Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is appropriate attire for when u go in for the medical/UA?

Comment

• JZ71LT
      JZ71LT commented
      Editing a comment
      I wore a dress shirt and slacks.

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      Business casual, just try not to wear anything Khaki in color and as silly as it sounds to have to tell new people they still do it.

Good luck

• Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this thread. I BQd for GS-5 Correctional Officer (Non-Vereran) in June 2019, and I selected Victorville, CA as first choice and Los Angeles Metropolitan as my second choice. I've tried to stay in contact with HR, but was told that they (Victorville) are only taking veterans at this time.

Anyone have any insights on the process for civilians and maybe another facility I should inquire with? Do I wait for the call for an interview?

I'm very interested in getting hired by BOP as I know it can kickstart other federal and/or local LE careers. I am trying to stay local, because I have a kid, but if need be, I'll relocate for the long run benefit.

Thank You for any help in advance!

Comment

• Johnny4x4
      Johnny4x4 commented
      Editing a comment
      are you a current federal employee?

• Originally posted by Tjwright95 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this thread. I BQd for GS-5 Correctional Officer (Non-Vereran) in June 2019, and I selected Victorville, CA as first choice and Los Angeles Metropolitan as my second choice. I've tried to stay in contact with HR, but was told that they (Victorville) are only taking veterans at this time.

Anyone have any insights on the process for civilians and maybe another facility I should inquire with? Do I wait for the call for an interview?

I'm very interested in getting hired by BOP as I know it can kickstart other federal and/or local LE careers. I am trying to stay local, because I have a kid, but if need be, I'll relocate for the long run benefit.

Thank You for any help in advance!
    Not sure why Victorviille is Vet only, last I was aware they were really hurting g for staff numbers.

As far as actively hir iij ng I k ow Miman Michigan is having a large ho. Fair o. The 22nd coming up, Florence CO is always interviewing, Coleman Florida and probably a few others AFA local in Cali I'd say your other options would be Mwndota, Atwater and maybe Herlong. Not sure about how often LA, San Diego and Lompoc or Dublin hire. Hopefully someone with more insight there will know and pipe in

Good luck

Comment

• KJB
      KJB commented
      Editing a comment
      Victorville gets so many applications from vets that it's rare that anyone that isn't a vet can get in the door. I used to be a recruiter there. I know a guy that was trying to come over from the local GEO facility and I tried helping him out, probably around mid 2016, he wasn't a vet so not much could be done. I recently saw his brother and he said he was still trying to get into BOP.

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      That surprises me as th he sheer number of needed staff should out pace the vets applying but everyplace can be a little different.

Here we are running about 50/50 of Vets vs non prior. We have had a few retired vets go through the age waiver process but nothing in the numbers one would think.

• KJB
      KJB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, there is a lot of military in the area, 29 Palms, Fort Irwin, MCLB Barstow, etc.

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Not sure why Victorviille is Vet only, last I was aware they were really hurting g for staff numbers.

As far as actively hir iij ng I k ow Miman Michigan is having a large ho. Fair o. The 22nd coming up, Florence CO is always interviewing, Coleman Florida and probably a few others AFA local in Cali I'd say your other options would be Mwndota, Atwater and maybe Herlong. Not sure about how often LA, San Diego and Lompoc or Dublin hire. Hopefully someone with more insight there will know and pipe in

Good luck
    Thank you! Coincidentally, I was called by Victorville HR today to discuss the hiring process. HR is only accepting BQ GS-6 for Non-Veterans at this time and at the time of the call, I only was HQ for GS-6. They suggested that I reevaluate my assessment to see if I can score a BQ for GS-6 and call back (to which I did review and resubmit my assessment, without lying...I guess I just under evaluated my experience initially). Hopefully I can start the process soon now that I BQd for both GS-5 and GS-6. I will provide updates along the way.

Comment

• Haven't seen a timeline posted in awhile. Here's mine for info. I forget when I applied to the 2018 job announcement, but I never heard anything from it.

9/2018 - Applied to 2019 announcement
      4/18/19 - OF-5 submitted
      4/26/19 - CVA, interview, fingerprints
      5/17/19 - COE, UA/Physical
      5/21/19 - Received EQIP and completed
      7/18/19 - Background interview
      8/2/19- Firm offer received
      8/18/19- EOD

Comment

• ChrisQuirolo
        ChrisQuirolo commented
        Editing a comment
        BOP will give you your EOD. You will start at your facility and go to FLETC all before they conduct a complete background check. I met with my background investigator 6 months after hiring in. Atleast that's how my process went...

• JZ71LT
        JZ71LT commented
        Editing a comment
        ChrisQuirolo How do you know when your background fully clears? I met with the investigator last month. I received a call a few days ago with some follow up questions.

• dox1842
        dox1842 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had to wait for my background check to finish before they hired me. YMMV. With all the facilities being short as they are I would assume they would just go ahead and hire you then do the back ground.

• fedco95
        fedco95 commented
        Editing a comment
        you'll more than likely know while you are working. you will get a notice from HR saying that your background investigation is completed. Then a few days later EOPF will email you stating you have documents in your folder, which will state your background is done and adjudicated. Or you'll get an email from HR stating there was an issue and you have to come in an fix it, that or you'll be walked out because you didn't pass.

Mine took 6 months after I started to be completed.

• Do I have to wait til the Sept 2012-2020 posting to apply?

Comment

• KJB
        KJB commented
        Editing a comment
        No, you can apply whenever the announcement is open.

