Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will they give out 8s? After you have your 7 and 3 years or 7 for 2 years?

Comment

• Denver81
      Denver81 commented
      Editing a comment
      There has to be openings for 8's. It is up to the Warden how many 8's are available at what ever institution. All 8's given will be through USA jobs. 8 is competitive. You just have to be a 7 for 52 weeks.

• Yungstar713
      Yungstar713 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not any more july 31st its no longer competitive. If you have been a 7 for a year you will go to GL-8

• I haven’t posted here in so long. I am trying to go back into corrections after leaving a state prison (CO) Dec 2020.

I applied to BOP (USP Atwater, FCI Herlong) on 3/9, got BQ, heard back from Atwater 4/28. Didn’t go through with anything until last week (busy with move to CA, Master’s degree). I interview next week.

Can anyone tell me what comes after this “interview”?

The email says I need to prepare for 4-6 hours. I will take a Core Values Assessment Test, Fill out forms, pre-employment interview, writing sample, panel interview, fingerprints, physical/urinalysis.

What is after all that? And about how long would the wait be if after that is to just wait a decision?

Also about pay, I read an Atwater BOP flyer (off of google) that says recruitment incentive is 17% and retention incentive is 14% (after first year). Is this still the case? Is the 17% RI calculated from the $44,545 that usajobs lists the position as?

Lastly, how much is shift differential? And how is mandated overtime in Atwater? I don’t mind it, just want to know what to expect for school purposes.

I would appreciate any information you guys/girls can provide.
    Last edited by KLJG; 07-02-2022, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• KLJG
      KLJG commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info.

I do keep reading that (same day conditional offer). How long after this conditional offer does one get a final offer?

• Forester87
      Forester87 commented
      Editing a comment
      KLJG

I ended up turning down the conditional offer. It would probably have been a couple weeks; there isn't a security clearance process and really no other steps to complete, so I'd imagine it goes quickly.

• KLJG
      KLJG commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there a general reason why you turned it down?

I honestly prefer to work for CDCR…more money and I could live closer to my wife’s family. I already have a place to stay. But getting the job at Atwater, I would have to move closer to it because I currently live 3+ hours away. With CDCR, they have about 3 prisons that are 50min to 1hr 15min away from where I currently live. Herlong is no better, i’d also have to move if I accept an offer there. Plus CDCR has 2 other prisons that are under 2 hours away and located in areas I can easily relocate to because it wouldn’t put my wife too far away from her job.

But due to my master’s degree, I am open to working for BOP, because there is a job position I want in the VA which requires a master’s degree minimum. So I figure being part of the fed in some way, would make it easier for me to get a job in the VA than it would if I was a regular applicant.

• Forester87
      Forester87 commented
      Editing a comment
      KLJG

I'm in the process for various other federal agencies. I've already got competitive status in the federal government and FLETC training, so no need for a foot in the door. I really only applied to BOP on a whim after a buddy of mine from my agency said he was applying and it would be great if we could work together.

• Automatic 8's, Staff with 5 years in getting promoted to Lt(without having worked critical posts), I can go on. The BOP is a dying agency. The fair thing to do would be to grandfather all staff who have been 8's for over a year into automatic 9's if the BOP is serious about retaining staff.

Comment

• are they any thing that would disqualify you in the application process after fillong out the 0f.5 because i was fired from 2 previous employers

Comment

• Misco Jones
        Misco Jones commented
        Editing a comment
        In today's BOP, you'll fit right in.

• I have been retired for right at 2 years but let me share a little history on GS/GL 8 spots that most may not know. We (or you folks stilll in BOP) Have been there with automatic promotions before.

Years ago, in the late 1980's in BOP as a CO you got your GS 8 automatically. They suspended that in the 80's or early 90's making 8 a competitive promotion.

Then in 2003 there was a push by USP Wardens to have USP Officers automatically get their 8 due to the fact that USP staff delt with a ton more issues than lows and mediums. Of course, BOP was too broke according to Lappin the director at the time (and they about dumped a brick when the old school USP Leavenworth Warden promoted everyone eligible to 8 like 30 staff when he had 5 spots (the downside is between that and Leavenworth downgrading to a Medium in 2005 NO 8 Board for a Long Long time there)

Myself I have mixed feelings as the last 10 years before I retired a lot of folks didn't deserve their 7 but when you look at other agencies like the US Marshals everyone goes to GS 12 automatically and within BOP Case managers, Teachers and a couple others go to 11 automatically. The Difference is other agencies have maybe more hiring scrutiny and are less tolerant of staff doing dumb stuff.

In a perfect world the competitive 8 board was a good idea on paper but anyone around for a minute saw some of the wrong folks milked that and got the next rung without doing the work So I'm not sure it worked as well as it was ment to be.

I will say I was surprised the automatic 8 happened as the Administration resisted it pretty hard the last 20 years.

Comment

• Yungstar713
        Yungstar713 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats good info. I'm pretty sure the gs8 wa supposed to be like a SGT role like how some other corrections agencies have those but honestly the way its been used since ive been in the bureau at my joint at least most gs8 dont want to promote and pick easy post and only do bpt ot. Then gs7s work critical posts and cant even BQ. Im suprised it went through but i dont think its over because now now R&D and S.I.S im sure are going complain and try to shoot for 9 pay. Im suprised it’s happening as well but im sure EEO complaints and homie hook ups had alot to do with it because thats another problem ive seen with alot of recent people who have gotten their 8s.

