Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChrisQuirolo
    commented on 's reply
    I have heard this too, but I haven't come across anything in writing yet.
    But it's a good idea for staff retention!
    Last edited by ChrisQuirolo; Today, 08:49 PM. Reason: edit

• bopstaff15
    replied
    I agree there is to many exceptions to leosa and when your agency such as the BOP has no policy on it and simply states there staff are covered under leosa but as a agency don't like the law makes it very difficult on there staff.

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    commented on 's reply
    My silly phone changes some things even after I correct it. Like an old girlfriend or something

• westside popo
    replied
    The last time I read the LEOSA law it said, you MAY carry and if AUTHORIZED by the agency to carry firearms. The way I interpret it is, you can legally carry but your employer may have your job if you do so on your credentials alone, without their approval.

As far as I'm concerned you can carry and I'm not going to call your warden to see if can or cannot. You're even covered under Georgia's law. But I can understand the frustrations with it all. I worked as a CO in Florida in the past. Florida's law, at that time, basically said we could carry if the department allowed it. Of course they said no too.

I like the idea of LEOSA but there's just to many exceptions to the law for my comfort. There appears to be better protection or exemptions under the licensed carry laws in the variuos states with reciprocal agreements.

Leave a comment:

• westside popo
    commented on 's reply
    Proof read please!

• in625shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by bopstaff15 View Post
    The problem with the BOP is that if you are on the scene of a incident and it gets out in the news you were armed and worked for the BOP and did not intervene the BOP would dis own you. If you did get involved the BOP would dis own you. Then if you did get involved and cleared of any wrong doing the BOP would have its own internal investigation and even though you cleared of any street charges the BOP would find you guilty during there internal investigation of something and crucify you. So if you work for the BOP it is dam if you do and dam if you don't sitution. That is why you should have professional liability insurance. To the BOP all they care about is if you make them look bad in public. I have seen staff get in trouble off duty many time and either the charges are dropped or they have been found not guilty but the BOP conduct there own internal investigation and find the staff guilty punish them.
    ​​​​​
    BOPstaff, respectfully your way of base. I've been in BOP for 20 years and was a LT and here is my experience. First under LEOSA as has been stated is off duty. As long as one acts within the bbn law they arw fine As far as a SIS or OIA there is nothing BOP can or would do if one was within the law and not criminally charged.

If one gets hooked up then of course you report bbn I but BOP wouldn't even start a case until the smoke cleard from the civilian court

As far as BOP will make an example of you if you. You are a private citizen so if you dont act you contract. (your a coward in my opinion)

If you do and something goes south again people need to realize there are no guarentees in life and anyone is responsible for every round and what actions you take so make sure you know the law and what YOU can LEGALLY do.

Dumb Staff running their mouth and saying dumb things don't carry over to SIS or OIA cases. The only discipline I have ever heard about and Itraveled a lit ad a SORT trainer and have seen a lot of BOP Attornies and Exec staff is there is zero cases of staff getting in trouble. In fact when LEOSA was first implemented some places were called due to confusion by local LE. One such case the BOP emoyeed was initially charged with the firearm (Which BOP and the US Attorney got involved and educated the Local PD and Prosecutors Office had to drop that charge) But what didnt get dropped was when the staff member resisted LE, was tazed and then assaulted the LE. BOP said you cant charge him for the gun but we don't condone the other behaivso.

That was one extreme case that happened at the get go around 2005. I have heard no factual issues other than some fear mo hering by some. Wether its tf his case getting regurgitated or the general negativity of some staff to never see the light.

BOP has some uneducated idiots as far a LEOsA and even their own internal policy on what we do and why. Tou just can't buy into it.

Leave a comment:

• bopstaff15
    replied
    The problem with the BOP is that if you are on the scene of a incident and it gets out in the news you were armed and worked for the BOP and did not intervene the BOP would dis own you. If you did get involved the BOP would dis own you. Then if you did get involved and cleared of any wrong doing the BOP would have its own internal investigation and even though you cleared of any street charges the BOP would find you guilty during there internal investigation of something and crucify you. So if you work for the BOP it is dam if you do and dam if you don't sitution. That is why you should have professional liability insurance. To the BOP all they care about is if you make them look bad in public. I have seen staff get in trouble off duty many time and either the charges are dropped or they have been found not guilty but the BOP conduct there own internal investigation and find the staff guilty punish them.
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by LevelHeaded View Post
    Has anyone heard the rumor about COs getting automatic 8s, competing for 9s and LTs getting automatic 12s at stand alone USPs and Complexes? This rumor has been going around my joint for a little while now just wanted to see if it’s hit other sides of the country.
    This gets regurgitated every so many years. back in 2002 or 2003 there was an idea gaining movement from USP Wardens to automatically give staff at USPs their GS 8 automatically . Now the Dirwctor at the time was WAY to tight to spend money (he is one of the reasons BOP is in the problem they are) So that idea dropped off the radar.

