stay there until your sentence is expired.

Kansan

One of the big problems is that no elected representative wants to appear to be "soft on crime". That is a death sentence at re-election time. Getting sentencing reform through the system is set for failure when you have incidents like what ladyExaura describe.

If you have any questions give Michael Dukakis a call
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Horton
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

With the state budget battles, and national budget battles, we will see what happens. I think 3 strike rules may disappear. Also a new form of federal parole may turn up. I imagine that a lot more offenders with short sentences may be placed in community corrections. I'm not suggesting that people not be punished for their crimes, I'm just thinking about the future of corrections.
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6395 users online. 368 members and 6027 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X