300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MP_BLANKOE View Post
    Congrats! I still have not heard anything from Victorville, though you did process with them before I did. I am still dealing with the devils in my head about taking the BOP CO job if offered to me, or holding out for other jobs I have pending. Just seems that the BOP is moving along far faster than some of the other federal agencies. Maybe I can get some of you guys valuable opinions, along with experiences. I have applied and been referred with the VA Police in Palo Alto starting almost 54,000yr, as well as the U.S. Mint Police in Colorado with somewhat the same salary, and lastly with the Amtrak Police in Oakland with an unknown start salary. What do you guys think?
    If you have visions of a progressive LE Agency (kicking in doors etc) anywhere in the FED's is NOT it. Even the US Marshals service utilize a lot of multi mostly local agencies with only a couple DUSM's in there in a lot of the cases.

So if you are wanting anything in the FED's be prepared that all of the agencies are somewhat paper tigers, and exagerated from what they do in reality. That being said the FED's are not a bad career choice and have a great retirement etc just some a better retirement than others. I would look for ones on the FED LE (6C) retirement.

Anything DOD and VA I would avoid like the plague. Those two are more suited for folks retired from somewhere and I can not speak for the VA but DOD treats their civilians horrible and are about as inept in the leadership department than any other these days as far as on the civilian side.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post
      If you have visions of a progressive LE Agency (kicking in doors etc) anywhere in the FED's is NOT it. Even the US Marshals service utilize a lot of multi mostly local agencies with only a couple DUSM's in there in a lot of the cases.

So if you are wanting anything in the FED's be prepared that all of the agencies are somewhat paper tigers, and exagerated from what they do in reality. That being said the FED's are not a bad career choice and have a great retirement etc just some a better retirement than others. I would look for ones on the FED LE (6C) retirement.

Anything DOD and VA I would avoid like the plague. Those two are more suited for folks retired from somewhere and I can not speak for the VA but DOD treats their civilians horrible and are about as inept in the leadership department than any other these days as far as on the civilian side.
      I totally get you, and understand what you guys are saying. I am not necessarily looking for the kick-the-doors in kinda job, did enough of that in Baghdad. I know I am surely looking for a LE job by title, with the best pay, the least stress possible, but LE none the less. Location is also a key factor for me, but many of theses jobs allow my foot in the door for later possible transfers. Victorville would be great for me as far as location, and its LE, but the others pay a bit more but have the posibility of tranfers later. Ah, we will take it as it comes, one step at a time. I appreciate everyones input.

Comment

• Hello everyone, I was wondering which company offers the best quality in regards to uniforms?

Comment

• Originally posted by toofa View Post
          Hello everyone, I was wondering which company offers the best quality in regards to uniforms?
          I have had great results/service and quality from suburban which is now called Unitec so thats what I recommend. Others swear by BOPmeyers and a couple have used Galls.

I would recommend buying a couple from each one and see which one you like. Also order both the cotton/poly blend button up and a polo or two. Again personal preference but the button up is way more comfortable to me. But to each their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by MP_BLANKOE View Post
            I totally get you, and understand what you guys are saying. I am not necessarily looking for the kick-the-doors in kinda job, did enough of that in Baghdad. I know I am surely looking for a LE job by title, with the best pay, the least stress possible, but LE none the less. Location is also a key factor for me, but many of theses jobs allow my foot in the door for later possible transfers. Victorville would be great for me as far as location, and its LE, but the others pay a bit more but have the posibility of tranfers later. Ah, we will take it as it comes, one step at a time. I appreciate everyones input.

Come to Victorville, pay won't be a concern here. I made 60k my first year doing OT, and most of it was mandatory. If you're looking to "kick in doors" our Pen has a reputation of always rockin and rollin.

Comment

I have had great results/service and quality from suburban which is now called Unitec so thats what I recommend. Others swear by BOPmeyers and a couple have used Galls.

I would recommend buying a couple from each one and see which one you like. Also order both the cotton/poly blend button up and a polo or two. Again personal preference but the button up is way more comfortable to me. But to each their own.
              Thanks for the information!! I was given access to Galls and Bopmeyers to order gear. I may just order a set from them to have something for when i start OTJ training.

What do you folks suggest as a comfortable duty boot?
              I had picked out a great set form Cabela's as we have a store remotely close to where i live. However, BOP said that they will only pay for boots from the Galls Site. Now i am at a loss, i need advice as to which boot to buy sight unseen or tested.

