Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in625shooter its new. My joint just hired a class of all 10 7-1s who had experience from private prisons. Its dumb because the class before that was all 6s and if you look at the application the qualifications to apply for a 7 are the same as a 6 so they might as well get rid of coming in as a 6 if they are now hiring 7s if qualifications are exactly the same.

Comment

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      Silly. When I hired at an old school stand alone USP you had to have 9-14 years in to even make the desk as an 8. Bow if a kid diesnt get it i 3 years they cry like a baby Now rhis BS will have them feeling more entitled a lot sooner. Just my experience

• Yungstar713
      Yungstar713 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea its dumb i mean i came in as a 6 but if you ask me its desperation of the agency to hire people especially at my complex our turnover rate is so high this 7 stunt they pulled was pure desperation. Your right its sad thats all i hear from people with 4-5 years in i hate it here because im still not an 8 they wont give me my 8.

• I started with BOP earlier this month and I gotta say that I’m happy I made the move from my last agency. Before covid, what was the average amount of times you were mandated?

Comment

• Yungstar713
      Yungstar713 commented
      Editing a comment
      Depends on the joint honestly. Complexes with a usp are normally mando heavy stand alones are not to bad if fully staffed.

• I got my firm offer and EOD today, looking forward to starting. Thanks to everyone that answered questions and provided information about the position. It was very helpful.

Comment

• Florida_Man
      Florida_Man commented
      Editing a comment
      DOTfed20 congrats dude. Where you headed?

• DOTfed20
      DOTfed20 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, and I was hired at USP Atwater

• Lonestargrizzly
      Lonestargrizzly commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations.
      I just got a conditional offer at USP Atwater 2 weeks ago.
      Completed the SF85P paperwork and sent it in, then corrected an issue on it and then resubmitted.
      Was hoping to start on 8/30, but from what you’re saying I may be lucky to start on 9/30.
      Haven’t heard back from them though so that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

• How long for the federal background checks to go through? Last thing I’m waiting on before a firm and date..

Comment

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      You are given an interim in short order to start working. Your main clearance and face to face BGI interview wont happen until a few months in. Most cases you are cleared well within your firat year (6-9 months)

Seen a couple earlier and one or two that slightly exceed their first yeae.. And yes if its over your year and its negative you'll be asked to resign.

But those days of folks geting bad BG checks and walked out are not as bad as they use to be. They have done a better job of screening folks. And eased uo nk on some crwdit things after the 2008 recession So if your allowed to start you should be good.

• JZ71LT
      JZ71LT commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine didn't clear until about 4 months in, and I'm one of the few at my place that met with an investigator prior to EOD.

• Camelbak
      Camelbak commented
      Editing a comment
      I was working for a year and a half before I was contacted by my BI. By then I was already going to another agency, so they just canceled it. lol

• To anyone that went through the orientation when you first EOD, any insight as what they are covering? program statements? do's ad don'ts? do you end up doing a full tour of the facility or is it discover as you go?

Comment

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      Its callwd Institution Familiarization or IF 2 weeks of boredom. First day sign a ton of papers. AW and exec staff give you their BS Code of Conduct commom sense. (don't get drunk and stupid so LE snatches you etc)

They will go over the BOP mission etc. Some IFs are better than others. I use to teach it and covered the Policy then covered the rest of the story. 3 prisons act etc.. Use of Force dos and don't etc. They will (or should) go over radio use, body alarms, response actions etc. Fit you for your vest and Certify you on OC and how to check out equipment.

While it can be boring enjoy it as you have no responsiblity other than a small test but its easy. It can also be entertaining as every class with more than 6 people has "That Guy" that one ups any story. A class of 10 to 15 probably has 2 of them. Don't be That Guy Nobody cares and will go the other way when they see him

Good luck

At some point you will get a tour
      Last edited by in625shooter; 07-28-2020, 11:36 AM.

• Sounds like typical fed orientation. Thanks for the insight, that still sounds like they give you a good bit of info.
    I wonder since I’m at a stand-alone USP with a camp if they put you with an OJI or mentor as opposed to seeing different people do different posts.

Comment

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      The issue with BOP is thwre are 122 institutions and 180 different ways and thats not because of sexuriry level. At any USP housin units have 2 staff per howevwr this wasnt standard until 2013. So you will have a paetnwr.

