Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jay017 View Post
    Hello to all,

This is my first time posting and I recently received my EOD last week and if it helps anyone else my process took about a month and half from the time of OF-5 submission to EOD.

Of course I have quite a few questions though as I prepare to relocate for this position. I’ve read through most of this forum and don’t believe my questions will cause any direct repetition of an answer already given.

First, with finances being the most pressing matter for me at the moment due to relocation and taking a pay cut, what are the chances of OT going to be like for me after IF. I will be working at an FCC and understand that the OT opportunities vary by facility but if someone could give a general idea for what a rookie could expect that would be appreciated. (I also understand that until I complete ICT2 I will be limited in what I can work) and if anyone has the knowledge what’s the most anyone has heard or seen a rookie make in their first year?

Second, beyond the initial paperwork, SOPs, tours, rules, and other guidelines, what else typically gets covered in two weeks of IF? This is moreso me trying to imagine how much time actually gets spent teaching the ins/outs of the job beyond what can be presented on a powerpoint.

Lastly, is there standard equipment(outside of uniform shirt, pants, and boots) that gets issued agency-wide for new hires as I would like to get a jump on purchasing things I’ll need such as duty belt, cuff key, etc. anything anyone else can think of from experience?

Thanks in advance.
    OT does vary by institutuons however with the current shortage there seems to be more than usually for even the FCC's that didn't have a super amount. Mine is off the hook so adding 20k asa rookie isn't a stretch. Top end a maxed out Officer made 140K on rest of US salerybit he worked everything offered and is a exception.

It depends on your place and the MOU with how they do OT. Some places give custody first dibs even less seniority they have to offer custody first before noon custody. Other places department doesn't matter and it's all by seniority.

As far as issued gear depends on institutuon again. Some buy duty belys and keepers cuff cases etc some doned. Others have the bull in the china shop lock shop staff that are to much of an *****hat to issue anything wether they have it or bot.

Just play that by ear and see what the masses use if they don't issue.

IF is death by power point. You will be sort of bored. But hey your getting paid to set there, retain some I for for a test. That's about it. Again they cover the basics but again each institutuon caters a little different

Comment

• Recently, how long has it taken people to get scheduled for ICT2. I saw earlier in the forum people were mentioning 5-6 months but also saw some mentioning 2-4 months. Anybody know what the timeframe currently looks like?

Comment

• Co0311
        Co0311 commented
        Editing a comment
        It varies too much to form any sort of pattern.

Recently, how long has it taken people to get scheduled for ICT2. I saw earlier in the forum people were mentioning 5-6 months but also saw some mentioning 2-4 months. Anybody know what the timeframe currently looks like?
      Even though the hiring has slowed down it could still probably take 4-6 months as they wait to get a good amount of numbers for a class to get them almost full

But being where we have not hired anyone in a year I'm out of the loop just an experienced guess after seeing things done the last 18 years.

Good luck

Comment

• I got an OF-5 the other day for the Cumberland FCI in MD... going to turn it down (4 hours from my house).
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

• Rmodel1965
          Rmodel1965 commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't get in do 1 year and then transfer

• J2H
          J2H commented
          Editing a comment
          The GL-5 they offered was way less than I make now, with the exception its LE retirement

• After someone graduates from phase 2 at Glynco, and finishes their first year of BOP employment, do they have to repeat Glynco if they leave BOP employment and then return later? We had one former CO get on with the local city police, get tired of family disputes and stolen bicycle reports after three years, and he returned to BOP. I don't think he had to repeat Glynco. Is there an official position statement? Thanks.

Comment

• 17Jeep
          17Jeep commented
          Editing a comment
          Where I work I know of two guys that quit before their year was up and didn’t have to do Glynco only finish their probationary year where they had left off. Another guy was just outside the three year mark so he had to do Glynco all over again.

• Co0311
          Co0311 commented
          Editing a comment
          There's a three year cutoff. If you return after that, you have to go back. That's from HR.

• Originally posted by Signal108M View Post
        After someone graduates from phase 2 at Glynco, and finishes their first year of BOP employment, do they have to repeat Glynco if they leave BOP employment and then return later? We had one former CO get on with the local city police, get tired of family disputes and stolen bicycle reports after three years, and he returned to BOP. I don't think he had to repeat Glynco. Is there an official position statement? Thanks.
        I believe there is a 5 year window that your good on a reinstatement. Not 100% sure but there is a timeline and if your under it you don't have to go. Which is silly since once you go through a Police academy your golden within that state where folks jump department s all the time.

Comment

Recently, how long has it taken people to get scheduled for ICT2. I saw earlier in the forum people were mentioning 5-6 months but also saw some mentioning 2-4 months. Anybody know what the timeframe currently looks like?
          It was fast for me. My EOD was 7/22/2018. My Glynco date is 10/16/2018.

Comment

• Ty808
            Ty808 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! How was your first month working? I start in about a week.

• Reddevil2006
            Reddevil2006 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s been good so far. I’ve been on Morning watch pretty much the whole month. I got to evenings next week. It’s pretty easy going where I work. Have you made it to Colorado yet? Best of luck for when you start!

• Ty808
            Ty808 commented
            Editing a comment
            I start on Monday. Stay safe out there brother. Maybe we might see each other at FLETC

• Reddevil2006
            Reddevil2006 commented
            Editing a comment
            You stay safe as well! And you never know!