Comment

i swear by danners!

^^this^^

Originally posted by toofa View Post
                thanks for the information!! I was given access to galls and bopmeyers to order gear. I may just order a set from them to have something for when i start otj training.

What do you folks suggest as a comfortable duty boot?
                I had picked out a great set form cabela's as we have a store remotely close to where i live. However, bop said that they will only pay for boots from the galls site. Now i am at a loss, i need advice as to which boot to buy sight unseen or tested.

Comment

^^this^^
                  Those are a bit out of my price range, do you know if boots with zippers/ zip up clear the detector ? I dont want the hassle of taking them off every time i walk through.

Comment

Those are a bit out of my price range, do you know if boots with zippers/ zip up clear the detector ? I dont want the hassle of taking them off every time i walk through.
                    I always ask "whats the price of your feet worth? With Danners you won't have to replace them that much." But as far as the detectors. Obviously it depends on the material of the zipper and what the sensitivity of the detector is set on. Each detector might be a little different. So if your option is some kind of metal/alloy zipper very real possibility.

Comment

I always ask "whats the price of your feet worth? With Danners you won't have to replace them that much." But as far as the detectors. Obviously it depends on the material of the zipper and what the sensitivity of the detector is set on. Each detector might be a little different. So if your option is some kind of metal/alloy zipper very real possibility.
                      Very good point, i'll look at the striker serious as well . What about the Bates Men's GX-8 GORE-TEX? Thank you for all the info and time.

Comment

Some institutions will allow you to choose two pairs of boots from their warehouse during your IF training. It's free and they have a variety of brands to select from. You will also get a free pair every 8 months. All their boots are metal detector friendly.
                        Last edited by phil 15; 02-04-2015, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• In the past I've transfered within DOD and the HRO's handled everything. Question, is BOP HRO going to negoitate a release date for me or am I going to need to submit an SF-52 to my losing activtiy.... My HRO rep for BOP just went TDY for 2 weeks.

Bop
                          20 MAR 14 Applied FCC VIctortville / FDC SeaTac
                          1 APR 14 E-Mail request to change GEO Pref to FCC Pollock
                          1 MAY 14 OF-5
                          7 MAY 14 Schduled Interview
                          10 JUN 14 Intview/UA/Phyiscal - Conditional offer
                          13 JUN 14 SF-85P Complete/ Firm offer
                          10 AUG 14 EOD

Comment

• Originally posted by dod299 View Post
                            In the past I've transfered within DOD and the HRO's handled everything. Question, is BOP HRO going to negoitate a release date for me or am I going to need to submit an SF-52 to my losing activtiy.... My HRO rep for BOP just went TDY for 2 weeks.

Bop
                            20 MAR 14 Applied FCC VIctortville / FDC SeaTac
                            1 APR 14 E-Mail request to change GEO Pref to FCC Pollock
                            1 MAY 14 OF-5
                            7 MAY 14 Schduled Interview
                            10 JUN 14 Intview/UA/Phyiscal - Conditional offer
                            13 JUN 14 SF-85P Complete/ Firm offer
                            10 AUG 14 EOD
                            Get with the HR Manager. When HR leaves for training/vacation etc they delegate their workload across.
                            As far as you SF 52 that should already be going on but follow up through BOP. DOD is not the fastest at transferring info.
                            As far as a release date nothing is negotiated by BOP they give you a start date and thats when you start. Some of the stuff might take a couple weeks to catch up.

I went from BOP to DOD and back to BOP so pm me if you have any specific ??
                            I would first try to contact a second person in your BOP HR office and go from there. They will hold the DOD HR feet bto the fire. It is not a show stopper if everything is not done but the sonper (before) you hire that BOP can start working it the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don11b View Post
                              Come to Victorville, pay won't be a concern here. I made 60k my first year doing OT, and most of it was mandatory. If you're looking to "kick in doors" our Pen has a reputation of always rockin and rollin.
                              Thats great to hear, I usually hear the complete opposite about OT with the BoP. I know state CDCR get OT up the ***, and I find it hard to beleive the feds dont. I am still waiting to hear back from HR at Victorville though, last I heard it was going to the warden for review of all files. How long have you been at Victorville?

Comment

• I had an interview at Tucson FCC a few days ago. They got me an interview fast since I am a Vet. I guess they push veterans applications quickly. How long do people normally have to wait until they get their conditional offer after the interview? Thx

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6451 users online. 332 members and 6119 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X