300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LevelHeaded View Post
    Hey just finished Fletc on Thursday, let me know if anyone has any questions.
    how many in your class got winded running the quarter mile?

Comment

• LevelHeaded
      LevelHeaded commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I honestly don’t think any of the physical fitness test are hard. I think all the other agencies do like 1.5 miles I’m like 15mins something like that.

• KJB
      KJB commented
      Editing a comment
      Hell the Border Patrol Agent wasn't even that hard.

• Fullblown
      Fullblown commented
      Editing a comment
      How fast do you need to complete the quarter mile to pass? Is there an end of course PT test you need to complete to graduate, if so what does it entail? Thanks.

• LevelHeaded
      LevelHeaded commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe you had like 2mins and 30 seconds something like that nothing to hard everyone passed from my class and we had some big people lol. No end of course pt test you just do that one your second day and your good.

• Originally posted by dox1842 View Post
    Yeah I honestly don’t think any of the physical fitness test are hard.
    BOP = belly over pants

Comment

• LevelHeaded
      LevelHeaded commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it’s sad, when I would meet people from other agencies they legit didn’t believe I was BOP. I mean we’re not all sloppy or out of shape.

• Any ideas on which facilities are actually hiring? Next week the current announcement will close and I just want to pick one I might hear from.

Comment

• A300!
      A300! commented
      Editing a comment
      I applied right around when the announcement opened in March. I might have updated the application but still never heard anything.

• Rmodel1965
      Rmodel1965 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ausp Thompson

• Rmodel1965
      Rmodel1965 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have a food service background of any type. Search ws-7404-08 for oxford. They are down at least 2 cook foreman. And it's open to the public

• Reddevil2006
      Reddevil2006 commented
      Editing a comment
      FCI Sandstone in Minnesota.

• Originally posted by KLJG View Post
    Hello.

Couple questions.

I became a State CO for ODRC (Ohio) about a year ago, I have a month to go before completing my probationary period. I mainly became a state CO for experience to then apply to BOP, to get my feet wet in a federal job and go from there. Since state hires fast (at least at the time) I went that route first. Mind you I don’t really want to be a CO, just did it as a plan to get into a fed job, I wanted to start some where fast.

My question is, with State co experience, will BOP look at me favorably? Or are my chances the same as anyone else since I only have 1 year exp?

Question 2, should I work another year or 2 for more experience, or just apply now?

Question 3, how many of you have had success moving from BOP to another federal job?

I appreciate any info you guys can provide.
    I'll answer this even though it's a few months old, maybe the info will be applicable to others.

1. State experience can be helpful but it seems the state prisons tend to be run differently from Club Fed, ahem, the BOP. The best thing you could do is come to the BOP with an open mind willing to learn the FED way rather than try to push your state experience on people with many years in the FED. Someone in your shoes should be able to at least qualify as a GL06 correctional officer instead of a GL05.

2. For anyone in this situation, get in the feds as soon as you can! So many things are dependent on your EOD date, the sooner you get in the better.

3. We have plenty of people going to all sorts of other three letter agencies in more "high speed" positions but honestly, why would you want to? Having come from another three letter agency to the BOP I definitely think we have it really good. I hear people complain all the time and I just shake my head and say "really?" There are so many opportunities in the BOP, as an officer or not. Don't want to work as a correctional officer sitting in a housing unit? Move to a non-custody position, still collect all of your law enforcement benefits and work a 4 day compressed schedule with nights, holidays and three day weekends off. I came to the BOP from a non LEO position with the intention of moving on to some high speed agency but as soon as I got here I realized how good of a situation it is, how much opportunity there is and how well employees are treated by management and I'm not the only one who thinks so. If you don't agree with me on the management thing, you've probably never worked for another agency or you're most likely the problem yourself.

Comment

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      What some truly find enjoyable others will absolutely hate. I personally can’t see working in a prison as an enjoyable job but to each their own.

The only upside about BOP is that it is a covered position. The pay is pretty much the bottom of the barrel when compared to other covered positions.

Just my 2 cents

• Keyturner
      Keyturner commented
      Editing a comment
      IMO, it's all about what you really want. Some people are comfortable in the BOP and it isn't a bad gig. Easy job, decent pay. But if you're looking for more, there are definitely better funded agencies out there that will give you better training and actually treat you like an adult. And pay you more of course, but along with that, they expect a little more out of you. To each his own

• KLJG
      KLJG commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. I'm still interested but haven't applied. I'm not entirely sure what to do right now in terms of where to work after ODRC. As of right now I got an email from NYC environmental police for the agility test, from a written exam I took 2 years ago. I've gotten NYPD and NYDOC emails to start physical tests too. But i'm no longer interested in living in NYC to be honest, the rent is terrible.

