Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the NYS Corrections Academy still running

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is the NYS Corrections Academy still running

    I completed all the processes. Is the NYS Corrections Academy still running?

  • #2
    I believe the academy is not currently scheduled to run any correction officer trainee classes. This may change after the state's budget is passed, however, it sounds like Governor Cuomo plans on closing some more facilities. If that happens, the state will have to re-assign the officers currently working in those facilities to fill open positions in the facilities that will remain open. The state will not have another correction officer trainee class until they fill the current open positions with officers that are already on the job at a facility scheduled to close. Of course this is all speculation as of right now and I could be totally wrong. I hope I am wrong, as I am also currently in the hiring process to become a CO. The state did the exact same thing a couple of years ago and went about a year without running any academy classes. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened again.

    Comment


    • #3
      For what it's worth. Rumor says that last academy class that graduated was laid off. So, maybe someone on here has more info. on that.
      Please note: Any assessment, assumption, attitude, conclusion, conjecture, feeling, guess', hypothesis, idea, inference, notion, sentiment, speculation, surmise', theory, thought or viewpoint that I put down is STRICTLY MINE! Remember that they do not represent the State of New York at any time!! At any time that NYS and I have the same viewpoints; they are strictly coincidental!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hack4NYS View Post
        For what it's worth. Rumor says that last academy class that graduated was laid off. So, maybe someone on here has more info. on that.
        Well, that's certainly not true. I work with 12 COs from the last class. I graduated in the 2nd to last class.

        Comment


        • #5
          lol the rumor mill runs overtime generating bs to scare all the newjacks

          Comment


          • #6
            LOL....redstoy hits it on the nose. (Didn't mean to scare anyone, seeing as how my brother is a 6-month old Baby CO.)
            Please note: Any assessment, assumption, attitude, conclusion, conjecture, feeling, guess', hypothesis, idea, inference, notion, sentiment, speculation, surmise', theory, thought or viewpoint that I put down is STRICTLY MINE! Remember that they do not represent the State of New York at any time!! At any time that NYS and I have the same viewpoints; they are strictly coincidental!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              I heard today that there is an academy scheduled to start in two weeks... Anyone else hear that?
              The views expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

              Comment


              • #8
                >>........
                Last edited by JusticeForAll; 02-10-2011, 02:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I talked to my OJT TO about all this yesterday. He said "your job is safe" ( being I 've been a co for eight months now) . He said , with 50 to 85 offices leaving monthly, we have a shortage. They'd have to close quite a few facilities to make up for that amount leaving. ( AND RELEASE MANY BAD GUYS ) That can't happen. The Academy will begin when the budget is in place ( April ) The Academy would have to run full time just to make up for the amount quiting , not to mention closures. With that said,,,,,,,,keep your day job, the call will come. And by the way, the job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IS WORTH THE WAIT.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by HarleyJoe View Post
                    I talked to my OJT TO about all this yesterday. He said "your job is safe" ( being I 've been a co for eight months now) . He said , with 50 to 85 offices leaving monthly, we have a shortage. They'd have to close quite a few facilities to make up for that amount leaving. ( AND RELEASE MANY BAD GUYS ) That can't happen. The Academy will begin when the budget is in place ( April ) The Academy would have to run full time just to make up for the amount quiting , not to mention closures. With that said,,,,,,,,keep your day job, the call will come. And by the way, the job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IS WORTH THE WAIT.
                    Here is the analysis of the Executive Budget, it begins with a summary of the spending plan. It then examines an explanation of proposed changes that affect receipts and provides for Senate Issues in Focus. Finally, it provides a summary of the Executive's Article VII language bills submitted as part of the Executive Budget. The report provides an analysis of the appropriations recommended this year and an analysis of the Governor's recommendations.

                    Read page 54 of the ACTUAL document.

                    This was posted earlier in the thread by MSICF. The fact is that the academy is a target at this time. Not layoffs, but future hires. The dept. will fill the gaps of the retiring officers through overtime. Plenty of Officers are O.T. hounds so filling posts is not an issue.
                    Last edited by BSOdeputy; 02-24-2011, 07:20 AM.
                    The views expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by HarleyJoe View Post
                      I talked to my OJT TO about all this yesterday. He said "your job is safe" ( being I 've been a co for eight months now) . He said , with 50 to 85 offices leaving monthly, we have a shortage.
                      Actually CO wise it's more like 40-50 that leave by retirements. Not sure how many quit or get fired.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JusticeForAll View Post
                        Actually CO wise it's more like 40-50 that leave by retirements. Not sure how many quit or get fired.
                        These numbers are wrong.
                        Actual #'s are:
                        2010 Average 64 per month. Low was 47 (May 2010) High was 83 (April 2010)
                        2009 Average 67 per month. Low was 52, (Jan. 2009) High was 91 (April 2009)
                        2008 Average 64 per month. Low was 37 (March 2008) High was 82 (May 2008)
                        2007 Average 74 per month. Low was 41 (Oct. 2007) High was 110 (July 2007)

                        Jan. 2011 58 retired. Numbers so far for Feb. 2011 might break a record.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MSICF View Post
                          These numbers are wrong.
                          Actual #'s are:
                          2010 Average 64 per month. Low was 47 (May 2010) High was 83 (April 2010)
                          2009 Average 67 per month. Low was 52, (Jan. 2009) High was 91 (April 2009)
                          2008 Average 64 per month. Low was 37 (March 2008) High was 82 (May 2008)
                          2007 Average 74 per month. Low was 41 (Oct. 2007) High was 110 (July 2007)

                          Jan. 2011 58 retired. Numbers so far for Feb. 2011 might break a record.
                          Thanks for confirming my 40-50 per month. That's alot closer than the 50-85 that was previously stated.

                          Are your numbers counting Sgts, deaths, fired, and people who quit? I've been counting the lists they put out every month stating who retired, very seldom is there over 50 CO's that retire per month.

                          Needless to say we are coming into the big hire years so there should be more people retiring per month.
                          Last edited by JusticeForAll; 02-26-2011, 06:25 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JusticeForAll View Post
                            Thanks for confirming my 40-50 per month. That's alot closer than the 50-85 that was previously stated.

                            Are your numbers counting Sgts, deaths, fired, and people who quit? I've been counting the lists they put out every month stating who retired, very seldom is there over 50 CO's that retire per month.

                            Needless to say we are coming into the big hire years so there should be more people retiring per month.
                            I'm not sure how it confirms your numbers.
                            2010 (51, 57, 66, 83, 47, 81, 70, 62, 54, 75, 50, 73)
                            2009 (52, 55, 74, 91, 74, 82, 60, 63, 71, 54, 58, 65)
                            2008 (62, 50, 37, 80, 82, 73, 72, 65, 62, 75, 51, 52)
                            2007 (81, 64, 48, 104, 63, 94, 110, 87, 59, 41, 77, 51)

                            Those numbers are retirees; both Sgts. & COs.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MSICF View Post
                              I'm not sure how it confirms your numbers.
                              2010 (51, 57, 66, 83, 47, 81, 70, 62, 54, 75, 50, 73)
                              2009 (52, 55, 74, 91, 74, 82, 60, 63, 71, 54, 58, 65)
                              2008 (62, 50, 37, 80, 82, 73, 72, 65, 62, 75, 51, 52)
                              2007 (81, 64, 48, 104, 63, 94, 110, 87, 59, 41, 77, 51)

                              Those numbers are retirees; both Sgts. & COs.
                              lol
                              The views expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8250 users online. 254 members and 7996 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X