How we do it is the first week out of IF we assign eookies ro OJT and split the shifts so your 4 hours with a compound, 4 hours with a corridor Then next day in a unit for a few and another post for a few etc

Then at the wnd of that week you will be plughed into the roster. Usually a housing unit and we pull seasoned ataff to run corridor or conteol etc.

Youll be on the rookie roster changing shifts and hobs every month. for your first year. You'll either have a specific jon and days off thats a training post OR youll be sick and annual changing day to day.

• Anyone know if FPC Pensacola is hiring, how down in staff they are, how often they review hire certificates, any general hiring information related to them at all, how easy it is to lateral transfer to them rather than direct hire, etc? If they've been hit with coronavirus? Just curious.

Also curious if anyone can tell me a bit about how Coleman runs? Especially with corona?

Comment

• Florida_Man
      Florida_Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I work at Coleman. When you apply to Coleman, they will place you wherever they need you. You don’t get to choose if you want to work at the women’s wcc, low, medium or either USP. Once you are placed in that institution, you are there for your career. Only way you can swap out is if you transfer to another prison or if you promote to an 8 within Coleman and at that point you may get the opportunity to go to another facility within if available. If you start at USP-1, you will have some leverage over other officers since what you experience in once month the low will experience in one year. It’s a great time to come in for training purposes since they are on lockdown most of the time.

• Yungstar713
      Yungstar713 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey florida man you guys dont run off a complex roster at coleman?

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      Racecar, At last count all Complexes that have more than 2 institutions do an inatiturion roster. They sort of have to as it gets way to far off the hook with scheduling. I'm at a 2 institution complex with a xomolex roatwr and was a big enough PITA when I was a LT to fill spots.

• KJB
      KJB commented
      Editing a comment
      When I started Victorville in 2012 and until I left in 2019, we used a Complex roster. Each LT fills the spots for his facility or one LT fills everything for the Complex, it just depended on how many spots to fill.

• Just applied. Lately, what's the application timeline looking like? Will the background investigation stuff go faster if I already have a top secret from the National Guard?

Comment

• crap shoot
      crap shoot commented
      Editing a comment
      Still going to fill put an SF85P Tier 4 BI 7yrs back.
      It all helps having prior BIs.

• DOTfed20
      DOTfed20 commented
      Editing a comment
      it took me a month from interview to final offer, and another month to EOD. I've seen similar timelines on here in previous posts

• Signal108M
      Signal108M commented
      Editing a comment
      I joined BOP with an active DoD Secret. Still had to do SF-85P as there is still no automatic reciprocity (despite Congress’s expressed desire for it). At least e-Qip had saved all my prior information and repopulated the form. I just had to update a few items. Took 15 months before I sat down with the background investigator to close it out.

• To go off of what Signal108M said, I have an active secret clearance and they want to do the whole thing over again as well, and its only 2 years old. the difference with me is I "sat down" (talked over the phone because this is COVID-19 times) with the investigator a day after my firm offer, so it appears experiences may vary.

Comment

• Anyone know much about recruitment at Pensacola or transferring to them? How does transferring work anyway in the BOP?

Comment

• Signal108M
        Signal108M commented
        Editing a comment
        “Generally,” you find a vacancy on USAJOBs.gov. Many BOP vacancies are open just to current employees, not to the general public. Let your Captain know and they can vouch for you to the prospective new supervisor. Transfers are simpler than joining up. Usually you need to serve at least one year at a given location before they’ll consider you for an internal transfer, although the generic Office of Personnel Management standard is 90 days.

• Is there a list of who is and who isn't hiring? I'm juggling my #1 priority because apparently that is the only one that really matters when they pull a list. Every place I'm interested I've called and they said they expect to pull a list before the end of the year, but I feel like I am missing them each time they come up.

Is there a trick to it?
      Last edited by 2ndXthecharm; 08-01-2020, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• in625shooter
        in625shooter commented
        Editing a comment
        Its been mentioned several timea here. About every FCC is running active recruitment. Below is the link off BOP.GOV

My advise pick one thats actively hiring and stick with it Do not keep changing locations as you might change from one thats getting ready to pull to one that just did. And nothing against HR but somtimes when you call you can get obsolete info as to where that institution is at on the hiring process

https://www.bop.gov/jobs/positions/i...%20Officer&t=2
        Last edited by in625shooter; 08-02-2020, 11:00 PM.