I'm still interested in working for BOP, but i'm def staying as a state CO for another year. I have told myself that i'd stay here 3 years max before I even I applied to this job.

Also, from reading this forum a lot, I've read that no new hire gets hired at GL06? I read that everyone starts at GL05? And btw why does the job posting say "promotional potential GL07", but it goes all the way up to 15 on the payscale? I assume that the higher one's (GL9+) are positions like Sgt, Lt, Capt, Unit manager(?), Case manager(?), Dep warden, Warden, etc, but what about GL8, what is that and why is it not included in the promotional potential?

• When they having you work sick and annual, what position is that? Or you won’t know till you get to work where you working at?

Comment

• KJB
      KJB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sick and annual is where you fill in for people that are on sick/annual leave or are otherwise not present. Sometimes you get put on a post for a week or two sometimes for just half the shift at one post and the other half in another post.

• swill323
      swill323 commented
      Editing a comment
      May depend on the institution or who your admin LT. is. Where I work you can submit your preferred posts, shifts, days off, and they try and work with you depending on your seniority. Sometimes you can look at your roster and your next 3 weeks will have posts filled in. Sometimes it will be vague until the day of, or they'll switch you the day of.

• Originally posted by Ty808 View Post
    or they'll switch you the day of
    My favorite is when they change the shift without telling you and then call you up and wonder why you aren't at work.

Comment

• Do anybody know if we able to obtain college credits for that training at fletc?

Comment

• Rmodel1965
        Rmodel1965 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ccga.edu in Brunswick gives credit for classes. But I only believe for citp for the people who are fletc for a long time.

• Well I applied to the new announcement and BQ'ed (No veteran's preference, though). I picked AUSP Thompson as my first choice and Danbury as my second. Hopefully I might hear back from someone in the near future.

Comment

• Thomson just had 16 new officers start on the 28th and they are less then 40% staffed in correctional services. Definitely be the best place to put your first choice

Comment

• Hey guys I would like to know if anyone has heard anything from victorville? I put in with them as my 1st choice thinking they are in dire need of officers.

Comment

• LevelHeaded
            LevelHeaded commented
            Editing a comment
            Victorville is hiring just finished a ICT class last week stay patient. Are you a vet?

• Fullblown
            Fullblown commented
            Editing a comment
            Any info on how it's like working at FCC Victorville? I know recently staff was assaulted by inmates there and that it is overcrowded due to the immigrant population.

• LevelHeaded
            LevelHeaded commented
            Editing a comment
            Detainees are gone, and that situation with staff happens its prison.

• I’m not a vet im curently in TSA. I best qualified on my NOR so i have that going for me. Im just wondering how many they trying to hire and if i have a chance being nonvet.

Comment

• Originally posted by venedeaz View Post
            I’m not a vet im curently in TSA. I best qualified on my NOR so i have that going for me. Im just wondering how many they trying to hire and if i have a chance being nonvet.
            There have been several non Vets hired. Our last class had like 2 out of 6.. While a Cert helps it's not a guarantee. Just put in. The good thing if Victorville is the amount of hiring.

Good luck

Comment

• I am curious what are some of the worst charges that people have had in their background, even if it was just hearsay and still got hired by the BOP?

Comment

• Originally posted by fedrus View Post
                I am curious what are some of the worst charges that people have had in their background, even if it was just hearsay and still got hired by the BOP?
                I can tell you it's nore user friendly now than it was 18 plus years ago. Example. Today HR will go over a lot of show stopper questions like 2-3 times. If there is one e that comes up they will tell you how to either word it, fix it or tell you to come back later if it was like too soon (like a DUI last month and yes we get those applicants) .HR use to not do that. So while an Artical 15 was bot a show stopper if you disclosed it several have been terminated (or allowed to resign) when they didn't disclose it.

Same with past job discipline. One guy said he had like 3 write ups years ago the BGI quit counting at 17 times and reported there was a mahor inconsistent number. He gone!

So there are not the folks getting walked out at 6 months like there use to be when. I hired in.

The biggest thing that gets people is not the fact there was a speed bump but the fact they did not disclose it. That make the applicant look deceptive and is an integrety issue.

MJ use in the past, DYD, bankruptcy like 3 years ago etc is no big deal. If it was within the immediate past Maybe

Just disclose it. Because they will find out. They will obtain 3 Independent people you and your reference know that you did not list and get the real you stories.

Good luck
                Last edited by in625shooter; 10-08-2018, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Question, just completed IF and through the course of it numerous people were saying it’s entirely possible to transfer somewhere else within 6 months and I just want to have you guys fact check this because I’d like to move on to another facility as soon as possible. I intend to make it through FLETC first and then put in but not sure what the likelihood is if I’m still within that first year.

any insight?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7052 users online. 321 members and 6731 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X