Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay017
    commented on 's reply
    Just to expand on the comment above because although true, also understand that if there is a legitimate reason(child care, family emergency, etc.) that you can provide documentation for (not always required but certainly helps your case) then by all means the people that matter will understand. However, if it’s just because you don’t want to then it’s kind of hard to look down the line at other officers and expect them to respect that. To answer your second part “what happens”...although the SIA of your institution (or captain depending on the structure) will receive a memo stating you refused it ultimately rests in their hands if any action is taken. As such, if there is supporting documentation or a legitimate reason then nothing really ever happens. If it’s continuous and for no good reason then corrective action can be taken. But the more damaging effect is often seen in the form of less consideration for promotions/training opportunities.

• JamoStu
    commented on 's reply
    In your rookie year I’d highly suggest you don’t and even after I’m pretty sure it’s frowned upon. The admin positions like counselors and case workers decline augments all the time unfortunately but COs turning down mandates not so much.

• dangerr101
    replied
    If you get mandated to stay for OT can you say no? What happens?

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    commented on 's reply
    We had around a 6 Billion yearly budget Trump administration upped it to around 9 billion. Then the pandemic and our inmate population dropped from around 210,000 (in BOP facilities this excluded ICE and Contract facilities) to now around 140,000 to 150,000 so the cuts make sense.

The biggest expense with BOP is aging inmate care (as well as a few injured during arrest or at some point during incarceration. I've seen a few within my USP career) But with numbers getting down that will go down.

For that BOP use to spend around 1 Billion on inmate health care alone.

I would look for BOP to close some FCIs and consolidate inmate populations. It doesn't make sense to have a facility half open and vacent bed space like they did at some hard to hire places the last few years. And with inmate population down now across the board they could. plug inmates from half full instituions into those facilities.
    Last edited by in625shooter; 07-11-2021, 05:04 PM.

• Signal108M
    replied
    2022 budget request: reduction of 3.5% from 2021, although number of correctional officer positions, support staff, and overall number of positions are unchanged.

https://www.justice.gov/jmd/page/file/1398986/download
    Last edited by Signal108M; 07-10-2021, 07:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Signal108M
    replied
    Per HR this week at my complex: no more new employee orientation classes until October. They’re still processing viable applicants though.

Leave a comment:

• hudsoncounty91
    commented on 's reply
    I second this question. I was told that I'll be brought on sometime after October. I asked if October is the specific month that they'll start onboarding and they told me it may or may not be. I'm thinking it could honestly be any time from October and moving forward. Best of luck with everything.

• dangerr101
    replied
    Is bop still hiring or brining people on before October 1st?

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    commented on 's reply
    Youngstar, in my 20 years I have seen the opposite. BOP Directors and RDs stayed intact Like BOP was in a realm nobody wanted or needed to touch.

There has been a call to have the BOP Director get confirmed like every other Director of other Federal LE agencies which sounds good but thats where you run into the issues you mentuon. The worker bees are really at the whim of a political direction Don't get me wring bit a fan of the last few Directors but more of ineptness or arrogance than oilitical reasons.

We shall see

• Yungstar713
    commented on 's reply
    We shall see how this goes. Im not suprised honestly since ive been in the agency it seems like when a new administration comes in office they want to clean house from the last.

• Yungstar713
    commented on 's reply
    I work at a bop joint in California and for us its pay. Our state CO’s and other agencies in the state pay so much more then bop. Other regions from what i hear is the locations of alot of prisons aren’t desirable.

• Winter_Patriot
    commented on 's reply
    The hiring process isn't as efficient as it could be in my personal experience. I applied to a local FDC. HR said that they were hiring and that I was on the best qualified list. They said they'd be inviting me to an interview in about two weeks. I followed up a couple times and kept getting told the same thing. Eventually I moved onto another agency. When I did hear back from BOP, it was about five months after I'd applied and I'd already accepted a different job.

• hopefulfedle
    replied
    What are some ways that you all think the BOP can implement/change/etc to increase staffing levels?

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    replied
    Of interest

https://apnews.com/article/michael-c...2o5NhzuAegoR8c
    Last edited by in625shooter; 06-24-2021, 06:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Yungstar713
    commented on 's reply
    Exactly the union in our region put out a letter they wrote to congress about it. So we shall see come oct 1st.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4207 users online. 285 members and 3922 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X