The Warden at Leavenworth was old school realizing USP staff deal with more than low and medium facilities so on an 8 board for 5 spots he promoted everyone that BQd which was like 30 some staff. Region and Central Office went crazy and he told the. to pound sand it's his joint. Good news for them but bad thing they didnt have n 8 board for years. Because of that and then fact in 2005 Leavenworth ws down graded to a medium so staff levels were reduced.

They are just "mentioning" the automatic promotions. At one time in the late 1980s and early 1990s it did happen but they quit at some point around 1992ish

So again stay in BOP or any agency and stuff xones back up time to time. Doubt it gains traction though

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    commented on 's reply
    It's not that BOP as an agency doesn't allow off duty carry (some exec that said something wrong by law is ran with as BOP said when it was one village idiot)
    A couple exec staff that are idiots try and say it. Unions have proven them most time and time again. That's the problem with BOP they dont even know what the law or t HK eir own policy is. That's why the Union beats them in so many cases.

• LevelHeaded
    replied
    Has anyone heard the rumor about COs getting automatic 8s, competing for 9s and LTs getting automatic 12s at stand alone USPs and Complexes? This rumor has been going around my joint for a little while now just wanted to see if it’s hit other sides of the country.

Leave a comment:

• LevelHeaded
    commented on 's reply
    Lol oh they’re not all that bad...

• Keyturner
    replied
    If you've worked for the BOP and seen some of the staff, you know why bop doesn't authorize off duty carry.

Leave a comment:

• Keyturner
    replied
    There really should be no debate here. LEOSA authorizes BOP staff to carry off duty because they are considered law enforcement officers. BOP, as an agency, does not authorize off duty carry. But they have no say if you want to carry off duty under LEOSA.

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by MrAce View Post
    What is all this debate about? All LEOSA does it allow off duty Law Enforcement Officers to carry there personal firearm over State Lines so long as it’s concealed. It has nothing to do with your job or weather you can arrest someone off duty blah blah blah. What you do off duty is your own business.

Most LEOs have a State Pistol permit too, Idk why you wouldn’t get one... I’ve had my State Permit since the second I turned 21. That clears up any issues, the State Permit allows you to OPEN CARRY which LEOSA does not (I don’t open carry outside my job).

Also when it comes to what you’ll you do in “an active shooter situation?” Most States allow Citizens arrest for Felony’s in progress... so there ya go you are technically considered a cop if you detain them along with anyone else...

I do not work for BOP but I don’t understand what the debate is about...
    It's not so much a debate its that a lot of Exec staff (and others) are either completely freaking dumb or arw personally aga iij nst LEOSA so they are of course going to throw up smoke screens to the masses. They get by with it because (and it to be a negative thingve nelly) Runors and hearsay seem to run the BOP. A lot of bad info put out by AWs or Wardens are treated as the gospel and masses run with I or twist it themselves. All of this of course could be displaced if people would simply READ the law, Program Statements and other policy themselves rather than take it as Word from the village idiots.

My suggestion for those staff that have the exec staff is call the BOP Attorney at Glynco. Everytime I get my Lead firearms recertifiication they (the actual Attorney) gives a great class on LEOSA. He even talks about what firearms he likes to carry. They can correct a lit if supervisors are giving that much blatantly wrong info. But it shouldn't be anything more than a sporadic problem these days

Stay safe and educate stupid when you see it

Leave a comment:

• in625shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by bopstaff15 View Post
    in625shooter I have heard exec staff say many times the BOP does not authorize off duty carry. When in training in Denver I have heard BOP legal staff state the BOP does not authorize off duty carry that leosa is what allows us to off duty carry that is the law and separate from the BOP and that the BOP does not authorize off duty carry but due to the law there is nothing the BOP can do to staff for carrying off duty. As far as the separate leosa id the BOP pushed back when the BOP was told we were covered under leosa all that was is a plot to keep staff from carrying off duty because each institution only received like 20 of the id's to hand out to staff . Luckily the union took care of that pretty quick as it was outside of leosa which did not state that you needed a separate id to carry concealed and at the time and leosa did not state that the id had to state you was a law enforcement officer at that time. Not until leosa was amended did the law state your id had to state law enforcement officer on it. I believe that was around 2013 when leosa was amended which states the id had to state the person was a law enforcement officer. I never stated that BOP staff are required to off duty carry or did I state BOP staff was not covered under leosa nor did I stated the BOP claims that staff are not covered by leosa.
    I get it but just because they say it doesn't mean its correct. LEOSA is the law and a link is on Sallyport so they have no justification for even saying that. Lots of staff arw completely uneducated on it and it's been 15 years. Just try to educate them and show them the Attourney General Memo that has BOP, ATF Marshals and FBI directing the directors to implement it.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8173 users online. 450 members and 7723 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X