• Originally posted by MrAce View Post
      Do I have to wait til the Sept 2012-2020 posting to apply?
      Apply to the one now as they sometimes purge the announcement and do interviews off this list whe. It expires (they have 90 days to grow off it once it closes) but also apply to the new announcement whenever it starts. I have seen them pull off the new list pretty soon after it hits as well.

Comment

• What are some general tips to get ready for my CVA/interview? CVA is just sort of a personality assessment? Should I know some history on my facility?

Comment

• KJB
          KJB commented
          Editing a comment
          No history is required. Most of it is basic LE stuff, they might give you a scenario and ask how you would react. IF you have a bit of LE experience you should be fine, just be prepared to articulate why you answered however you answer.

• dox1842
          dox1842 commented
          Editing a comment
          its kind of a **** show. They will ask you procedural questions to see what you will do in certain situations but the thing is since you aren't hired you don't know their SOP yet so its kind of moot.

• Anyone work for Coleman? I am thinking of applying and have a few questions. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• In case I can be of help to anyone here, I am set to finish my first year at the end of this month, background cleared, working at an FCC, been rotated through all shifts and posts outside of SHU. If you're considering the job or about to EOD I'm happy to help with any questions you may have about your first year. Keep in mind, your experience obviously won't mirror mine but it's good to have an idea of what you're walking into. Good luck...

Comment

• So Lowe
            So Lowe commented
            Editing a comment
            How long is training? Not Glynco, I’m assuming we do class training on site before we go? What was the first day like for you?

• Jay017
            Jay017 commented
            Editing a comment
            Your IF training will be 2 weeks of powerpoint after powerpoint after powerpoint with very few(in my case) "hands-on" lessons scattered in. It was designed to teach you the job how its done on paper, however, this doesn't necessarily help you much on your first day/week/month. It's most useful for understanding what not to do.

My first day I was literally thrown the equipment and expected to figure it out. No on the job training just figure it out. In some ways it forces you to learn, in other ways it can be very intimidating straight out the gate because there's so many other things you would like to focus on instead of which key does what for example. And as much as they say "ask questions if you need help" no one wants to start out as the rookie constantly calling the LT for help. Hopefully, your institution will give you a couple of days or a week of OJT but if not just know that everything in the BOP is simple to do and easy to figure out so don't overthink it.

• BubbaD
            BubbaD commented
            Editing a comment
            How intensive was the background? I don't have anything to hide, but am just wondering how many years back they went and how many people did they talk to?

• ChrisQuirolo
            ChrisQuirolo commented
            Editing a comment
            After IF training (paperwork and PowerPoints) my experience was we shadowed a senior officer for a few hours typically to learn some of the officers daily paperwork, how to count, and basic layout of facility and the units. Then we would conduct massive shakedowns in housing units. IF training and OJT isn't really set up for you to learn how to do the job honestly. Be proactive and take advantage of whoever you are shadowing and ask questions. Most have a lot of experience.

• Finally in! Starting date 9/16/19 Fci Fort Dix. Anyone else work here? Any tips?

Comment

• JZ71LT
            JZ71LT commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations! First two weeks will be Institutional Familiarization. A lot of power points, and a little bit of on the job training for my class. First day was mostly new hire paperwork. Have your bank account info ready for direct deposit... Other than that we took photos for ID card and maybe watched a couple videos.

• KJB
            KJB commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations, I started Corrections 17 years ago that day. Last I heard Fort Dix was the biggest single BOP facility. I think they house upwards or 3 or 4 thousand inmates. I've been out of the BOP for a while now though.

• Desh-41
            Desh-41 commented
            Editing a comment
            Were you still on for the 16th? I spoke to HR and that date was changed apparently to the 30th.

• And after the first two weeks? Will it be like an 8-4? Thanks for ur response btw. Also on 7/18 what did that background interview consist of? I had the initial interview with the questions, met with a lady who asked me a couple background questions and that was it. Did my equip soon after, had to provide additional info then i got my bonafide offer.
          Last edited by So Lowe; 09-07-2019, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• KJB
            KJB commented
            Editing a comment
            Every month you should get a new post, you have to spend one month on each of the core shifts in the first year.

• Originally posted by So Lowe View Post
          And after the first two weeks? Will it be like an 8-4? Thanks for ur response btw. Also on 7/18 what did that background interview consist of? I had the initial interview with the questions, met with a lady who asked me a couple background questions and that was it. Did my equip soon after, had to provide additional info then i got my bonafide offer.
          Each institution might be slightly different but for the most part after the 2 weeks of IF you will probably have some OJT shadowing some staff at different jobs to get a feel. Usually on days. Then by week 3 you will start the rookie roster changing shifts, ho s and days off every 30 days. Some months you might have sick and annual where you change weekly. You will go to Glynco somewhere between 4-7 months (on average but there could be n exception)

After your year you get to bid by seniority and you stay in that job for 3 months then bid again (you will hear Union BS about they are doing away with the bid but th that's scare tactics and fear mongering. That's the one thing the Union gets right and the last thing the admin wants to change so don't buy into it)

Good luck
          Last edited by in625shooter; 09-08-2019, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Thanks so much! Ur always so helpful!!! I wonder if they have a ride share from nyc to Nj? Gonna look into it once I’m there.

Comment

• I’m currently trying to put an app in. I’m on USA Jobs and every time I try to click up uploaded resume to move to the next step it won’t let me click anything

Comment

• ChrisQuirolo
                ChrisQuirolo commented
                Editing a comment
                Try another web browser. IE, Chrome, or Firefox

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7589 users online. 229 members and 7360 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X