300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinasK View Post
    Do you guys know which facilities are hiring most often, I know that here in Colorado wait time could take years...
    Wait time at all joints can take years- call Grand Prairie and ask because they are the gate keepers. Find their number on USAJobs.gov
    Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
    Me: you really want an answer to that
    Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

Originally posted by ee78 View Post
      Since on the announcement Victorville is one of the three locations paying a bonus to sign does that mean they are processing people for that location quicker?

What do you mean by Victorville being rough?

Do CO get Law Enforcement Pay? How are the shifts/hours?
      The bonus that is paid to Victorville is because they are understaffed in comparison to other facilities. They would, ideally, like more people working there. The bonus has nothing to do with the cost of living since Victorville receives Los Angeles area locality pay, yet has a much lower cost of living in the high desert compared to LA area. So most who work at Victorville and live in Victorville, Hesperia, Apple Valley, or Barstow, live nicely off their pay. The bonus is just a few extra bucks on top.

There are 4 facilities at Victorville, but one of them is a minimum security camp, so for purposes of this conversation, we'll assume that nothing really happens there (which is mostly true) and you'll hardly ever work there as a CO (which is also mostly true since there is only one CO there per shift, but many other staff members from other departments). But at the 2 medium security facilities at Victorville, fights do happen, but not on a constant basis. They're sporadic and usually easily quelled. Rarely does a large scale fight at the mediums get so out of hand that it would be considered a riot, but it has happened. Google it and you might find news articles from the past. At the high security US Penitentiary, fights are somewhat common, but not necessarily a daily occurence. Large scale fights or riots are rare though due to the large officer presence and security measures in place.

COs do get paid federal law enforcement pay, get law enforcement retirement, and are authorized to carry concealed weapons off duty as federal law enforcement officers under LEOSA. Shifts and hours range and are bid on based on seniority.
      BOP, Correctional Officer, 6/2009 - 12/2011
      CBPO
      Geo preference: CA SWB
      Tested: 12/10/10
      NOR: 1/25/11 Score: 93
      TO: 5/25/11
      PFT1: 6/29/11 Successful
      Medical Complete: 10/20/11
      VBT/SI: 10/26/11 Pass
      Background Complete: 11/10/11
      EOD: 12/19/11 San Ysidro, CA
      BPA
      Geo Preference: CA SWB
      Applied: 8/4/11
      Written Test: 4/2006, score 90
      New NOR: 8/24/11
      TSL 1: 9/7/11
      PFT1: 10/13/11 Pass
      OB: 10/20/11 Pass
      TSU: 12/2/11

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Thanks for the info bro. I applied 7/25 and still haven't received anything. Are they waiting for the new fiscal year before they start a hiring push?

I also applied for a teaching position on August 16th. Would you know anything about that as well?

Comment

We aren't actively hiring more CO's right now because of the budget and all. But I don't know what the new fiscal year will hold. As far as the teacher position, I think I remember seeing the opening for that, but I don't know if they already hired someone for the opening or if they're still looking. Sorry I can't help more with that.
            BOP, Correctional Officer, 6/2009 - 12/2011
            CBPO
            Geo preference: CA SWB
            Tested: 12/10/10
            NOR: 1/25/11 Score: 93
            TO: 5/25/11
            PFT1: 6/29/11 Successful
            Medical Complete: 10/20/11
            VBT/SI: 10/26/11 Pass
            Background Complete: 11/10/11
            EOD: 12/19/11 San Ysidro, CA
            BPA
            Geo Preference: CA SWB
            Applied: 8/4/11
            Written Test: 4/2006, score 90
            New NOR: 8/24/11
            TSL 1: 9/7/11
            PFT1: 10/13/11 Pass
            OB: 10/20/11 Pass
            TSU: 12/2/11

Comment

Thanks for the info brother. Well the fiscal year is coming so I hope to hear something soon.

Comment

i sometimes wonder what happened to nyguy87 and whether if he got the job at Danbury,CT and how hes doing. its like people come and disappear into oblivion here lol.
                BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

So the only way to find out if a facility is hiring is to call that facillity directly? When applying, I was only given 2 options. I chose Chicago and San Diego, but not I regret not calling facilities first and finding out which facility has the best chance of hiring...

Comment

im waiting for mcc new york and otisville. i might actually switch my 2nd choice to Brooklyn since they are looking for hiring certificates in October when i contacted them.
                    BPA( California)

Comment

• If the BOP gets the ok to hire in brooklyn, or anywhere for that matter, will anyone who chose that location begin the process or will they only select a certain amount to start? Just curious since this was my first time applying for them and wasn't sure how the process goes. thanks

Comment

• usually they have a certain amount of certificates per FY i believe ... so lets just say 500 certificates needed, they will pick 500 people who are on the list. its my first time applying too. best of luck to us!
                        BPA( California)

Comment

• yes def. good luck, gotta stay positive. did u ever contact the manhattan facility to see if they were looking to hire or just brooklyn? i originally had ft. dix has my first choice since its so close to me but switched my preferences to manhattan and brooklyn since from everything i've read it seemed like the odds of getting hired there were better.

Comment

• Originally posted by fightinirish99 View Post
                            yes def. good luck, gotta stay positive. did u ever contact the manhattan facility to see if they were looking to hire or just brooklyn? i originally had ft. dix has my first choice since its so close to me but switched my preferences to manhattan and brooklyn since from everything i've read it seemed like the odds of getting hired there were better.
                            hey, i pmed you saying yes i spoke to HR at both brooklyn and nyc, and they pretty much said to wait on october... lets see if anything comes to the plate
                            BPA( California)

Comment

• yea man thats good to hear. guess we'll have to just wait and hope for the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by fightinirish99 View Post
                                yea man thats good to hear. guess we'll have to just wait and hope for the best.
                                yea bro, you are right on that one. i did hear from a friend that i made on this forum who works in mdc Brooklyn that Brooklyn is quite big and they always got a load of over time. so you probably got a pretty good chance in Brooklyn. we can only wait and find out now..
                                BPA( California)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3861 users online. 259 members and 3602 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X