Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks guys. My institution hasn't said a word to me since I've been back from training, so I guess I'll play the waiting game

Comment

• Looks like you’re getting the coveted POB award. You get to give yourself three pats on the back for doing a good job just like Angry Cops does in his YouTube videos!
      US Army Veteran
      The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

• My institution has unlimited OT. I worked 93 hours last week, 80 hours the week before that and I've only been in for 2 months. Pretty easy job.

Comment

• hopefulfedle
          hopefulfedle commented
          Editing a comment
          Misco Jones & in625shooter--I don't plan to work this much OT often, and I thank you for your wisdom.

@dangerr101-- I work at a standalone FCI that is extremely short staffed. It's an easy job meaning all you are required to do is sit in your office and do what's required by your post orders.

• dangerr101
          dangerr101 commented
          Editing a comment
          As a CO, you get an office? If I may ask other than counts what do you do?

Would a FCI be similar to an FDC?

• hopefulfedle
          hopefulfedle commented
          Editing a comment
          dangerr101 You have an office inside a unit. It depends really on what you do, if the inmates are on lockdown then you feed them, you transfer them, and just overall supervise. Like others have said in this forum, you're really an overpaid babysitter unless you are working in a Pen.

I have no idea how a FDC compares to a FCI, I'm sure its a bit different being that a FDC is a high rise and the inmates are temporary until they transfer out.

• Winter_Patriot
          Winter_Patriot commented
          Editing a comment
          I applied to an FDC and was told that the defendants are basically in a modified lockdown most of the time.

• Originally posted by hopefulfedle View Post
        My institution has unlimited OT. I worked 93 hours last week, 80 hours the week before that and I've only been in for 2 months. Pretty easy job.
        I can only imagine what that paycheck will look like. Especially after all the special pay rates I’m sure you reached. I think about 13 hours days and it’s no different then going to PT in the morning and getting of at 6pm in the military to be honest. I start at my institution on the 21st and am looking forward to it.

Comment

• hopefulfedle
          hopefulfedle commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck and congrats!

• Like I wrote previously, the OT is good until you start getting mandated 2-4x per week. If you are crazy enough to put in for a place like Thomson or any USP, you will be working over 60 hours per week at a minimum. With that said, the turnover in the BOP is getting pretty bad. At my standalone low, staff with 5 years in are in the top third in the seniority roster. Put in for CBP, get your automatic 12 , and stamp passports all day.

Comment

• Misco tells the truth. Unless you cannot pass a poly, have background or medical issues; one is foolish to go to the BOP. Unless you are stopping the age clock. If you stay in the BOP it is best done in facilities as HVAC, plumbing or electrician.
          If you have to go BOP get some trade skill schooling, you’ll be glad you did.

Comment

• in625shooter
            in625shooter commented
            Editing a comment
            Before my BOP career I did some municiple PD time and worked for the US Marshals Service as a contractor. Le tr me just add MY experience No Federal agency is progressive in their LE mission and haven't been for years Sure some have more prestige than others but none are truly tip of the spear with the exception of FBI HRT members and maybe some FBI Regional SWAT, USMS SOG or DHS Borstar. Thats about it.

As far as BOP I did my whole stint at an active USP that becane a complex USPs while you have note inmate issues you have less staff on staff petty issues than a med or especially a low FCI (and I mean no disrespect to staff at those joints)

The catch that many gravitate to with BOP is unless you are municiple area or west coast BOP pays about 2 to 2 1/2 times more base pay than many many LE agencies. Is money everything? NO you have to be happy. But I made a lot of money ln 20 years with minimal O/T (6 figures my last 3 years) and after doing the municiple PD thing I was over that.

Most of us never grew up saying "Hey I want to work at a Fed Prison" But the oay and Fed LE retirement isn't that bad of a thing so many just get comfortable and happy.

That said my advice if anyone wants to do proactive LE stuff I'd find a good municiple or state agency over any Federal agency

That said the Feds and particular BOP can be great promotion wise if you are willing to move every 2 years.
            Last edited by in625shooter; 06-07-2021, 09:40 AM.

