Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if anyone has questions can pm me I can help to the best of my knowledge.
    Last edited by alphawolf290; 03-05-2021, 05:49 PM. Reason: double message

Comment

• So now the BOP is processing and hiring applicants who haven't even BQ'ed? This agency is becoming more of a joke each passing day.

Comment

• in625shooter
        in625shooter commented
        Editing a comment
        While after 20 some years nothing surprises me. I feel like the rating was mis stated on the grade he wasn interviewed for OR he slipped through and HR caught it.
        Last edited by in625shooter; 03-06-2021, 06:15 AM.

• Kanon1911
        Kanon1911 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not sure how that entire BQ or HQ stuff works but i know that there were at least 30 of us there, all considered highly qualified, I know that because the HR rep kept saying, " for whatever reason you guys are ranked highly qualified, so lets get you guys tested so you can come up best qualified"

• I live in FL and I'm considering FCC Coleman, FCI Miami, and FDC Miami. If anyone works at, or knows about these spots, please message me or reply. I've read about 50 pages back in this thread.

I would like to know more, mostly about rookie shift schedules, mandatory OT, on site FLETC training, inmate to CO ratios, and frequency of violent incidents (inmate vs CO). And a very important question is how long before backup arrives during an incident?

I have state/city COs in my family, and as one said, "You can try to explain the job to someone all day long, but until they are locked inside with the inmates, they can't really know and feel what its like," which made sense. You sort of have to try it out just to see if it works for you. So I'm more focused on learning the staffing and scheduling at the locations.

Unlike state and local agencies, info on BOP CO jobs is more like insider knowledge and harder to find. So any info is greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has contact info for HR at the facilities, much appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay008 View Post
        I live in FL and I'm considering FCC Coleman, FCI Miami, and FDC Miami. If anyone works at, or knows about these spots, please message me or reply. I've read about 50 pages back in this thread.

I would like to know more, mostly about rookie shift schedules, mandatory OT, on site FLETC training, inmate to CO ratios, and frequency of violent incidents (inmate vs CO). And a very important question is how long before backup arrives during an incident?

I have state/city COs in my family, and as one said, "You can try to explain the job to someone all day long, but until they are locked inside with the inmates, they can't really know and feel what its like," which made sense. You sort of have to try it out just to see if it works for you. So I'm more focused on learning the staffing and scheduling at the locations.

Unlike state and local agencies, info on BOP CO jobs is more like insider knowledge and harder to find. So any info is greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has contact info for HR at the facilities, much appreciated.
        I'm retired so I have time LOL. Your first year you are on what is referred to as "the Rookie Roster" Where you change jobs/shifts/days off every month. Some months you are at a designated "Training post" (usually a #2 position in a unit if a USP). then occasionally you will do a month of Sick and Annual where your days off, shift and job will change as you are extra or plugged into someone on vacation, off for sick leave or training.. At your year mark you usually do 3 months of Sick and Annual as your first full roster then can bid for a job which has job, shift and days off. When you are non probationary you bid by seniority and its for a 3 month roster (referred to as a quarterly roster)

Back up, most everyone is suppose to respond. At Coleman and FCI Miami it will be pretty quick. At an FDC can be a lot slower since FDC's are referred to as high rise's and there are multiple stories and elevators are utilized. There is a video of a staff assault from a FDC used for training that shows what you deal with on FDC response times.

Coleman will be off the hook on O/T. A USP take a lot more staff as the staff per inmate ratio is higher and there are #2 Officers in housing units. FCI's have 1 Officer (usually) per unit. One of my best friends was Associate Warden at Coleman and you could work about as much as you want. Not sure what their mandate schedule is like but its probably somewhat regular. As a Rookie not a lot you can do but be prepared

Coleman and FCI Miami will run somewhat similar as they are General Population units with controlled move for inmates to go to rec, work call, school (only mandated to get a GED in the FEDSs no college) medical or chow. And the inmates are usually there a while. Coleman USP 1 is a full blown USP so you'll see a lot. Coleman USP 2 is a drop out yard lots of high security inmates that have testified, dropped out of gangs and a lot of sex offenders so a Drop out yard is different. And Coleman runs institution roster so you get there they assign you one of the 4 joints and thats where you pretty much stay.

FDC Miami like all FDC's is different. Multiple stories and usually each floor has different security levels. The majority are pre trial detainees or inmates going to and from court so LOTS of Attorneys in and out. You will have a few that are sentenced and remanded to immediate custody that are basically waiting to get shipped to a designated institution. Also a perk I guess is at FDC's you don't have a lot of inmate property to deal with since they are not there that long to acquire the BS inmates have in a normal institution.

The BOP course at FLETC is a joke. Just pay attention and DO NOT get hemmed up with off duty drunken shenanigan's or females/males. More staff get fired over that than any academic issue. Its 3 weeks of mundane low security BS and if your at a USP they use to tell you to disregard. (and USP folks probably have seen more before they get there than a low FCI sees in a career). No matter how much some students say don't talk just answer how they want it and go back to your institution and revert to how they do things.

You will have about 4 to 5 days on the range with handgun, rifle and Remington 870. You won't be qualified for off duty LEOSA carry until you complete Glynco/FLETC.

The thing with BOP is while a lot of folks complain about some of the silliness yo9u will have more issues with staff members than inmates. You are required to give inmates what they have coming by BOP policy. From whatever they are allowed in their cells, to rec to medical to 3 meals a day etc. Don't have to agree but don't get them what they have coming is the fastest way to get hemmed up.

