Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant really tell you the difference but I know at the MDC in Brooklyn is more of a booking for feds and used for pretrial housing. I don't think that the MDC in Brooklyn and the MCC is that competitive normally because NYC DOC makes a lot more money. Like about 20k more in top base pay and has more room for advancement. But in this economy everyplace is competitive.

I would think most people in the BOP would not try and transfer to NYC because of the cost of living is high and the salary is not very competitive with the other local LE agencies.
    CBPO
    TO - 05/08 JFK
    EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

I know there is a nationwide announcement up right now but I haven't heard of anyone moving along the process from that announcement. The announcement I applied to was a one day announcement for the MDC only. Try and call the HR at some of the places you are interested in to see if they are actively hiring.
      CBPO
      TO - 05/08 JFK
      EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

At MDC you get a chance to live in staff housing at Fort Hamilton at a GREATLY reduced market rate. The place is safe and clean and one hell of a deal for Brooklyn. MCC staff can also live there but it is harder for a new C/O to get a apartment there. They saved them for Psyc Docs and people with rank mostly when I was at MCC but you can get in. But after I had been working at MCC for a few years I did not want to live around my bosses waaay out in Bay Ridge. It sucks banging in and then seeing your boss in the building. Please note my info is dated a bit. Things may have changed up a bit but I seriously doubt it. Staff housing was a big tool used to get people to come to nyc. Also the people looking for there high three in the city loved it.

Comment

Do any body know the number to the human resources dept in tx ..cause i put application at the prison in fort worth tx

Comment

hello lukingood10,

The phone number for FCI Fort Worth is 817-534-8400, you can simply ask to be transferred to HR I believe. Also, you can probably email FTW/[email protected] , and put on the subject employment question or something similar and the email will be directed to the HR services, unless if the exec assistant can answer it. expect about 1-5 business days for an answer depending on if your facility of choice frequency of checking emails and how busy the facility may be.

I would say best option is to email them,

best of luck.
            BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

Well I just applied for Victorville. I live about 70 miles from there.

Comment

Originally posted by ee78 View Post
                Well I just applied for Victorville. I live about 70 miles from there.
                Good luck. I hear it's a rough place.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Good luck.
                  CBPO
                  TO - 05/08 JFK
                  EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

whats the max pay for entry level CO if you have a masters degree?

Comment

Same as everyone else. Right now they are bringing everyone in as GL5, even people that meet the requirements for GL6/7. They MAY increase your steps to match you current pay if you are a fed employee. You don't need a masters level education to do the job of a CO so why would they pay more for it. Though you will see people coming in as entry level COs with MA degrees or in the process of getting one. It will help later on for other positions that do have higher pay.
                      Last edited by LIcoastie; 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM.
                      CBPO
                      TO - 05/08 JFK
                      EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

very true you dont, but I know OPM has guidelines for hiring in reference to degree level. If what you say is true, then BOP might be exempt. Unfortunately I'm not a current fed employee and I doubt they would match my pay or even try to come close.

Comment

EDUCATION:

FOR GL-05: Successful completion of a full 4-year course
                          of study in any field leading to a bachelor's degree from an
                          accredited college or university.

FOR GL-06: Nine (9) semester hours or fourteen (14)
                          quarter hours of graduate study, from an accredited school, in
                          Criminal Justice, Criminology, Social Science, or another field
                          of study related to the position such as law.

-So if you have 3 BS grad level classes you can qualify for GL6, however don't count on them actually bringing you in at that level just because you meet the requirement. I guy in my class met all of the experience requirements for s GL6. He had worked as a CO at that same facility for 3 years, then went to the VA police for about 3 years, now he want back and they only offered him entry level GL5!
                          CBPO
                          TO - 05/08 JFK
                          EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                            Same as everyone else. Right now they are bringing everyone in as GL5, even people that meet the requirements for GL6/7. They MAY increase your steps to match you current pay if you are a fed employee. You don't need a masters level education to do the job of a CO so why would they pay more for it. Though you will see people coming in as entry level COs with MA degrees or in the process of getting one. It will help later on for other positions that do have higher pay.
                            Not necessarily true. My facility hired a new batch and they all started at GL-6.

Keep in mind the BOP promotes almost exclusively from within. So many people with Masters degrees enter as COs or secretaries, then move on to much better positions.
                            What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

hey kansan,

how is Border Patrol treating you?
                              BPA( California)

NOR 75( no clue why am i stuck in the 70's) 9/2011

Comment

Originally posted by dghai62 View Post
                                hey kansan,

how is Border Patrol treating you?
                                I haven't started yet, I start next Monday and I am excited. The BOP was a good opportunity to get into the federal system, but it didn't fit into my long term goals. 2 years working for the BOP was enough to suck my soul right out of me.
                                What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4644 users online. 317 members and 4327 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X