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            I applied all over and was willing to work for BOP to stop my age timer (34 at the time) and get my foot in the door. It sounds like the shift work could have been tough, but I was definitely willing to do it for a few years. The ability to transfer to different locations would have been a plus for me. If they'd offered me an interview first, I probably would have ended up with BOP. I ended up getting an offer for US Probation first though. I'm still considering going to work for BOP as an attorney if I ever see an opening.

• Yungstar713
            Yungstar713 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea like shooter said if your willing to take some unpaid moves and deal with the politics that come with becoming a warden bop is gold.

• Anyone have any info on FCI Coleman hiring process? I had my interview in April, was given a conditional offer pending on a few things to clear from my credit. Everything was paid off and I provided proof. Anyone go through the same and never heard back? I was told my application is waiting on clearance from DC? Not sure if that just means it's a no go for me.

Comment

• Good luck to everyone still in process. Hang in there.
            Last edited by hudsoncounty91; 06-14-2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Just a heads up. A bop hiring freeze is happening. Not sure if its until the fiscal year starts back in October or its heading into next fiscal year but a freeze is happening due to budget issues.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                Winter_Patriot commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know. What are the reasons? Just the fed government overspending in other areas?

• Originally posted by Yungstar713 View Post
              Just a heads up. A bop hiring freeze is happening. Not sure if its until the fiscal year starts back in October or its heading into next fiscal year but a freeze is happening due to budget issues.
              This is not entirely correct. All conditional offers must have a start date of October 1st or earlier. Anyone currently in the process will not be DQ'ed because of a "freeze". The most understaffed institutions(Florence, Thomson, Beaumont, or basically any USP) will be exempt. They will be continuously hiring year-round. This is per AFGE. Refer to your local steward or union VP/President for more information.

Comment

• These "Hiring Freeze" rumors are just wet dreams by the Administration.And probably an out loud suggestion someone else ran with They have tried several times to implement freezes or changes and a bad idea gets out and the rumor mongers add their narrative to it and BAM

Lived this for 20 years. It will magically "go away" before October 1st. The Union will exaggerate it and hit Congress up while claiming to be under manned while their folks on Official Duty can't or won't get mandated. The Admin will also have an angle and hit Congress up after they do their own okie doke with moving institutional budgets around and Magic...BOP gets extra look at this $$ we found for you

Glad I'm retired from the BS
                Last edited by in625shooter; 06-21-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Yungstar713
                  Yungstar713 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly the union in our region put out a letter they wrote to congress about it. So we shall see come oct 1st.

• Of interest

https://apnews.com/article/michael-c...2o5NhzuAegoR8c
                Last edited by in625shooter; 06-24-2021, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• Yungstar713
                  Yungstar713 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We shall see how this goes. Im not suprised honestly since ive been in the agency it seems like when a new administration comes in office they want to clean house from the last.

• in625shooter
                  in625shooter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Youngstar, in my 20 years I have seen the opposite. BOP Directors and RDs stayed intact Like BOP was in a realm nobody wanted or needed to touch.

There has been a call to have the BOP Director get confirmed like every other Director of other Federal LE agencies which sounds good but thats where you run into the issues you mentuon. The worker bees are really at the whim of a political direction Don't get me wring bit a fan of the last few Directors but more of ineptness or arrogance than oilitical reasons.

We shall see

• What are some ways that you all think the BOP can implement/change/etc to increase staffing levels?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
                  Winter_Patriot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The hiring process isn't as efficient as it could be in my personal experience. I applied to a local FDC. HR said that they were hiring and that I was on the best qualified list. They said they'd be inviting me to an interview in about two weeks. I followed up a couple times and kept getting told the same thing. Eventually I moved onto another agency. When I did hear back from BOP, it was about five months after I'd applied and I'd already accepted a different job.

• Yungstar713
                  Yungstar713 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I work at a bop joint in California and for us its pay. Our state CO’s and other agencies in the state pay so much more then bop. Other regions from what i hear is the locations of alot of prisons aren’t desirable.

• Is bop still hiring or brining people on before October 1st?

Comment

• hudsoncounty91
                  hudsoncounty91 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I second this question. I was told that I'll be brought on sometime after October. I asked if October is the specific month that they'll start onboarding and they told me it may or may not be. I'm thinking it could honestly be any time from October and moving forward. Best of luck with everything.

• Per HR this week at my complex: no more new employee orientation classes until October. They’re still processing viable applicants though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2824 users online. 162 members and 2662 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X