Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 budget request: reduction of 3.5% from 2021, although number of correctional officer positions, support staff, and overall number of positions are unchanged.

https://www.justice.gov/jmd/page/file/1398986/download
    Last edited by Signal108M; 07-10-2021, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      We had around a 6 Billion yearly budget Trump administration upped it to around 9 billion. Then the pandemic and our inmate population dropped from around 210,000 (in BOP facilities this excluded ICE and Contract facilities) to now around 140,000 to 150,000 so the cuts make sense.

The biggest expense with BOP is aging inmate care (as well as a few injured during arrest or at some point during incarceration. I've seen a few within my USP career) But with numbers getting down that will go down.

For that BOP use to spend around 1 Billion on inmate health care alone.

I would look for BOP to close some FCIs and consolidate inmate populations. It doesn't make sense to have a facility half open and vacent bed space like they did at some hard to hire places the last few years. And with inmate population down now across the board they could. plug inmates from half full instituions into those facilities.
      Last edited by in625shooter; 07-11-2021, 05:04 PM.

• If you get mandated to stay for OT can you say no? What happens?

Comment

• JamoStu
      JamoStu commented
      Editing a comment
      In your rookie year I’d highly suggest you don’t and even after I’m pretty sure it’s frowned upon. The admin positions like counselors and case workers decline augments all the time unfortunately but COs turning down mandates not so much.

• Jay017
      Jay017 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just to expand on the comment above because although true, also understand that if there is a legitimate reason(child care, family emergency, etc.) that you can provide documentation for (not always required but certainly helps your case) then by all means the people that matter will understand. However, if it’s just because you don’t want to then it’s kind of hard to look down the line at other officers and expect them to respect that. To answer your second part “what happens”...although the SIA of your institution (or captain depending on the structure) will receive a memo stating you refused it ultimately rests in their hands if any action is taken. As such, if there is supporting documentation or a legitimate reason then nothing really ever happens. If it’s continuous and for no good reason then corrective action can be taken. But the more damaging effect is often seen in the form of less consideration for promotions/training opportunities.

• I wouldn't refuse a Mando unless you have a legit reason as the person stated above. Also this is where having a good rapport with management can come into play. I've seen it where lieutenants will skip you and give it to somebody that they know will want it and in return that CO will come in the next day and return the favor by staying for a double.

Comment

• I was told by HR and I heard from this forum that new hiring will not happen until October 2021. Does this mean incoming Officers will start in October or could it be anytime from October and moving forward?

Comment

• hopefulfedle
        hopefulfedle commented
        Editing a comment
        You most likely won't start until the new fiscal year starts in October.

• in625shooter
        in625shooter commented
        Editing a comment
        The 3 that can actively hire right now are Thomson, Florence and Beaumont. Everythung else is kaput til 1 October Even exec staff moves are shelved til then.

That said it's not a big deal as 1 October is only 2 months away and at the speed that BOP/Grand Prarie and HR works theres about 59 days
        Last edited by in625shooter; 08-03-2021, 11:41 AM.

• hudsoncounty91
        hudsoncounty91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you hopefulfedle and in625shooter for your response! Much appreciated.

• Silly question. I’m hoping for a firm offer for a non-custody at a MCC soon. Completed all the steps so far.

Do the city facilities typically have storage for employees for things that can’t be brought in (ie phones etc). I’m thinking about taking the train into work with my bag, phone, headphones , etc. Don't mind leaving that stuff at home but would rather have access to it after the shift since I have kids.

thanks

Comment

• in625shooter
        in625shooter commented
        Editing a comment
        There was a meme a couple years ago when they made it not against policy (which they always looked thenither way) for staff to keep personal firearms in vehicles (LEOSA). I believe they were also suppose to install staff lockers outside the sexure perimeter at MCC/FDC etc.

I retired out of a FCC so there was no rush as nobody used public transportation so I didn't follow up. But Wardens are gonna slow walk as most won't spend money on anything that THEY don't want to..

Hopefully someone else can orivide a better update

• Anyone know how USP Thomson in Illinois is

Comment

• Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
        Anyone know how USP Thomson in Illinois is
        it has a terrible turnover rate and other facilities are sending COs there for 14 days TDY to help. I assume it sucks.

Comment

• Just got an email to submit OF - 5 for USP Thomson, Illinois. Anyone know how long the process for out of state applicants?

