Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. On my post about resigning under unfavorable circumstances, does anyone know how much recency factors into suitability for your clearance? I resigned free and clear, but do recent allegations of unsatisfactory performance and a recent resignation determine me unfit? Wondering what the guideline is on that.

Comment

• Correctional Officer grooming standards:

I noticed CO's when I was at the USP with long hair and full beards. Is there any sort of grooming standards for employees with the BOP?

Comment

• Originally posted by ****edoff View Post
        Correctional Officer grooming standards:

I noticed CO's when I was at the USP with long hair and full beards. Is there any sort of grooming standards for employees with the BOP?
        No, there are some Wardens with beards and goatees. Nobody cares just keep it clean. The one exception is if required to be SCBA trained (LTs SORT etc) have to shave one a year for the fit test.

Other than that your free to do what you want.

Comment

• pissedoff
          pissedoff commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I just didn't want to show up my first day and be told I needed to shave.

• in625shooter
          in625shooter commented
          Editing a comment
          Beards and such are fine. Business casual (no Khaki colored pa ts as you don't know when you will go inside the fence for a tour etc) You'll see a few staff that are in threads, Union apparel and everything but a uniform. Don't follow their lead. Your first year anyway.

• Anyone working at Coleman, or have direct knowledge about operations please PM me, thank you.
        "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

• Always nice to see the employees match the inmates in clothing and appearance...

So professional.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• pissedoff
            pissedoff commented
            Editing a comment
            During my tour of the prison last month all the CO’s were in the same uniform and wearing a vest that was the same color of the uniform. It looked ok to me.

• Question: in FLETC, do they let you go to the range and get extra practice in? i figure the gym would be open during the day, but if my marksman scores arent that great, it would be nice to be able to take extra training,
          I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. -Odin

Comment

• pissedoff
            pissedoff commented
            Editing a comment
            No. With that said I remember a few students were struggling with the firearms portion of the training and they went to a local range on the weekend to practice.

• ChrisQuirolo
            ChrisQuirolo commented
            Editing a comment
            You have plenty of practice to shoot the course of fire during training hours. They do have simulators at FLETC, but they were closed when I was there.

• ChrisQuirolo
            ChrisQuirolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't stress. The qualification is relatively easy. If you are struggling they instructors will take notice and work with you one on one.

• Originally posted by Knightwolf View Post
          Question: in FLETC, do they let you go to the range and get extra practice in? i figure the gym would be open during the day, but if my marksman scores arent that great, it would be nice to be able to take extra training,
          No on the range,but you shoot a Glock 17 so it's not hard (Glocks are not general nk issue but is what BOP uses at Glynco, long story)

As far ad the gym your free to use it but you have to wear their BS gym outfits and turn them in after your done.

Comment

• Knightwolf
            Knightwolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah im qualified on the Glock 23 so i guess a little less recoil will only help my score.

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

No on the range,but you shoot a Glock 17 so it's not hard (Glocks are not general nk issue but is what BOP uses at Glynco, long story)
          Id like to hear the story....

Comment

• Does anybody know if fort dix is still hiring?

Comment

• Does anyone know how to determine if you applied for a GL- 5 or 6 spot? I didn't know they were two separate postings. My HR is telling me I applied for the GL-5. I am qualified for the GL-6. But they're bringing me in as a 5. I do not understand this. I can't find anything that differs between the two. I thought it was just a straight 5 or 6 and then they brought you on according to what you were qualified for. Can anyone explain? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• pissedoff
                pissedoff commented
                Editing a comment
                Will they at least match you last federal pay?

• Originally posted by grass_34 View Post
              Does anyone know how to determine if you applied for a GL- 5 or 6 spot? I didn't know they were two separate postings. My HR is telling me I applied for the GL-5. I am qualified for the GL-6. But they're bringing me in as a 5. I do not understand this. I can't find anything that differs between the two. I thought it was just a straight 5 or 6 and then they brought you on according to what you were qualified for. Can anyone explain? Thanks in advance.
              There should have been a block for you to check on the announcement where you were asked if you wanted to be considered for both.

Now for reality. Since a out 2009 almost everyone with few exceptions have been brought on as GL 5. Experience doesn't matter as its purely Wardens discretion. And they are all about saving money.

However if your a transfer from another federal civilian agency you shouldn't lose money as they would place you at a 5 step 6 or whatever was close.

if you hire in as a 5 you would be caught up to someone by the start of your 3rd year that hired in as a 6 as you would both then be 7 step 3's.

Comment

• I'm going thru the hiring process at one prison. The other prison I listed on my USA jobs as applying for is also hiring. Would I be able to transfer to the other selected prison once my hiring process is complete or will I have to go ahead start at the prison I'm currently hiring on with and wait x amount of time before I can transfer to the other one? How does a transfer even work? Do you have to be off probation? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Co0311
                  Co0311 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think it's on a case by case basis. I've seen some transfers happen really quick. I think it helps if you're wanting to transfer back 'home.' I'd just wait and ask in your IF class. They'll probably tell you to wait longer and transfer for a promotion.

• Originally posted by grass_34 View Post
                I'm going thru the hiring process at one prison. The other prison I listed on my USA jobs as applying for is also hiring. Would I be able to transfer to the other selected prison once my hiring process is complete or will I have to go ahead start at the prison I'm currently hiring on with and wait x amount of time before I can transfer to the other one? How does a transfer even work? Do you have to be off probation? Thanks in advance.
                Have you been contacted to go through the hiring process for both prisons? If so, I would wait for the one you really want to go to. Once you get hired at a specific prison, it's not that easy to transfer. You usually have to wait till after probation and you have to wait till the other prison posts an announcement for transfers. Usually at the 6/7 grade. I guess you could reapply under the national announcement for the joint you really want as well. Really just depends on your situation. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM.

Comment

• Is there a way to express interest in more than two locations?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lady_Corrections View Post
                    Is there a way to express interest in more than two locations?
                    Sometimes prisons that really need people will post individual announcements that you can apply to. Other than that, not that I know of.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16757 users online. 476 members and 16281 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X