• in625shooter
        in625shooter commented
        Editing a comment
        Yungstar here has been my experience on Folks making 8 AND what 8's roles were when 8 spots were competitive.

DISCLAIMER I am just recounting what I saw from 2000-2020 so if you are not interested scroll on!

I hired in at an old school USP that became a complex. It was a stand-alone homesteader joint when I hired in. Homestead joints have 2nd a-4th Generation employees that a GS 8 or Unit Manager spot is the premier spot for them and they are not moving. So sometimes that makes it tricky as spots don't open up as often. USP's are a little better than Medium or Lows as they had more GS 8 spots.

Complexes or newly activating institutions are/were the easiest to make your 8 at/ If you were willing to move you could be a warden. The downside to that when they activated AUSP Thomson they sat dormant for a couple years with no inmates other than minimum security campers to help do labor. So you had staff not really having true USP inmate responsibilities or even ever placed handcuffs on real inmates getting their GS 8's.

When I hired in a GS 8 was God and they ran the shift. At least at a USP you didn't want to go to a LT for anything unless you called a fight or something. 8's ran it. They also quashed a lot of stupid Rookie/staff stuff. LT's were above God and I saw rookies get walked out by LT's on evening watch a few times told they didn't have a job and call the captain. And next day when the rookie pled their case Capt and HR said they already had their answer and they could resign or be fired. It kept staff in line. And LT's called the admin after the smoke cleared with homicides or serious use of force stuff. Nobody had Blackberries or whatever they carry now.

Sometime in 2008 it started changing slowly. At stand alones when I hired it wasn't uncommon to have 13 years at mine before you even made the desk on an 8 board and got it. I know another one 17 years was the norm. Now (or before the automatic 8) if Staff didn't get it by year 3 or 4 OMG the Humanity was gone, let the bang ins begin yada yada (which that sort of showed the Warden they made the right choice to me). So there was that. and it seemed Admin started giving 8's out earlier and earlier so it was a matter of time it became automatic again.

So at some point 8's weren't allowed to be 8's and GS 11's weren't allowed to be GS 11's as you couldn't get in someone's arse anymore and be done with it they would cry to the union or HR or the Captain and then you have staff being carried for 6 month of AWOL and they still won't fire them. (and I spent time as a GS 11 LT so I saw it first hand)

The Good thing about automatic 8's is it opens up spots for folks that would take a paid move (if they still give them) to put in for a LT spot somewhere and not have to wait for a retirement to maybe make the board so there is that. But if you don't mind moving I have seen the most inept GS 7 Officers move and make AW and even Warden.

• Is it this pay period the 8s come in?

Comment

• JZ71LT
        JZ71LT commented
        Editing a comment
        It started 7/31. So the pay period that ended yesterday.

• Yungstar713
        Yungstar713 commented
        Editing a comment
        Check your epp its on there. We also went up a step when my local uinion and several LTs swore it wasnt going to be a big raise and a step increase lol

• So my eod is October and thats my 7th year which I was supposed to get a step increased. So do I have to wait another 2 years now?

Comment

• Just curious what BOP would do/hire someone at if they're already a federal employee (a GS-11) with a graduate degree? Thanks

Comment

• Signal108M
          Signal108M commented
          Editing a comment
          I transferred from Dept of Treasury civil service as a GS12 step 10 to a BOP position graded as GS 7 thru 10. BOP brought me in as a GS10 step 10. Since I had voluntarily transferred that’s the best they could do.

Here the OPM fact sheet on pay retention:
          https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...pay-retention/

• Signal108M
          Signal108M commented
          Editing a comment
          Here’s the pertinent part from OPM pay retention rules:

An agency may not provide pay retention to an employee who-
          Is reduced in grade or pay for personal cause or at the employee's request;

• Lady_Corrections
          Lady_Corrections commented
          Editing a comment
          When I received my offer in 2021, they wouldn't even give me GS-7 Step 10. They told me I had to come in at Step 1, so I turned down the offer. It's too expensive where I live to be taking a $20k pay cut.

• Don't do it stay away from bop.

Comment

• Is it easy to transfer from one prison to another? Also, could it be done with less than a year OTJ?

Comment

• Yungstar713
            Yungstar713 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes but it depends on the facility your trying to go to. If they are hurting yea it can be done in less than a year. Ive seen guys transfer after 6 months.

• gmen0587
            gmen0587 commented
            Editing a comment
            I may end up in Coleman but might transfer back to fort dix if things don’t workout as planned. So I can get back to my family pretty much. It’s complicated but I did not want to have to wait a whole year to transfer. Hopefully it all works out but just a backup plan

• Anybody here that has transitioned from corrections to police/sheriff/federal agent positions?

Comment

• Originally posted by NoLimitJay1347 View Post
            Anybody here that has transitioned from corrections to police/sheriff/federal agent positions?
            I did.

Comment

• Finally got a firm offer. The entire process took about 7 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoLimitJay1347 View Post
                Anybody here that has transitioned from corrections to police/sheriff/federal agent positions?

Yes, Federal Corrections to Federal Police and it was the best employment decision I’ve ever made. Took me 4 applications with this agency to finally get a phone call to start the process, but well worth it. My advice if you’re currently BOP… keep applying to police jobs and don’t stop until you’re handing in your resignation memo to your Captain.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1691 users online. 135 members and 1556 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X