• Really good advice here, appreciate people taking the time to offer it. Sounds like the places listed as having hiring incentives all have multiple positions.

I applied to a FDC near me as my first choice. Emailed HR this weekend to find out if there were openings. HR got back to me today, said there were openings and that I was on the best qualified list for GL-5 and GL-6, and that I'd probably be getting an OF-5 form soon. They aren't hiring at GL-7, which I hear is very rare anyway. They said could have a start date within a few weeks or a couple months of the interview/screening, which seems awfully fast.

Does anyone have tips on the best way to advance to an SIS or SIA position eventually? I understand that I'd not be eligible until GL-8 for those jobs, but was wondering how long I actually need in to be competitive. I have a law degree, have been a criminal prosecutor for a few years (mainly writing warrants and helping out with some investigations), but no prior LE or correctional experience.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello, appreciate that info. I'm very open to a BOP law job as well, I just haven't seen them hiring in awhile. But not sure if being a civil attorney for BOP will help me move onto a 0083 or 1811 job someday. But it would definitely help me stop the age timer and I think it'd be fulfilling too. Mainly I think I want to work more closely with law enforcement or correctional officers, even if I'm not doing a ton of investigating or custody work. The cool thing about the civil service jobs with BOP is that they're all considered correctional officers too, which I like the idea of.

• in625shooter
        in625shooter commented
        Editing a comment
        Winter, If your serious about BOP Apply for an Attorney position Theres always spots open but be flexible and open as you might have to move. But if you have a Law degree I'd recommend applying for the FBI and other 1811 spots as you'll start out GS 10 (FBI anyway) and get automatic promotions to the 12 and 13 levels where BOP you do not You will probably have more job satisfaction as well.

If you choose BOP, As far as transfering once your in BOP DO NOT transfer to any 0083 as you will loose your LE retirement.

good luck

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate the reply, Shooter. I'm itching to get out of my current job (very much "hug a thug" mentality). Have applied to a lot of 1811 and AUSA jobs, but not sure if/when I'll hear much back. I'm really interested in BoP too though. I'll keep an eye out for BoP attorney openings, hadn't seen any for a couple months.

Did not know I'd lose BoP retirement by going 0083 at another agency. Would I also lose retirement then if I went to an 1811 job in another agency after being a 0007 CO?

Do you think I should hold out for a BoP attorney job, or take a BoP CO job and do a year before looking again for BoP attorney openings? Have an interview lined up for a GL-6 job at an FDC near me. Thanks

• in625shooter
        in625shooter commented
        Editing a comment
        Let me articulate. You oose your LE retirement if you go to 0083 Which means with BOP and an 1811 you are Fed LE (they call it a 6C retirement) so you earn 1.7% per year for first 20 then revert to 1% after 20 for 34%. You have to work 20 years to retire at age 50 or retire any age with 25 years (so if you gire in at age 28 you have to do 22 years of service) At 25 years youd go out with 39%.And you can't stay past 57 (they are giving waivers but thats a temp thing as they neglected filling spots)

Regular FERS retirement is 1% per year but you can't retire til 62 without a 5% penalty per year (for my year of birth I could rwtire at age 57 but would have a 25% hit on my % in regular FERS

Your retirement with FED LE is your % plus Theift Sacings plus Social Security Supplement.(supplement is about half if whT your Social Sec will be at 62 then reverts to regular social security when you can receive it)

Regular non LE FERS dame except lower % per years and no supplement but when your retirement elegible you get 100% of social security anyway.

Also if you jave any active duty mikitary you can "buy that back" and get 1% for each year You still have to do a minimum or 20 but get the % like you did more.

As far as agencies Id look at the FBI as they list the agent jobs by specialty. Like Computer science, Attorneys, etc
        And shotgun some to other agencies as well.

Good luck

• Does anyone know if BOP will allow you to retake the Core Values Assessment again?

Comment

• Double post
        Last edited by in625shooter; 08-06-2020, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Showtime0811 View Post
          Does anyone know if BOP will allow you to retake the Core Values Assessment again?
          Unless the new Director changes it you can only take the CVA teat once a year.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4593 users online. 291 members and 4302 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X