Comment

• in625shooter
            in625shooter commented
            Editing a comment
            Out of state will be the same time. In fact they offer (or did pre covid) a courtesy interview meaning you can do everything at an institution close to you. And no it doesnt make a difference IE it's not better one way or the other if you do a courtesy or go to the actual hiring institurion.

That said its always a good idea to maybe make a trip just to see the area and if it's something you want to commit to. And FYI Thomson folks I know live around Clinton Iowa area
            Last edited by in625shooter; 08-12-2021, 07:10 AM.

• I turned down an offer because they wouldn't match pay. I'm already a federal employee and was willing to take a pay cut at GL-7, Step 10. They wouldn't go above GL-7, Step 1. It would probably take me a decade to get back to what I'm earning now, so that was a no go.

Comment

• in625shooter
            in625shooter commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoever told you is either full or it or doesn't know the job. In 20 years I have seen several staff come over and they match your pay. If you are over the GS 7 step 10 pay if you were under a GS 12 or 13 they start you at a GS 7 step 00.

If you want pm your specifics to me and I'll call an HR person I am still close too that will get the no BS answer for you

• Lady_Corrections
            Lady_Corrections commented
            Editing a comment
            I contacted consolidated HR, and they stated that BOP does not match salaries.

• dangerr101
            dangerr101 commented
            Editing a comment
            so, BOP does not match pay if your a current FED employee? why not?

• Lady_Corrections
            Lady_Corrections commented
            Editing a comment
            They don't have to match pay; offering to match pay is a courtesy or done to attract hires. Some agencies have pay retention policies, but those only apply to people moving to another position within the agency. Even though the institution that offered me the job had a lot of applicants who didn't make it through the process, I guess they didn't need an additional body bad enough to pay a premium salary. Admittedly, I would have been making more than some of the supervisors.

• Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
          Anyone know how USP Thomson in Illinois is
          Originally posted by JamoStu View Post

it has a terrible turnover rate and other facilities are sending COs there for 14 days TDY to help. I assume it sucks.
          Originally posted by dalan View Post
          Just got an email to submit OF - 5 for USP Thomson, Illinois. Anyone know how long the process for out of state applicants?
          First I have not worked at Thomson or the BOP......but I live in the area

USP Thomson is out in the middle of nowhere about 10 miles north (and across the Mississippi River) of Clinton Iowa OR 30 miles NW of the Quad Cities (Davenport/Moline/Rock Island) Clinton is about 24K population Quad Cities is about 400K between the 2 states.

The area is quite nice but NOT if you don't like rural living. I think the rural nature is a lot of t he turnover rate. Yes they are in a constant state of hiring.

The facility grounds actually have the Mississippi River as it's western border. Great fishing areas and good hunting spots within driving distance of any place you would live.

The facility was built by the State of Illinois (in 2001) as a "super max" prison but was never staffed. In about 2010 or so the BOP bought the facility and did a total remodel. They finally activated the joint in 2019

One of the reasons Illinois never activated the facility was staffing. There was very little interest from locals to work in a prison, however the local area supported the faculty from the start hoping the financial impact of the faculty would impact the area. This continued after the BOP started activation Therefore almost all employees are imports

Like any "less than ideal" prison facility there are lots of hires and lots of transfers out................thus a revolving door of employees. I dealt with that at the max penitentiary I worked at. People found out they didn't like working max and left for better institutions or left the profession. Also since we had turnover we always were hiring --- people would get hired and transfer closer to "home" once they completed probation.
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Showtime0811
            Showtime0811 commented
            Editing a comment
            Last year I didn’t pass the Core Values Assessment, scored a 68% on it and needed a 70% to pass which was for Coleman Florida. I sent my application in for Coleman couple months ago but never heard anything about a interview so I changed it recently to Thomson and was contacted that week for a interview which is on Thursday. I’ve heard bad things about Thomson but to get my foot in the door to possibly transfer to any institution would it be worth the time.

• Iowa #1603
            Iowa #1603 commented
            Editing a comment
            i would think working in an AdMax successfully would let you write your own ticket to almost any other institution after a year or 18 months
            Against a 20 yr career-----you could do 18 months standing on your head

• We're so short at my institution that they switched to a 12-hour workday to "improve morale". 3 days on, 4 off one week, 4 on, 3 off the next. I actually like the schedule a lot. The only problem is that they are mandating you to stay three days a week lmao.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4195 users online. 266 members and 3929 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X