Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last time I read the LEOSA law it said, you MAY carry and if AUTHORIZED by the agency to carry firearms. The way I interpret it is, you can legally carry but your employer may have your job if you do so on your credentials alone, without their approval.

As far as I'm concerned you can carry and I'm not going to call your warden to see if can or cannot. You're even covered under Georgia's law. But I can understand the frustrations with it all. I worked as a CO in Florida in the past. Florida's law, at that time, basically said we could carry if the department allowed it. Of course they said no too.

I like the idea of LEOSA but there's just to many exceptions to the law for my comfort. There appears to be better protection or exemptions under the licensed carry laws in the variuos states with reciprocal agreements.

Comment

• I agree there is to many exceptions to leosa and when your agency such as the BOP has no policy on it and simply states there staff are covered under leosa but as a agency don't like the law makes it very difficult on there staff.

Comment

• I dont know why you guys are making this so complicated. It's really not that hard. LEOSA authorizes bop staff to carry because they technically meet the definition of a "law enforcement officer." But if you get in any kind of incident, you're on your own. THE AGENCY WILL NOT BACK YOU IN ANY KIND OF WAY. You will be acting as a private citizen.

The BOP doesn't authorize off duty carry because then, they would be liable for the actions of their employees, and they dont trust their employees, so they won't do that. They dont trust their employees because they have low hiring standards, which means they have to make their training really easy so that most people can pass it. That is the truth and the BOP is not going to change. If you dont like that reality, time for a new agency.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keyturner View Post
          I dont know why you guys are making this so complicated. It's really not that hard. LEOSA authorizes bop staff to carry because they technically meet the definition of a "law enforcement officer." But if you get in any kind of incident, you're on your own. THE AGENCY WILL NOT BACK YOU IN ANY KIND OF WAY. You will be acting as a private citizen.

The BOP doesn't authorize off duty carry because then, they would be liable for the actions of their employees, and they dont trust their employees, so they won't do that. They dont trust their employees because they have low hiring standards, which means they have to make their training really easy so that most people can pass it. That is the truth and the BOP is not going to change. If you dont like that reality, time for a new agency.
          Spot on!

Comment

• The BOP FLETC training is easy that is true actually the training really is a joke. Now after you have your year in with the BOP they offer some additional training if selected to attend that is good. In my area which is Kentucky I have worked at every institution in Kentucky the hiring standards are not that low compared to Kentucky law enforcement standards or it seems that way, I seen local police, sheriff deputies and even KSP not get hired by the BOP due to their background investigation or credit and seen some get fired due to their background investigation after being hired on and working. The BOP does their background investigation different that other agencies they conduct a very basic background investigation before you actually start then conduct a more in depth background investigation after hiring there staff which can take a year or more sometimes to get completed. I have also just recently seen two staff get fired one for being dirty and one who did not pass his background investigation due to not stating that when he was younger he had sold drugs, both were prior police locally and after being fired by the BOP was hired back by their former agencies and are on the street working as law enforcement again. Am I saying the BOP hard to get hired on at no , right now at my institution we are trying to hire and will take anyone with a heart beat that can pass the background investigation and credit portion of the hiring process due to the fact no one is applying and we are one the highest paying jobs in the area.
            Last edited by bopstaff15; 12-15-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keyturner View Post
              I dont know why you guys are making this so complicated. It's really not that hard. LEOSA authorizes bop staff to carry because they technically meet the definition of a "law enforcement officer." But if you get in any kind of incident, you're on your own. THE AGENCY WILL NOT BACK YOU IN ANY KIND OF WAY. You will be acting as a private citizen.

Heyturer, agreed and respectfully a few of us have stated this very thing over and over throughout this thread (maybe it should have had is own) but some want to bring up doom.and gloom blanket statement because some AW or Exec staff at their joint tried to say BOP is not covered.

Hell you have AW and Wardens that don't know what's allowed under use if force so by law of averages some would jack LEOSA up! Anyone in BOP for any length have seen it, wether you want to correct the dummies or buy into it and regurgitate bad info and have topics repeated every so often is up to them

Comment

• Anyone know of or hear of getting "relocation expenses reimbursed?" I know the announcements usually say no, but that doesn't mean it hasn't ever happened. Also, recruitment retention bonus?

Comment

• Keyturner
                  Keyturner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a definite no

• in625shooter
                  in625shooter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Usually relocation reimbursement is for staff already employed moving for a promotion for staff within BOP moving to an activating institution. It will say in the job announcement if relocation expenses are reimbursed.

I have also seen several announcements for BOP nationwide that are not paid moves. Always read the fine print

• Just had my interview at Danbury yesterday. Quick question for those who have had their interview. Did you send a thank you email? With all other interviews I have had in the civilian sector, I sent thank you emails but I am wondering if I should do so for the BOP.

Comment

• Rmodel1965
                  Rmodel1965 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didn't send one when I interviewed 4 years ago

• JZ71LT
                  JZ71LT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did not.

• themoj0
                  themoj0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No. The LT or HR person or both, dont really care.

• FCC Coleman is having a job fair January 21, 2020 at 8:00am.
                Last edited by pissedoff; 12-19-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• How in advance will they notify you of a start date ?

Comment

• JZ71LT
                    JZ71LT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I got about 3 weeks notice before I started.

• image_17240.png This is the last email I received

Comment

• ChrisQuirolo
                    ChrisQuirolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hearing test. You sit in a little booth and click a button when you hear a series of 3 beeps (all at different decibels) That and the drug test were the last steps from what I remember.

• When did they start doing hearing tests? We just had an officer start that wears hearing aids

Comment

• Originally posted by Rmodel1965 View Post
                    When did they start doing hearing tests? We just had an officer start that wears hearing aids
                    When I started in in 2000 the hearing test consisted of if you heard the friggin Dr or PA when they asked you questions. This was a stand alone ISP and we had Officer with a prosthetic arm that I would have taken to a fight any day.

They make it sound way more formal than it really is.

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

When I started in in 2000 the hearing test consisted of if you heard the friggin Dr or PA when they asked you questions. This was a stand alone ISP and we had Officer with a prosthetic arm that I would have taken to a fight any day.

They make it sound way more formal than it really is.
                      SIDE NOTE............I was a STATE CO/Supervisor not BOP

I worked with a guy who had a prosthetic arm and another with a prosthetic leg.

The guy with the artificial arm qualified with handgun and later became a transport officer for the local SO....and qualified under Iowa Law Enforcement standards for officer handgun. & yes, you wouldn't want to fight him

Cops in Iowa are allowed to wear hearing aides per Iowa Law Enforcement Academy standards
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Just checked my status on USAJobs and it changed from referred to not hired. I feel bummed out over this. I interviewed at FCI Danbury on 12/16.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11662 users online. 474 members and 11188 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X