Staff....There are a lot of good staff but BOP is like any other agency or Military. they have to dumb stuff down (Institutional Inbreeding) for that bottom 10% of staff. And you'll see some personalities so antiquated it's like you stepped back into the year 1849. Just don't mentor behind those guys. You have the other 80% that do the right thing and the 10% that really strive to do better each time. Like everything don't let the stuff (or people) you can't control get to you. Don't bring home issues to work or work issues home and your fine!

Good luck

Comment

• Jay008
          Jay008 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you very much for the info. I have some more questions.

1. To clarify, if I first get placed at USP II for example, I only work there permenently? What if I want to transfer to the medium joint or they have someone out sick at USP I?
          2. Have you heard any rumors of BOP making the covid vaccine mandatory for staff?
          3. If a CO gets injured in an incident and they can't work for 1 or 2 months, do they get full pay for worker's comp? Do they get a settlement check for permanent partial loss of use, like some other agencies provide?
          4. Do COs get paid during government budget shutdowns, or are they forced to work unpaid?
          5. I read its much harder to get hired at FCI Miami. Is it a waste of time to put it as my first choice? I've ruled out FDC Miami.

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

I'm retired so I have time LOL.
        I see the old PrisonOfficer.org site is gone........................
        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• in625shooter
          in625shooter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah guess Corey tired of being the only one running it. Besides it seemed most of the new posts were inmate families making accounts and asking stuff

Had a lot of good info and stories with folks there. Sad it's gone!

• Iowa #1603
          Iowa #1603 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep..............I hadn't tried to log in for a couple weeks. But I don't think I had seen a decent post in months

I would imagine the rent for the site came up.....

• Does anyone know how often they pull a hiring list for Mendota? I came in as highly qualified on my rating which I know doesn’t guarantee anything, but I’m curious since they are one of those facilities offering incentives. I applied last month and haven’t heard anything.

Comment

• FCI Miami is one of the most dysfunctional institutions in this agency. It is filled with incompetent staff who file EEOs to get promoted. You are better off starting out at a USP, learn how to do things the right way, and then transfer down to a low.

Comment

• Delete....
            Last edited by NeverGiveUpTX; 03-18-2021, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• dangerr101
              dangerr101 commented
              Editing a comment
              Where does it mention incentive for FDC houston?

• Hey guys quick question, Once you are Firearm certified from FLETC does that certification count as a pistol permit? Or will the person have to receive a permit from their local area?

Comment

• JZ71LT
              JZ71LT commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes you will be qualified under LEOSA after completing the firearms training at FLETC.

• in625shooter
              in625shooter commented
              Editing a comment
              Your credentials are your permit under LEOSA HOWEVER comma, it gives you no special powers other than to carry in all 50 states and US Territories . The BOP Attorney will touch on it at Glynco

• Your credentials that say “Law Enforcement Officer” on them are your notice to others of being under LEOSA. That is all you need, in theory.

Comment

• I have a question regarding transferring and seniority.

Say, hypothetically, in four years I decide I want leave the BOP and transfer to another agency within the Feds. Would I start fresh in that agency in terms of seniority? Or would it be since I have four years already in the feds that I would get better picks at shifts, etc., even though I am a rookie in that agency?

Comment

• You don’t transfer to another agency. You are hired. As a previous fed without a break in service, that is , say you go from BOP right to ATF, you keep your vacation time and rate of accrual, often your pay will be matched. As far as seniority goes, you start over. You also might have to serve another probationary period as well.

Comment

• hopefulfedle
                  hopefulfedle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for the response!

• And your FERS (retirement) transfers as well.

Comment

• I heard a little bird tell me the BOP is going to open the GL-9 position to officers who work at USP’s and make Lieutenant’s GL-11 - GL-12 (only at the USP’s). Anyone who is currently employed heard of this?

Comment

• in625shooter
                    in625shooter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That has been going around but different versions for years I doubt any truth to it but woukd be a nice perk .

Yeas ago around 2003 there was a oush by ikd schook USP Wardens to make 8 an automatic thing at ISOs ut as they (Central Office) was all about money (there was only 1 officer oer USP housing unit and OC was a LT only thing back then) it never fell through.

I know the Warden at Leavenworth at that time caused he director grief as they had an 8 board for 5 and he promoted everybody that BQd for it. Aroundi 30 staff Downside they didnt have an 8 board for **** ever because of that and they downgraded custody in 2005 so they lost the USP staffing numbers.

So it would be nice but sounds like a regergitation if the past

• in625shooter
                    in625shooter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will add the Captain that was at Leavenworth at the time the pish for automatic 8's at USPs is the current Director so it might have more validity. And 8 was automatic back in the 80's so we will see

• Yungstar713
                    Yungstar713 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol bro thats a rumor thats been going around for ever. Im at the point with bop especially right now were things change everyday and new rumors spread its just a when it happens it happens it has to happen for me to believe it these days.

• What’s interesting about this rumor is the wardens are informing the new employees (IF class) the new Director is pushing this for USP’s. At first when I heard this I was like “Bull Chit” but I started hearing this rumor all over the place to include lieutenants. I spoke to a brand new staff member who just started started last week say the complex warden told her IF class that the new director is going to make it happen. But I still don’t believe it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3508 users online. 264 members and 3244 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X