Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida_Man
    replied
    Thank you all for giving me some clarity. I have never worked in corrections or have been inside a prison so I was worried about the training I would receive.

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    commented on 's reply
    The 2 weeks is called Institution Familiarization or IF Mostbof first AM is signing stacks ofnpaoerwork and getting a slew of Health Insurance options Then exec staff will come d***lenyku with their lack of brilliance .

Then you will get an overview on different BOP missions and your institution specific stuff Other departments will go through stuff and as for ours we have about 3 days of custody specific things.

We follow with a week if OJT where you shadow staff on a post sort of getting your feet wet. The by week 4 your on your own If your at a USP you will be with a 2nd Officer which is better than 20 years ago when at USPs no gas you just got thrown to the wolves literally.

If your at a FCI or low your co workers stories will be the worst thing. You will see someone that is solid so just sort of takes advice from those types. You will also see some that you wouldn't hire to scoop up dog poo, stay away from those idiots.

And for the love of God dont boast about any Master Jedi status you might have or how the state did it or you will become "That Rookie"

• Iowa #1603
    commented on 's reply
    After 40 some yrs in the profession (most of it in State Corrections) I think the best advice I received about surviving in the Correctional environment is to spend your probation period watching and listening TWICE as much as speaking.

Watch everything, listen to everyone ..................then pick a couple or three of the officers you like the way they work and try to get them to mentor you. If the way they do their jobs works....emulate them and call them when you need advice

Also watch and listen to the others.......see what they do that is "wrong" or that doesn't work well and make sure you don't act that way

• Iowa #1603
    commented on 's reply
    Thousands of BOP staff members go home to their families each night. In the general view there are very few injuries on the job in ANY correctional environment. The BOP is no better or worse than any other agency

• Wentwestco
    replied
    The BOP seems to hold that the important points of the job are gotten on the job. You will likely have access to senior officers for guidance. Remember, call another officer if you have questions, not the Lt.. Frankly, over the years I sort of subscribe to this theory. Seems crazy but I works!

Leave a comment:

• JZ71LT
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds about right. 2 weeks of power points and then your on a post. I'm over 9 months in and no word on a FLETC date.

• Florida_Man
    replied
    Can anybody explain to me what type of training we would receive as new hires? What worries me is that state and county correction jobs go through extensive training for 3-4 months and at BOP from what I’ve heard you get thrown out to the wolves. I’ve been told when you start you go through a 2 week orientation and don’t go to FLETC until 8-9 months on the job. Eventually when you go to FLETC, it’s only 3 weeks long! I just want to get home to my family safe and want to know that I can rely on my training when things go south. I know there is no such thing as a safe law enforcement job but it’s a concern of mine and would like some clarity.

Leave a comment:

• DOTfed20
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you sir

• Bowhunter2116
    replied
    Originally posted by DOTfed20 View Post
    I understand normally new CO’s start out as GL5, but recently I have been hearing of people getting hire on as 6 or even 7.

anyone hear the same?

Does Anyone know how difficult it is to receive pay retention?
    If you have prior Leo experience you can come on as a 6 or 7. Prior jobs, education, resume all matter. I came back as a 7 but I was with the bureau before. A few people at my joint also started as 7s but all were former Leo either state or feds. The newest class is all 5s.

Leave a comment:

• DOTfed20
    replied
    I understand normally new CO’s start out as GL5, but recently I have been hearing of people getting hire on as 6 or even 7.

anyone hear the same?

Does Anyone know how difficult it is to receive pay retention?

Leave a comment:

• crap shoot
    commented on 's reply
    I had a start date at Colman but took another position. I just still get emails.

• Rmodel1965
    commented on 's reply
    Might not have openings. But location b does and is actively recruiting. You can try and wait or try and get in now. Seniority is everything the longer you're in

• Tjwright95
    commented on 's reply
    Will do! Thank you!

• DOTfed20
    commented on 's reply
    Fury1508, thank you for the heads up, it appears that I missed the last roster they pulled as well, I BQ and was referred, but i changed my location from MDC San Diego to FCC Coleman.

• DOTfed20
    commented on 's reply
    Florida_Man, did you receive the offer immediately after the interview or did HR call/email a couple weeks later?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6941 users online. 411 members and 6530 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X