• Originally posted by Reddevil2006 View Post

It was fast for me. My EOD was 7/22/2018. My Glynco date is 10/16/2018.
          Thats pretty quick. When I went in 2015 I had been working for 6 months already

Comment

• Reddevil2006
            Reddevil2006 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s what I’ve heard. That it usually takes 5-6 months. I’m looking forward to it though!

• I want to get ahead of the game and start ordering my uniforms before starting. What is authorized to where with the polo shirts as far as cargo pants? 5.11 khaki cargo? Color restriction?

Comment

• Was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'd been referred for a while and almost missed the OF-5 that was emailed to me. It is due today, and since I have to work, I filled it out and submitted it last night. It said I needed to call HR to schedule an interview, which I intended to do today on my lunch break. I'm going through my application and my documents, and I can't find it under completed documents or when I tried to download my application. That was the only place I saw the HR number listed. Is there a way to see that form? It said I had to call during normal business hours, and I'm worried I won't be able to get in contact with them today which is the deadline. I'm trying to get in touch with Coleman prison in FL. Will they call me perhaps?

Comment

• Reddevil2006
              Reddevil2006 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m not sure but you could try calling the institution and ask to speak to Human Resources. They should be able to forward your call over.

• 2ndXthecharm
              2ndXthecharm commented
              Editing a comment
              I did but didn't get through. Wasn't sure if the number was the actual facility or HR for all of BoP that I was supposed to contact. I still can't find the OF-5 on my application page.

I'm going to keep trying just worried I won't be able to get through. Only have about 15 mins left on my lunch and I get another 15 mins in a few hours.

• Originally posted by Ty808 View Post
            I want to get ahead of the game and start ordering my uniforms before starting. What is authorized to where with the polo shirts as far as cargo pants? 5.11 khaki cargo? Color restriction?
            I ordered my uniform from Unitech. You can order from AD Meyers as well. It’s the charcoal gray uniform pants that are authorized. There’s class A and class B. I hear the class A fits better and aren’t as loose in the groin area. I ordered class B before I heard that there was a difference. I’m waiting on my uniforms. Since I had to send them back. The website states to order a size too big but they ended up being way too big. I’m not sure if others have that issue though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ty808 View Post
              I want to get ahead of the game and start ordering my uniforms before starting. What is authorized to where with the polo shirts as far as cargo pants? 5.11 khaki cargo? Color restriction?
              Being a stone cold RoojieDO BOT EVER wear any Khakis 511 or anything as that's the same color of inmates clothing .you will see established staff members with a BOP whatever polo and khaki 511 pants but bot a good idea for a FNG

Comment

• Originally posted by in625shooter View Post

Being a stone cold RoojieDO BOT EVER wear any Khakis 511 or anything as that's the same color of inmates clothing .you will see established staff members with a BOP whatever polo and khaki 511 pants but bot a good idea for a FNG
                Yeah I really dont get this. Management says not to wear the same colors as inmates (green, khaki) and then does it. As a rookie though I highly suggest you go with the basic uniform. You really don't want to look all highspeed billy badass going in your first year.

Comment

• Yungstar713
                  Yungstar713 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Whats the basic uniform though? I start monday and am wondering the same thing what uniform i should get

• dox1842
                  dox1842 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The basic uniform comes from an official BOP supplier. AD Meyers or Unitec. Dont wear anything from Truspec, 5.11 ect. You start on monday as in you start IF? If so you wear business casual. You cant order uniforms until you get your credentials or bop email address.

• Originally posted by dox1842 View Post

Yeah I really dont get this. Management says not to wear the same colors as inmates (green, khaki) and then does it. As a rookie though I highly suggest you go with the basic uniform. You really don't want to look all highspeed billy badass going in your first year.

The issue is you as a Rookie are a new face that nobody knows. As a Rookie everyone has to take their lumps and it goes better if they realize their role so to speak.

As far as the basic uniform your choice of the charcoal grey button up or polo shirt with the charcoal grey pants

Comment

• dox1842
                  dox1842 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I get what you are saying but this issue of not wearing what the inmates wear is a safety issue. If the institution gets taken over and the warden, captain, and staff are hostage the FBI cant tell us from the inmates if we are wearing the same clothes as them.

• in625shooter
                  in625shooter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dox, in that case of a hostage crisis if it lasts for more than a few hours in a prison setting staff are going to have a pretty good chance of being put in inmates clothing by the captors. Which is why they should teach you EVERYONE will get restrained when it's over u til they can positively Identify staff from inmates.

With the dress down stuff there is more of a threat of an inmate walking out the front entrance like one did at USP Leavenworth in 1979 with a home (cell) made uniform.

Lot of things BOP is stupid on and I don't like, pick your battles. Some things your just not gonna change

• dox1842
                  dox1842 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ahh that makes sense shooter. I am starting to realize that with these old hacks. I get it though, If I was in corrections for 20+ years I wouldn't want some rookie telling me how to do my job.

• Hey just finished Fletc on Thursday, let me know if anyone has any questions.

Comment

• KJB
                  KJB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you stay on site and if so do the TV's in the rooms have HDMI ports? How fast is the WiFi?

• LevelHeaded
                  LevelHeaded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I stayed in the dorms and the TVs had hdmi plug ins. I didn’t use the WiFi, people were complaining about it left and right. You also have to pay for it.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8201 users online. 330 members and 7871 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X