Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New nationwide announcement http://jobview.usajobs.gov/getjob.as...11&WT.mc_n=125
    CBPO
    TO - 05/08 JFK
    EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

I applied with the USAJobs posting to FCI Dublin. Not really thrilled about the idea of being surrounded by borderline personalities all day but California isn't exactly a hotbed of law enforcement jobs these days and I'm kinda tied down to this area. I figure it doesn't really matter because USAJobs is pretty useless unless you're a vet.

Anyone have any tips about the hiring process or working at a womens prison or anything? What kind of training do they give you? I found I was pretty well qualified given the questionnaire based on some work id done at a school in southeast DC, which ironically I was woefully unprepared for and was able to improvise just using mutual respect

Comment

My advice would be to avoid the women's prison at all costs. Especially if you have never worked in a prison before.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

How this national announcement work. Can I choose exact location. I have CO experience and I almost finished my masters but I am interested just in one facility.

Comment

Originally posted by RTR
            I applied for the Federal CO job and was wondering how long before I hear something? Thanks
            There is no telling. It could be tomorrow, it could be never.
            What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Took me a year to hear back from an actively hiring joint (I scored high) and it took a buddy who scored low a couple of weeks........... Like Kansas said it depends.
              Inmate: Why y'all treat us like criminals
              Me: you really want an answer to that
              Inmate: Man thats crazy CO

Comment

^^Not likely. It is hard to get hired at those facilities, even if you have time. However Coleman is in constant need of new COs.
                What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Hello guys,
                  Can you tell me how long you have to stay at the facility before you can transfer. How hard is to transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by LinasK View Post
                    Hello guys,
                    Can you tell me how long you have to stay at the facility before you can transfer. How hard is to transfer?
                    The general rule as far as I have heard is 18 months unless you are applying for a hardship transfer. In that case, most of the time they expect you to finish your probationary year, though I have heard of exceptions. I don't think it is too hard to transfer, though you may have to wait until the facility where you want to go has openings. One of my classmates transferred to Springfield about 3 months ago, though his was considered a hardship transfer, he still had to wait until an opening was posted to usajobs at that facility.

Here is an example of a transfer opening: http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.as...8+00%3a03%3a00
                    What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I am thinking about applying to become a BOP correctional officer. I am on the April, 2009 list for the NYS DOCS and am in the middle of processing for a CO position with a county sheriff’s office, but it does not seem like either of those positions are going to open up any time soon. Is FCI Danbury still in need of COs? Also, does FCI Otisville hire very often? Those are the two closest facilities to where I live. I have an AAS degree in criminal justice – police science and have been working full time in the retail loss prevention industry as a store detective for the past three and a half years. Would I even be considered based on my qualifications? I heard that currently the BOP is for the most part only hiring veterans. One last thing, what does the physical agility test consist of? I can’t seem to find a description of it anywhere. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by NFA5426 View Post
                        I am thinking about applying to become a BOP correctional officer. I am on the April, 2009 list for the NYS DOCS and am in the middle of processing for a CO position with a county sheriff’s office, but it does not seem like either of those positions are going to open up any time soon. Is FCI Danbury still in need of COs? Also, does FCI Otisville hire very often? Those are the two closest facilities to where I live. I have an AAS degree in criminal justice – police science and have been working full time in the retail loss prevention industry as a store detective for the past three and a half years. Would I even be considered based on my qualifications? I heard that currently the BOP is for the most part only hiring veterans. One last thing, what does the physical agility test consist of? I can’t seem to find a description of it anywhere. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
                        BOP right now is hiring mostly vets, but that is not to say that you need to be a vet to get hired. I was hired back in 2009, and I am not a vet. One thing I notice is that a lot of people move to a different part of the country to get the job. I got lucky and was hired at the only BOP facility in my area, but most of those who started with me were from other areas.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to go ahead and apply. You might get lucky like I did.
                        What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                          BOP right now is hiring mostly vets, but that is not to say that you need to be a vet to get hired. I was hired back in 2009, and I am not a vet. One thing I notice is that a lot of people move to a different part of the country to get the job. I got lucky and was hired at the only BOP facility in my area, but most of those who started with me were from other areas.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to go ahead and apply. You might get lucky like I did.
                          Thanks for your response. I will apply and hope for the best. What's the worst that can happen? I found this video (that looks like it is from 1985. lol) that outlines the three week training course at FLETC that all BOP staff must complete when they are hired. It is a little odd to me that all BOP staff receive the same training as COs and also that the course is only three weeks long. How much field training is there specifically for COs after they graduate from FLETC? In the video it seemed like the instructors were really lax on the grooming (one guy had a full beard) and personal appearance standards of the employees enrolled in the course. I guess I can see why though, considering that not all of the employees attending it are COs and that some are counselors, maintenance workers, teachers etc. I know the course is still only three weeks, but how much has it changed (if at all) since this video was made?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7aZa5SEXZM

Comment

Originally posted by NFA5426 View Post
                            Thanks for your response. I will apply and hope for the best. What's the worst that can happen? I found this video (that looks like it is from 1985. lol) that outlines the three week training course at FLETC that all BOP staff must complete when they are hired. It is a little odd to me that all BOP staff receive the same training as COs and also that the course is only three weeks long. How much field training is there specifically for COs after they graduate from FLETC? In the video it seemed like the instructors were really lax on the grooming (one guy had a full beard) and personal appearance standards of the employees enrolled in the course. I guess I can see why though, considering that not all of the employees attending it are COs and that some are counselors, maintenance workers, teachers etc. I know the course is still only three weeks, but how much has it changed (if at all) since this video was made?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7aZa5SEXZM
                            There is no additional training for COs aside from the 3 week fletc course. The training that you get down there is a joke, very easy and very basic, but it was designed so that even a 350 pound secretary, or a 55 year old dentist could complete it. The reason they make everyone in the BOP go through the course is supposedly so anyone can respond to an emergency situation or work a custody post in the facility if needed on an emergency basis.

After you complete your probationary year, you will be eligible for some additional training. Basic Prisoner Transport, SORT/DCT, HNT, WitSec, Bus School, etc. Sign up for anything and everything that opens, it will only help you when promotions come around.
                            What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I have my medical for BOP scheduled for next week. Anyone here working at MDC Brooklyn?
                              CBPO
                              TO - 05/08 JFK
                              EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                                I have my medical for BOP scheduled for next week. Anyone here working at MDC Brooklyn?
                                Speaking of MDC Brooklyn. What is the difference between an MCC, MDC and an FDC? As far as I can tell they all serve as pre-trial detention centers and also as a "central booking" so to speak for federal law enforcement agencies that arrest people in or around the city that the facility is located. Is that accurate? Also, is the hiring process for MCCs, MDCs and FDCs more competitive than the hiring process for the FCIs and the USPs? The only reason I ask is that I assume that since those facilities are located in major cities, that there will be more people applying for a position there as opposed to a facility like ADX Florence, which is in the middle of nowhere. I was thinking about applying to MCC New York, but Im not sure is that is the type of facility where I would have to have some time on the job in another facility and then put in for a transfer there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3919 users online. 266 members and 3653 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X