300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jay017 View Post
    Question, just completed IF and through the course of it numerous people were saying it’s entirely possible to transfer somewhere else within 6 months and I just want to have you guys fact check this because I’d like to move on to another facility as soon as possible. I intend to make it through FLETC first and then put in but not sure what the likelihood is if I’m still within that first year.

any insight?
    They are misinformed. While it might not specify there is hardly no chance to do a lateral until you are off probationary status so you have to have one year in. You can apply at around the 10 month mark because they will keep you for 6 pay periods (3 months) which puts you past 12 months.

The other hurdle you ha e to be eleigible to apply when the job closer. So if it's a GL 7 you have to have 52 weeks in as a 6 even though 7 is automatic.

And the last 9 years or so you ha e to actually apply through an announcement in USA jobs. (Before you just dropped a memo) but talk to a LT your Capt and AW or even Warden. Chances are they know someone at where you want to go. Calls are made and then an announcement comes up for a lateral. As long as one is not a lump they will help you

Good Luck

Comment

• I've seen a rookie with 3 months in get transferred "closer to home", and a guy in my IF class got his transfer after 10 months. It's rare, and most wardens want someone with **at least** a year in and a solid eval too. I moved over 2,000 miles to take a C/O job at a rockin' and rollin' USP, and it took me 2.5 years to get transferred back to the homestead joint back home. Good luck.

Comment

• Rmodel1965
        Rmodel1965 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep I just got home after three years. But I did tKe a promotion a little after a year in and moved way up north. But now I'm starting my 3rd duty station tomorrow at the beginning of my 4th year. I'm gonna put in for my 11-12 in a couple years and take a paid move next

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

I can tell you it's nore user friendly now than it was 18 plus years ago. Example. Today HR will go over a lot of show stopper questions like 2-3 times. If there is one e that comes up they will tell you how to either word it, fix it or tell you to come back later if it was like too soon (like a DUI last month and yes we get those applicants) .HR use to not do that. So while an Artical 15 was bot a show stopper if you disclosed it several have been terminated (or allowed to resign) when they didn't disclose it.

Same with past job discipline. One guy said he had like 3 write ups years ago the BGI quit counting at 17 times and reported there was a mahor inconsistent number. He gone!

So there are not the folks getting walked out at 6 months like there use to be when. I hired in.

The biggest thing that gets people is not the fact there was a speed bump but the fact they did not disclose it. That make the applicant look deceptive and is an integrety issue.

MJ use in the past, DYD, bankruptcy like 3 years ago etc is no big deal. If it was within the immediate past Maybe

Just disclose it. Because they will find out. They will obtain 3 Independent people you and your reference know that you did not list and get the real you stories.

Good luck
      Thanks in625shooter, for the honest and very thorough answer.

I certainly would not have an issue disclosing anything. I actually used to be a BOP officer for about 6 months before that I was a county correctional officer. I resigned with the BOP to local municipal officer in Idaho. I ended up getting fired from that job for a domestic related arrest, my ex got arrested and convicted. I got arrested plead to battery and DC on a "deferment" I got county probation and the charges have now been dismissed. I have no other incidents, but figured even with prior experience it is a very long shot to even consider being hired by the BOP again. I have a Master's degree in CJ, as well as a Bachelors in CJ and Psych. I am pretty sure that does not mean anything and I probably do not have a shot. I just wanted to see what other people thought. I have purchase a legal firearm since the charges were dismissed and I am thinking about applying again to BOP, local county jail, or even private correctional facilities. Any insight would be greatly appreciated if you think I might stand a chance at getting hired again. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by fedrus View Post

Thanks in625shooter, for the honest and very thorough answer.

I certainly would not have an issue disclosing anything. I actually used to be a BOP officer for about 6 months before that I was a county correctional officer. I resigned with the BOP to local municipal officer in Idaho. I ended up getting fired from that job for a domestic related arrest, my ex got arrested and convicted. I got arrested plead to battery and DC on a "deferment" I got county probation and the charges have now been dismissed. I have no other incidents, but figured even with prior experience it is a very long shot to even consider being hired by the BOP again. I have a Master's degree in CJ, as well as a Bachelors in CJ and Psych. I am pretty sure that does not mean anything and I probably do not have a shot. I just wanted to see what other people thought. I have purchase a legal firearm since the charges were dismissed and I am thinking about applying again to BOP, local county jail, or even private correctional facilities. Any insight would be greatly appreciated if you think I might stand a chance at getting hired again. Thanks in advance.
        I wouldn't sweat it. There is more than BOP out there. There was a solid guy that hired in here basically in your similar circumstances with an ex causing drama. He was asked to resign over som BS from the ex making a claim a no contact order was violated . He immediately got hired by the State Police and has been a Trooper for over 14 years. So there are greener pastures.

While BOP isn't bad it's not for everyone and several of us have migrated to it.

Good luck

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

I wouldn't sweat it. There is more than BOP out there. There was a solid guy that hired in here basically in your similar circumstances with an ex causing drama. He was asked to resign over som BS from the ex making a claim a no contact order was violated . He immediately got hired by the State Police and has been a Trooper for over 14 years. So there are greener pastures.

While BOP isn't bad it's not for everyone and several of us have migrated to it.

Good luck
          Thanks, that does give me hope I think I am going to reapply and kind of see what happens. I really appreciate your perspective and the immediate feedback has allowed me to set myself forward. I might apply for AUSP Thomson here in Illinois I see they are hiring. Thanks again.

I forgot to mention that I moved to Illinois to get a fresh start.
          Last edited by fedrus; 10-10-2018, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• Does anyone know whats it like working for a FMC? Just got an email saying they’re hiring but its a Medical Center with COs? Any info would help.

Comment

• Originally posted by venedeaz View Post
              Does anyone know whats it like working for a FMC? Just got an email saying they’re hiring but its a Medical Center with COs? Any info would help.
              FMc(Federal Medical Center) or USMCFP (US Medical Center for Federal Prisonors Springfield MO) is a prison that has a high percentage of medical staff. They can do more I house treatments for inmates with medical needs than a traditional prison

FMCs have every security level. And usually lots of OT.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10220 users online. 360 members and 9860 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X