Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmart15 View Post
    I signed up for this thread alone.

I'm looking at joining BoP. I have 13.5 years in the Air Force as a cop and initially applied back in January 2018 since I'm currently set to separate in January 2019 and was under the impression it's best to apply to federal jobs a year out. I didn't go too far in the application process, just to where I had to sign the OF-5. I contacted the HR department of the facility I was applying to and they told me I had applied much too soon but to reapply down the road. I explained my situation and she stated that with my background they'd love to have me and that they were expecting some vacancies due to several people retiring around the time I'd be separating from the military.

About a month ago I once again contacted the HR department of the same facility just to confirm once more that they were expecting to have vacancies and the woman said they were and informed me to apply in September so my name would be at the top of the canidate list once they get the funding for hiring on Oct 1st. She also once again said I'd have no problem getting in due to my background.

Now, reading through the recent portion of this thread, it looks like it's very tough to get hired by BoP right now due to numerous factors. While I understood this woman never promised me a job in writing, it did sound very promising each time I talked with her but now I'm worried that the job I was planning on may not be as available as I first thought.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.
    Best bet would be to apply for quite a few other agencies along with BOP and see how things go. There are many places better to be than BOP and a couple are hiring all the time.

Best of luck to you.
    “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• in625shooter
      in625shooter commented
      Editing a comment
      I was similar with 13 years of active duty. I hired in at age 32 so i only had to do 20 years. Which equals 34% (1.7% per year for your first 20 then 1% for each year over 20) of my high 3 years (plus TSP and social security suppliment) and since I bought back my military I will retire at 20 years in BOP but 33 years of Federal service with 47% plus TSP and SSS.

As far as making 6 figures in 5 years not likely. Yeas you could be at a place that makes a lot of OT but even then with being seniority based and starting as a 5,6 or 7 even with a high COLA a hard task. And to get the 6 figures as a GS your talking a maxed out 12 and very very few (with exception of Med or Pshyc DRs) will one get that many promotions or step increases.
      Last edited by in625shooter; 07-31-2018, 12:00 AM.

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      If I were in his shoes I would take a job with BP where he would be non competitive to GS 12 and has premium pay. They are hurting for qualified applicants and he would be hitting 6 figures in about 5 years or so.

Getting a covered position that has a premium pay (Leap, Auo or BPAPRA) will mean a high 3 most likely well into 6 figures.

I personally would only take a job with BOP while other applications were pending but each person has their own preferences. It can be somewhat difficult to get the right job in the right location with the Feds.

• Rmodel1965
      Rmodel1965 commented
      Editing a comment
      I should make very close to 6 figures this year or maybe over that. But I got on the ws scale. My 4th year starts in Sept. But I also kill some OT. Got 30 hours this week.

• Exbpa340
      Exbpa340 commented
      Editing a comment
      Rmodel...I would highly recommend that you try and get a covered position that earns LEAP, AUO, BPAPRA or COPRA. Those premium pays are considered basic pay for retirement purposes. Which means that TSP contribution and GOV TSP matching is based on base plus premium. Also, it is included in the high three. That’s why an SA will have a high three around 135k or 140k. A Deportation Officer will be around 125k or 130k.

• Ok I got my official offer of employment which I September 16. How does uniforms ordering work? When will we be in full uniform? Should we start ordering it now?

Comment

• Rmodel1965
      Rmodel1965 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lot of people have been having their cards compromised after ordering from ad. You could order ad uniforms from Sally's cop shop

• Co0311
      Co0311 commented
      Editing a comment
      Since IF is short, order your uniforms as soon as possible. The setup changed recently, so you want to make sure what you need is in stock.

• Ty808
      Ty808 commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried to order some stuff thru Meyer but I wouldn’t let me. Says I need a government email. But since I haven’t started yet I don’t have one. How to go about this? Should I email HR?

• LevelHeaded
      LevelHeaded commented
      Editing a comment
      Government email??? I ordered uniforms from BOP Meyers 2 weeks ago. I didn’t register with any government email.

• Rmodel1965 why they have the cards compromise?

Comment

• 17Jeep
      17Jeep commented
      Editing a comment
      The third party credit card transactions company got hacked. They got me luckily my bank was able to stop the transactions that were being charged to me. Started ordering from Unitec and haven’t had no problems.

• I know I’m getting ahead of myself but I’m curious. After staying with the BOP for a few years where can one go after? Can you just lateral to any agency? And how does lateral movement work?

Comment

• You can apply for other agencies... wouldn't necessarily be a transfer, would still have to compete
      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
      DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

• Originally posted by Ty808 View Post
        I know I’m getting ahead of myself but I’m curious. After staying with the BOP for a few years where can one go after? Can you just lateral to any agency? And how does lateral movement work?
        The advantages would be...
        You would be earning covered years of service for FERS enhanced retirement (20 years @ 50 or 25 years @ any age).
        You appointment would be career conditional for the first 3 years and then career after that.

There are no laterals to other agencies (typically). Your experience as a GL 7 CO for BOP would be better than you currently have (many BOP veterans have gone on to bigger and better things) but it is truly the blue collar federal law enforcement agency.

You would need to apply for any job opening through an open announcement. There could be scenarios where the announcement is only open to current federal employees or some announcements could be limited to department employees (for example DOJ). Under those circumstances it would be beneficial to be a government or certain department employee.
        “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• Co0311
          Co0311 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 to all of that. Lots of government agencies ask for your SF-50 (prior federal service) when applying, so that implies preference. And the current BOP openings are a good example of the different hiring groups. Because of the BOP's recent restructuring, many of their jobs are only open to displaced or current fed employees. Just search USAJobs for BOP jobs, unclick the 'open to public' filter and see how many more vacancies appear.

• Duty belt question: Which ones are good and high quality? And what do you recommend to get for it?

Comment

• Rmodel1965
          Rmodel1965 commented
          Editing a comment
          First place I worked only gave keepers and a chain. Place I'm at now will give you all your duty belt stuff and shouldn't need to buy anything

• Camelbak
          Camelbak commented
          Editing a comment
          My institution only issued us two keepers, radio pouch, and OC holder (this was about two years ago). To be honest, it was all crap. The radio pouch and OC holder fell apart in less than a year. Therefore, I went a bought decent quality gear. I use a Klik belt, they are a bit expensive, but it has been worth the money.

• does anyone work at an FDC or MDC and how is it?

Comment

• Camelbak
          Camelbak commented
          Editing a comment
          I work at a MCC (same thing really). It is not bad at all. The majority of inmates are only here a few weeks or months (think of it has a federal jail). You get male and female inmates of all security levels. I’ve been here almost two years now and never had to use force. In my experience, it has been easygoing. Yeah, things still happen (fights, suicides, assaults, and etc.) However, they are few and far between. I’m going to a different agency in a few weeks. However, my time here hasn’t been bad at all. There are some staff that spent their whole careers here.
          Last edited by Camelbak; 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6967 users online. 251 members and 6716 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X