300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imamates taking matter into thier own hands

Please for give me if this question was already answered. I just couldn't find it when I searched.

I was watching "Lock Up" the other night and they did a story on an inmate that tried to kill another inmate because he was in for an alleged sex crime.

My question is, As a correctional officer, do you sometimes feel that justice has been served when an inmate takes matters in their own hands? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not asking if you condone attempted murder. But does it bother you that when someone is in there for molesting a child or raping a women?

I ask this because I'm getting in to the field and I just wanted insight on how to deal with situations like this professionally.

Thanks for the insight.
    Last edited by vawannabe722; 03-21-2011, 06:34 PM.
    A.D.D is a very serious problem for todaysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Originally posted by vawannabe722 View Post
    Please for give me if this question was already answered. I just couldn't find it when I searched.

I was watching "Lock Up" the other night and they did a story on an inmate that tried to kill another inmate because he was in for an alleged sex crime.

My question is, As a correctional officer, do you sometimes feel that justice has been served when an inmate takes matters in their own hands? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not asking if you condone attempted murder. But does it bother you that when someone is in there for molesting a child or rapping a women.

I ask this because I'm getting in to the field and I just wanted insight on how to deal with situations like this professionally.

Thanks for the insight.
    The best thing to do is to try and not know what they did. And regardless of you personal feelings, you have a professional obligation to protect inmates.
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

My question is, As a correctional officer, do you sometimes feel that justice has been served when an inmate takes matters in their own hands? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not asking if you condone attempted murder. But does it bother you that when someone is in there for molesting a child or rapping a women.

Thanks for the insight.
      As long as his beat was fresh, and his rhymes weren't whack I don't see a problem!

Comment

Thanks for the insight.
        I agree with Texas...DO NOT get into reading case files on the inmates in your charge. Not only is it depressing...it will effect your head to a point where "fair, firm and consistent" won't matter to you anymore. It's one thing to know that inmate Smith is in for child abuse...but when you read the case file and read the details, you get a whole different perspective on inmate Smiith, and I guarantee you will react to him/her differently. Just treat every inmate as an inmate no matter what they are in for, or what their security level they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio5-0 View Post
          As long as his beat was fresh, and his rhymes weren't whack I don't see a problem!
          lol! Sorry for the typo.
          A.D.D is a very serious problem for todaysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies. So simple but makes a lot of sense. Take care and be safe!

Comment

My question is, As a correctional officer, do you sometimes feel that justice has been served when an inmate takes matters in their own hands? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not asking if you condone attempted murder. But does it bother you that when someone is in there for molesting a child or raping a women.

Thanks for the insight.

The fact of the matter is being placed in prison IS the punishment that has been prescribed by the court system.

Any punishment beyond that is excessive----------------------------kind of like on the streets you can use force to make an arrest, but the moment the arrestee gives up, anything else is excessive.

Once the inmate is in your care----YOU are responsible for his/her safety.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My question is, As a correctional officer, do you sometimes feel that justice has been served when an inmate takes matters in their own hands? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not asking if you condone attempted murder. But does it bother you that when someone is in there for molesting a child or raping a women?

Thanks for the insight.
                I agree 100% with what everybody has said so far. As a correctional officer, our job is to maintain the safety, security, and control of an institution for fellow staff AND offenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio5-0 View Post
                  That is the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time... time to clean the Dr Pepper off the screen!
                  sigpic
                  Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Last edited by IMDOC!; 06-09-2011, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Don't let your feelings get in the way of your job, or you won't have one. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDOC! View Post
                        Hmmmm, no offense to the room but it seems like everybody in here is taking the easy way out. The original question was do you "feel" that justice was served, not do you condone or encourage it. I say yes, sure, justice was served. i hate the majority of inmates locked up. Can't stand them. And it's easy to say treat them all equally and ignore what they are there for, good luck. Where I differ in opinion is the so-called inmate hierarchy. I can't stand any of them. Because you sell crack to pregnant moms who will have messed up kids doesn't make you better in my book than a rapist. They all suck. Period.
                        Now having said this I do not outwardly condone unequal treatment of inmates but that doesn't change the way I "FEEL."
                        ...and the inmates HATE the officers...so what? With this kind of attitude, I can almost guarantee you're headed for a crash. If the administration doesn't figure it out, the inmates will. No one here is taking "the easy way out"...it's much more difficult to keep your feelings inside and deal with the inmates on a level, non-biased playing field. I don't know how long you've been in Corrections... I only hope you can figure out the "game" before it eats you up. Talking from experience!

Comment

i dont have as much time on as some the folks here but i do work a housing unit. heres my take , its never ok for an inmate to mete out justice, if they wanted to do that they should have made different career choices.care, custody, and control, if they can deliver their brand of justice ive gotten weak and am unable to do my joib.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDOC! View Post
                            Hmmmm, no offense to the room but it seems like everybody in here is taking the easy way out. The original question was do you "feel" that justice was served, not do you condone or encourage it. I say yes, sure, justice was served. i hate the majority of inmates locked up. Can't stand them. And it's easy to say treat them all equally and ignore what they are there for, good luck. Where I differ in opinion is the so-called inmate hierarchy. I can't stand any of them. Because you sell crack to pregnant moms who will have messed up kids doesn't make you better in my book than a rapist. They all suck. Period.
                            Now having said this I do not outwardly condone unequal treatment of inmates but that doesn't change the way I "FEEL."
                            To begin with the OP also asked for insight on how to deal with situations like this PROFESSIONALLY. That is what we were doing.

I lost all "feelings" for the inmates long ago. I do my job ---------the job I am paid to do & could really care less about the individual idiots that are in my care. It really is easy to treat them all equally-------it’s harder if you know the history, but not impossible.

Do I “like” the guy who killed his wife, 3 kids & the two neighbor kids who were on a sleep over…..then tried to kill himself ( but screwed up)----no, but when he tried AGAIN to kill himself, I was there in the cell holding him up against the bed sheet while others cut him down.

Again, once they are in our care and custody. Therefore I am obligated to protect that person, just the same as a police officer is obligated to protect the citizen on the street----if they are attacked, it is my job to repel the attacker.
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

No. In fact I feel that their conviction and the fact that they are in prison is justice served. I personally have no love for the drug dealers selling crack to our kids, the financiers who stole billions from our retirements, the illegal aliens who were smuggling guns and drugs, etc. However No one, not even chomos, deserves to be brutalized, tortured, or murdered in prison. A lot of them at my facility PC and then spend all their time in the SHU.

Thanks for the insight.
                              Professionally, do your job. I have read stories in the past about officers who let other inmates know that a certain inmate was a child molester, resulting in that inmate getting killed. That officer not only lost their job, but faced charges as well. Don't allow your personal feelings to get you caught up.
                              What is Perseverance?
                              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3632 users online. 236 members and 3396 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X